• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Posy is back! Posy's Diary, New and Improved with poll(tm)! Please vote!

What do you think of this story hour?

• It is my favorite Story Hour! Does Posy have a phone number?

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • It is in my top five! Posy is charming and funny!

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • I check it when I see it has a recent post. It’s entertaining, and I recommend it to others.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I don’t like it very much.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • This is not a good Story Hour at all. Stop writing.

Votes: 3 6.3%

Oghma

First Post
Ok, I'll make a commitment for the next update.

There will be a new Posy by Wednesday, Feb 13th.

If I don't add my Posifying to this week's schedule, I'll never get to it. :eek:

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Now you have done a public promise to Posy's fans, if you fail we will kill you...

Wait a moment...

If we kill you, you wont be able to write more Posy tales...

O.K., we won't kill you, but please don't fail us...

:) ;) :D

Oghma

First Post
Update about the update!

I'll probably be putting it in later tonight. I have only a few things to finish, but little time to do it in.

Thanks for your patience and encouragement!

Oghma

Oghma

First Post
At last!

If there are typos, I'll come back to correct them later. :p Oghma

Flocktime 11 (cont’d)

Oh! I forgot to mention that we had that letter which was on the captain of the guard. It read:

Dear Jorus,

Let this letter serve as an introduction for the Captain of my guard, Balen. I also commend my daughter to you.. I hope her betrothal in the next few months will serve our purpose as more than the union of a daughter and a son.

Strok Thockwood

We’re not sure what that roaring noise was. It appeared to be heading away from us, so we are just riding in the direction of Nulb.

I checked back with the two girls. They’d been sitting next to Ord on the wagon. I had to climb up over some of our stuff, but I was able to sit on the footrest (just my size!) and face the two humans. We’d loaded the guards’ bodies at the far end of the cart, and covered them up.

One is blond, and pretty, and looks like she’s been well taken care of, at least until this attack. Her eyes are cornflower blue, (mine are a bit darker) and she stared vacantly off over the mule’s ears. She was the prettier of the two, and I know that at least one of the bandits had been on top of her when we got there. Poor thing!

The other is a bit older, and looks more like a maid or perhaps a lady-in-waiting. She looked like life held less surprises for her than the first one.

I spoke to the darker haired one. “My name is Posy. I was named after a handful of flowers. What are your names?”

She quietly said, “I’m Mora, and she’s Noria.”

“Where were you headed?” I tried to speak solicitously, because I didn’t want her to feel interrogated. I could sense some impatience from Ord, but I think he was keeping quiet because he knew he might spook them. I think a roaring dwarf would do that to me, frankly, after what these two had been through.

“To Blaisingdell.” It looked like Noria wasn’t even aware we were talking.

“Where were you coming from?”

“Nulb.”

“Why do you think you were attacked?”

“They didn’t want us to get there.” She was speaking in a monotone, trying hard not to feel anything. How strong of her! Most women would either be catatonic, like Noria, or screaming in hysterics like Bonnie Thimbleprick when I made her skirt transparent. This woman was holding it together to give me information that might help.

“Would you and Noria like something warm to drink?”

Mora nodded. I reached over to the dwarves keg and pulled out their mugs. I looked at Ord and he glared at me a bit, but I gave him a look. I filled the mugs and heated the ale and added spiciness with my spell. Mora took the mug from me and put it in Noria’s hands and then curled Noria’s hands around the mug before she took her own.

“They knew you were coming?”

She nodded.

“Did you know any of them?”

Mora shook her head.

I paused. I was about to ask her to draw a conclusion, or to examine why she drew a conclusion. She was obviously still shaken, and holding herself in by strength of will. Women like her make me think there is hope for humans after all. I decided to risk it.

“What made you think they were after you, and trying to stop you?”

“It w-w-was the th-th-things they were sh-sh-shouting! It was horrible!” Her lip had begun to quiver and she finally broke down, sobbing, her face sliding down like ice on a sun-warmed window. She tried to hide her face in the mug and hot tears began to spill down her face. I glanced over to Noria and saw tears begin on her face, too.

I took the mug from her hand and held her while she sobbed. It must have looked a bit funny, three-foot-tall me comforting a five-something-foot-tall woman, but she was sitting and I was standing a bit high on the footrest, but it was the best I could do. Noria leaned into Mora’s and my shoulder and we all cried a little together. I made soothing sounds and said things like “You’re safe now, we’ll protect you.”

Why does this sort of thing happen? What brings anyone to inflict such pain on another? Is it the simple fact of their helplessness that somehow makes someone feel they can inflict evil on them? These girls hadn’t harmed anyone, and whatever the reason was they were attacked; it doesn’t justify what happened to them. I was angry, and I was glad we’d killed them all, and I hoped we’d find that blond woman that took part in this and that I could make her see what she had done. I got so angry my body started to stiffen, but I caught myself and relaxed before the girls noticed. I had to remain calm and comforting.

I called Ember up and got her to put her head in Noria’s lap, to give her something to do that was comforting and peaceful. Ember is a sweet dog, and she snuggled right up to Noria.

“Is this your dog?” she said quietly.

“Yes, her name is Ember because of that bright red mark on her chest, like a spark,” I said.

She looked and spotted it and scratched Ember’s chest. Ember likes that, and her tail wagged and she licked Noria’s face. Ember was doing a great job of comforting.

I turned to Mora again and said, “So they knew who you were and why you were traveling.”

She nodded. Yes or no questions were working pretty well, because at the moment it was easier for her not to say anything, which risked her getting too caught up.

