• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Positive & Negative Energy

Joshy

Explorer
I miss positive and negative energy. The damage name changes still bother me as well.

I'm planning a campaign and I think bringing them back for it will be really fitting.

Does anyone on here have any experience doing something simular?

NotAYakk

Legend
WRT = "With regards to".

Feywilde was designed to be an adventurable positive material plane, shadowfel was designed to be an adventurable negative material plane. In 4e, a D&D cosmology was put together that focused on "how does this make for adventuring stories".

They did this with the Abyss, Astral and Elemental Planes as well.

Last edited:

Joshy

Explorer
Lol I thought it was a fantasy term.

Damage type name changes:
Sonic - Thunder
Electricity - Lightning

Positive use to heal the living and negative use to heal the undead.

The most comparable experience I've had in 5e was the party having a pet baby shambling mound (shambling lump?) and my wizard healing it with shocking grasp.

I see no particular barriers in 5e to saying that healing is positive energy that damages the undead, and adding in negative energy. I would not try to correlate them to radiant and/or necrotic damage as those are already used extensively, and you don't want to have to rewrite how they operate in the system.

I would also refrain from creating a negative energy cantrip as the designers strongly discourage healing cantrips for homebrew, and it's one of their few suggestions for homebrew that I'm really inclined to take to heart.

Joshy

Explorer
Yeah I wouldn't have any healing cantrip.
I have played around with one that allowed the target to use a Hit Die to heal but they had to be conscious.

I thought of just changing the healing and harm spells. But i didn't know if there was something I was missing that could break the game.

Remove ads