Post your recipes

Gulla

Adventurer
I just can't let this go without some more recipies. I really love cooking (and eating).

Fruitcake
300 g Hazelnuts, chopped
100 g Walnuts, chopped
200 g Dates, chopped
150 g Raisins
150 g candied cherries, chopped (It's those oversweet very red or green or blue cherries you get in some cocktails)
100 g Flour (the simple, nonraising, white stuff made from wheat)
1 teaspoon Vanilla sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
---
125 g sugar
3 eggs
50 g melted butter

Mix everything above "---"
Whip eggs and sugar until light and fluffy (The dictionary claims the word is 'eggnog')
mix the dry stuff with the egg. Add melted butter last.

Put in a cake tin (20 cm * 35 cm) and bake at 150 centigrades for 45 minutes. Cool down.

Pack the cake in aluminium foil and store cold and dry for 3-6 weeks. Serve in smal squares. Goes well with whipped cream or icecream.

Baked Apples (Norwegian: Eplekompott)
Green apples (2 per person)
Sugar
Raisins
Cinnamon

Pre heat the oven to 225 centigrades.

Wash the apples and remove the core. Cut the apples in slices 3-4 mm thick
Cover the bottom of an oven-proof dish with apples. Sprinkle a few raisins, some cinnamon and sugar over. Put a new layer of apples and sprinkle. Repeat until you're out of apples. (If you get more than 3 layers your dish is too small).

Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes (the apples should be warm and soft but not mushy)

Serve with cold custard or vanilla icecream.

Stuffed Chicken Fillet
4 Chicken Fillets
200 g Grated Cheese (gouda, Jarlsberg or maybe cheddar)
50-75 g Salami, shredded
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon flour
(Half) a bottle of dry, white wine

Mix everything except the chicken, preferably in a plastic bag.
Cut a 'pocket' in each fillet and stuff 1/4 of the mixed stuffing in there. Close with wooden tooth-pics (without mint flavour...)

Salt and Pepper the fillets. Fry the fillets in a hot pan until golden on both sides. Add approximately 0.2 litres of whine and let the fillets simmer under a lid until cooked through (5 minutes). If you only used half a bottle of whine, drink the rest, if you used a full bottle save it for the meal.

Serve with boiled rice and boiled carrots.

Basil Chicken in Cream Sauce
4 Chicken Fillets
Dried basil
Full Cream

Salt and pepper the fillets and turn them over in dried basil (mostly covering them).

Fry the fillets in butter in a hot pan until golden(ish) on both sides. Add full cream until halfway covering the fillets. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes until the fillets are cooked. Add more cream if the sauce gets too thick.

Serve with boiled rice mixed with maize.

French Chocolate Cake
200 g Dark chocolate (55% coco)
150 g sugar
125 g butter
100 g Flour (not self rising)
4 eggs

Melt the chocolate and the butter.
Split the eggs (whites and yolks)
Add averything but the egg whites to the melted chocolate and butter.
Whip the egg whites until stiff.
Carefully fold in the whipped egg whites in the chocolate mix.

Put in a round bakin tin (24 cm diameter) and bake in the oven (close to the bottom) at 180 centigrades for 40 minutes.

This cake is supposed to be slightly sticky in the middle. If it isn't it has been too long in the oven.

Serve warm with icecream, of cource :D

Håkon
(hmm my recipie for Dark Chocolate Mousse takes too much room to get in here.)

caudor said:
My family calls it Gulash (I'm sure Gulash is actually something else), but here you go:

I've found that nearly every family has their own form of "goulash". My mom used to make her goulash with elbow macaroni, tomatoes, hamburger, and brown sugar. The Universe's mom makes "goulash" with macaroni, spaghetti sauce, and hamburger. My high school best friend's mom made "goulash" with noodles, corn, and tomato soup... the list could go on.

Goulash (in the midwest at least) is a term as undefinable as "hotdish".

Last edited:

reveal

Adventurer
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
See... casserole is almost the same thing as hotdish... but usually casserole has crushed up chips or bread crumbs on top and hotdish doesn't. :)

My wife's family used to make tuna casserole with crushed BBQ potato chips on top. Yummy. :)

Gulla

Adventurer
Just one more. This is a local speciality of Kristiansund and the area around it. (Where my fathers family comes from). A small fishing community with long traditions with all sorts of fishing and fishing related industries.

Balls (Norvegian: Ball)
1 kg coalfish fillet (pollack for the US)
0.5 kg haddock fillet (or cod fillet of you cannot get haddock)
8 medium sized potatoes
flour (approximately 4-5 tablespoons)
Salt.