“We’re heading back to Nulb, is that ok?”

She nodded.

“Do you have family there we can take you to?”

She nodded again.

“Posy,” Ord said, “we need to take a rest break now, give the mules some food and water.”

“Do you two want to stay up here in the wagon?” I asked.

They both nodded.

We stopped the wagon in a small shaded clearing and gave some water and a good rubdown to the mules. I related what little I’d learned from the women to the rest of the group, and since we were headed to where they wanted to go, we did at least not need to change where we were heading.

Gimil said, “I’m not happy about that noise we heard earlier. I’ve heard some more crashing sounds from that direction.”

Rattlin, unfamiliar with forests and woodlands, said, ‘Do you think it was Orcs, Goblins? What about giants? Or more of those bugbears?” He jumped up and down. “We can handle ‘em!”

Ord ignored Rattlin. “That woman may be coming around in front of us to setup an ambush. I would be better if we found it before they sprung it.”

Gimil said, “Rattlin, why don’t you take the reins for a while, I’ll scout ahead on the right side while Ord scouts ahead on the left.”

“Drive the mules? This’ll be fun!”

I said, “Rattlin! Have a care. Mora and Noria don’t need any bouncing around. They need a little peace and quiet. Drive carefully.” (If I had only known!)

Gimil and Ord set out ahead while I hopped on the back after reassuring the women. I poked at the unconscious bandit and he stirred, but didn’t wake up. I couldn’t wait to have a chance to talk with him!

Suddenly there was a crashing of underbrush and a whooping yell to my left, which was where the noises had come from before. Bursting out of the underbrush was an immense brown bear! I’ll have to admit, the bear looked as surprised to see us as we were!

Rattlin took one look at the women and leapt off the side of the wagon and charged at the bear! “You won’t touch them!” he shouted as he drew his sword. He took an inspired poke at the bear and hit it, causing it to rear back. It towered over Rattlin and roared.

The mules, smelling bear and hearing the roar and crashing noises, took off running, the women hanging on for dear life! I hopped off, thinking that Rattlin was in a lot of trouble, and praying that the mules would be able to stopped by Gimil or Ord. Both of them were already down the trail! It would take a while for their short dwarf legs to get back. I shot three missiles at the bear.

I had forgotten how quick Gimil was. He ran almost the whole way back by the time the bear had recovered from it’s surprise. It took a swing at poor little Rattlin and hit him and grabbed him with one paw! With the other paw, the bear got a firm hold and ripped into Rattlin! Rattlin took a weak, seemingly drunken swing at the bear and fell to the ground.

Gimil charged up and yelled at the bear, and took a mighty swing at it, caused a large cut to open in it’s side. I shot some more missiles at it, but I was keeping a careful eye on Rattlin and was looking for an opening to move him out of the way. Ord was pounding up the road towards us.

The bear swung again at Gimil, but Gimil ducked and sliced at it again with his sword. Roaring, the bear took a step back from the force of the blow and stepped in again to attack.

It was all happening so fast, I didn’t think I could get to Rattlin. He lay there at the bears feet, bleeding, and I had a healing draught ready, but I didn’t want to get anywhere near that thing, with it’s long arms, and I certainly didn’t want to get in Gimil’s way.

The bear grabbed Gimil, and it looked like he was going to try to rend him like he did Rattlin. Gimil, however, had other ideas and with a violent motion, tore himself out of the bear’s arms. Then, with a powerful overhand swing, cut the bear deep between the neck and shoulder and killed it.

Ord ran up to Rattlin and reached him just as I did.

Gimil said, “The wagon!” and took off in the direction it had gone.

I said “Mora! Noria!” and ran to keep up with him, leaving Rattlin and Ord to jog back when they could.

When we got to the wagon, we’d discovered that our prisoner had had his throat neatly cut. Jennifer had been there. Ord and Rattlin came back to say that the bear had recent arrow wounds. Jennifer’s work, again.

The women were huddled together in the seat of the wagon, but the wagon looked like the wheel had been broken. Ord and Gimil are jury-rigging a wheel to get us to Nulb, which is only a few hours away.

I cast a sleep spell on Mora and Noria. They’d had enough. I hoped to explain their unconsciousness by making something up about fatigue. It’s almost true, anyway.

Oghma

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Wow, Oghma!
It was a long wait, but it was worth of it. Genial, as usual!

Horacio, Posy fan #1 (or #2 or #3...)

Matchstick

Adventurer
Excellent as usual.

It's interesting to hear Posy, who I think of as rather innocent, dealing with some pretty harsh realities. She's handling it better than I would have thought, though I wonder if she's being strong for the women, and will break down a bit once they are safe.

How have the other members of the party reacted to this ourage? They're obviously staying clear of the women, wisely, but I haven't seen much indication of their feelings about this.

Maybe Gimil can post to let us know!

:)

Oghma

First Post
I've always seen Posy as having a hefty dose of horse-sense. There are times when she's sentimental, but I've always thought of her as having that roll-up-her-sleeves and get the job done type of mentality. I think that is what has sustained her through this.

For a girl whose parents had her bags all packed (see post #1), she's got a lot of self confidence, too. She's kind of irrepressible, which is good for the only gnome, and only girl in a party with strong-willed dwarves.

As for her innocence, well, I think you are on target, but there is a part of Posy that is older than her years. She's very mature about inter-personal matters, and has good insights. Her familiar, Ember the dog, (+2 Sense Motive) has helped her with that also.

Oghma

Remove ads