• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Post-Ragnarok world; anyone done this?

Balrog

First Post
I am working on a homebrew setting that takes place in a post-Ragnarok cosmos. The battle of the Aesir vs. Loki and Co. has left Midgard in chaos and most of the Norse pantheon dead, lost and forgotten, or greatly reduced in power. The cosmology will be one in which Midgard, due to the death throes of Jormungandr the Midgard Serpent, has shifted and has become sucked into the borders of the Elemental Planes.

Following this radical shift, Midgard has for the most part become one with the Elemental Planes, surrounded and even dominated by the powers of the four elemental planes; djinni , efreeti, dao, and marid all carving out places of power in Midgard. And on top of that, four new major elemental deities have filled the vacuum of power and are trying to drive out completely all traces of the Aesir, and convert all the major races to their own worship. Survival of the storms of the various elements is difficult, and most of Midgard is inhospitable, except for the various elementals, genies, and their princes.

The center of Midgard, though, is like the eye of the storm. Normalcy almost rules there, and it is aptly named Stormhaven. It is an area roughly the size of the Flannaess and it is loosely controlled by genasi or half-elemental Lords who indirectly serve their genie masters by controlling trade and politics, and "advising" puppet human and demi-human kingdoms.

Anyway, i have many adventures lined up that can take my players probably up to at least 10th level. I was just curious if anyone has ever done a setting similar to this and would have any feedback. i have never run my own setting before, i have always just used the standards, either Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms (not that there is anything wrong with that, but i desired a change this time). If anyone is curious about Stormhaven, i have more info of course, but i am trying to make my point on this post as briefly as possible (too late)

Balrog,
The Flame of Udun

Crothian

First Post
THis is a very interesting idea. I'm working up to a Ragnorak like event in another game system. I use the Norse gods, so it will be Ragnoral to them.

Avalanche games has some good Norse suppliments, but all of them are pre Ragnorak. Actually, it's desifgned for the PCs to try to stop it from happening.

Fist I'd decide if the PCs are still going to worship the norse gods, at least the few that are left. I think that would be interesting. The elemental stuff fits, and don't forget to have giants. The Norse Giants are to be feared.

Remove ads