For boiling:
3 litres water
3/4 dl salt
1 tablespoon bullion powder (approx 1-2 bullion cubes)
A good dash full milk (approx 1 dl)

Blubber in small cubes, 5-10mm (the white fat from bacon, but without the meat and skin of the bacon and not salted or smoked. You can use nonsmoked bacon with little meat and a lot of fat instead)

Put the blubber in a pan on low temperature (typically about where you would put the temperature when something should simmer for a long time)
Skin the potatoes and sprinkle salt on the fish (dont be shy with the salt, a table spoon should not be too much)
Set the water to boil and add salt bullion and milk
Grind fish and potatoes and add flour. (I have a meatgrinder I use for this. You probably could do it with a mincer of some kind as well).
Mix the stuff well togehter. You should be able to form it into balls with your moist hands. Do so, a little bit smaller than tennis balls is the correct size.
Put the balls in the boiling "water" and let them simmer for 20 minutes. If they fall apart you had too little flour and/or potatoes in. If they get rubbery you had too much flour in.

Serve hot with boiled potatoes, bouled carrots and boiled Swedish turnips (rutabaga?). And the blubber which by now should be bathing in its own fat and be close to crispy. Take care not to burn it.

Håkon
who will now take a break and consider adding some more puddings later

Gulla

Adventurer
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
Goulash (in the midwest at least) is a term as undefinable as "hotdish".
:eek:

But it is really a very nice and traditional Hungarian dish... (But of it seems that there is one recipie for each family down there as well, at least all three Hungarian recipies I have are different :) )

The traditional Hungarian stuff is basically fried cubes of beef and onion boiled in a broth with peppers and lot of paprika powder and tomatoes and potatoes.

Håkon

reveal said:
I love, LOVE, food. I'll try anything once
Very clear evidence that you haven't had enough weird stuff to eat yet. :) Probably the worst thing I've ever eaten was "mondongo steak"--fried stomach lining of a cow. Blood sausage isn't much better; barbecued scabs. Armadillo is probably one of the odder things I ate; but my little sister's got me beat--she had broiled monkey once.

Here's a good recipe adapted from something I used to eat all the time in Argentina. Ingredients are adapted to what's readily available in the US, and I don't actually measure anything out; I just "eyeball" it.

Empanadas salteñas

Create the "meat mix" by browning about half a pound or so of ground beef and half of a chopped yellow or white onion in a large frying pan. Season to taste with minced garlic (fresh is the best, but garlic powder will do in a pinch), chopped red pepper, salt, cumin, chopped oregano and parsley. Remove from heat, stir in half a cup or so of chopped green olives and two or three chopped boiled eggs.

To simulate tapas de empanadas I use eggroll wraps. There not exactly the same, but IMO, are just as good in a slightly different way. With a shallow bowl of water handy, put about two tablespoons or so of the "meat mix" in the middle of one of the eggroll wraps. Fold it in half and seal it with the water. Then, fold the edges of the wrap over to completely close the package. Ideally, you'll be what looks like a fat half-circle with the round edges neatly folded over in a braided appearance, but let's face it; it doesn't matter too much what they look like. If they're tightly sealed, you're OK.

Place them on a cookie sheet an inch or two apart. Brush the tops with raw whipped egg. Preheat your oven to 350º or so, and bake until they turn slightly golden brown. Take out, allow to cool, and enjoy. They're still good cold, but I prefer 'em hot.

Here's another "recipe" I learned in Argentina; basically, again, I don't measure anything out, I just kinda mix it up until I get something I like. I do it kinda as second nature, but I'll try and spell out how I do it, more or less.

Chimichurri

To be spread on meat (especially asado to be traditional, but slow-cooked flank steaks are my favorite) or bread (especially hard-shelled Italian bread), or whatever else you want to eat it with. It's spicy, but not hot. Unless you go out of your way to make it so, of course. My version contains about twelve years of tweaking stuff since I got back from Argentina, partially to reflect available materials in the US, but mostly just because I like it better that way.

In a bottle about the size of an empty salad dressing bottle, mix about a tablespoon each of dried and chopped oregano and parsley (I don't use fresh of either; just your typical McCormick spice cabinet stuff works fine, IMO.) About half a tablespoon of minced garlic or garlic powder, and then less than that even of chopped red pepper, salt and cumin. Seal it up well and shake until thoroughly mixed. Then slowly pour vinegar (I prefer white) and virgin olive oil in even portions until you have a kinda sludgy consistency. Come back in about an hour, and you'll find that the spices have absorbed a bunch of the liquid; you'll need to add more. You want it to remain fairly thick.

And that's that. It seems every Argentine housewife does it a bit differently, and I've seen several online recipes for chimichurri, but few of them differ substantially from mine. Some of them call for red vinegar instead of white, and some of them add a few other spices included chopped black pepper corns, cilantro, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme, etc. and many of them call for only fresh spices, but I'm not that snobby. Since coming home, I've also mixed in a bit of lemon juice (only a few teaspoons) and a drop or two of Liquid Smoke, and I like what that does to it. Frankly, it doesn't seem right to talk about measuring specific quantities; just make the stuff up depending on how much you like the spice in question. I've seen so many varieties that I'm convinced that it's not possible to actually do it wrong.

Also note, although I'm notorious for my love of extremely spicy-hot food, neither of the above is very hot at all. Although it can easily be made so by re-jigging the ratios of pepper, the types of peppers, and my "one size fits all" addition of a bit of Dave's Insanity Sauce.

Last edited:

Remove ads