• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Power and Pathfinder Classes - Forked Thread: Pathfinder - sell me

I hain't no Roman! However, if it's just the link you're after, here it is.

<SNIP>

edit --- Oh yes, and Elves. . . now get an Int bonus. They ('standard' Elves, that is) are finally naturally gifted with most things Wizardly, with stats that match the flavour text - about frickin' time (in the D&Dverse)! Thank you, Paizo guys 'n gals, for this almost bewildering display of logic and sanity.

Thanks for that link!

Also, YES! Yes on the elves and the final boost of int. The darn guys live for so long, they had better have picked up a few more facts and figures than your average human.

BRAVO!

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
And while I'm on that topic, for me personally, the +2/+2/-2 setup is the best so far, among all the D&D and d20 games (that I've seen).

Not a fan, myself.

It just mucks up the balance of the starting point buy.

As it stands the -2 will get be applied somewhere that it is worth 2 points (especially for dwarves and half-orcs where it is probably just going into the CHA dump) and the +2 will go somewhere that is likely worth 4-6 points (raising a 16 to an 18 or an 18 to a 20).

(This is not new to Pathfinder, of course.)

malkav666

First Post
Wulf,

There is a simple solution to your issue of unbalanced point buy.

Apply the bonuses and penalties before the players spend any points. As no score starts higher than 10 in point buy and everything from at least 12 and on down cost only a single point, you will find that no matter where they place the bonuses they will only be worth a single point.

love,

Malkav

BryonD

Hero
Not a fan, myself.

It just mucks up the balance of the starting point buy.

As it stands the -2 will get be applied somewhere that it is worth 2 points (especially for dwarves and half-orcs where it is probably just going into the CHA dump) and the +2 will go somewhere that is likely worth 4-6 points (raising a 16 to an 18 or an 18 to a 20).

(This is not new to Pathfinder, of course.)
Does the balance not already assume this?

IMO it is balanced on the presumption that the two +2s will push scores to 18 or 20. If a player elects to spread their points out more they won't get quite the same min/max bang, but they won't be screwed by any means. It is still balanced either way.

Now take a -2 to the dump stat. No real impact on the balance already established.

And honestly, stat balance isn't exactly the most fine tuned part of the game anyway.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Wulf,

There is a simple solution to your issue of unbalanced point buy.

Apply the bonuses and penalties before the players spend any points. As no score starts higher than 10 in point buy and everything from at least 12 and on down cost only a single point, you will find that no matter where they place the bonuses they will only be worth a single point.

love,

Malkav

Good suggestion. I love you, too.

IMO it is balanced on the presumption that the two +2s will push scores to 18 or 20. If a player elects to spread their points out more they won't get quite the same min/max bang, but they won't be screwed by any means. It is still balanced either way.

Honestly, I guess that depends on where you come down on the issue of system mastery and whether the very first step in character creation should contain a "Gimp Pitfall."

EDIT: Hey! I just found a new name for my next rogue!

AllisterH

First Post
An MU's survival chances, such as they were, definitely depended on the assistance of fighting men.

But did they never face rival MUs? Did not other moderately intelligent foes target them with the aim of at least disrupting their spells (which might also kill them)? Were they never victims of traps that heartier or better armored folks, or even (at later levels) those with better saving throws, would likely have survived?

Keep in mind that mid to high level D&D in 3e is scaled towards assuming the magic user is at maximum.

Back in 1e, it was quite possible for a fighter with magic plate and armour to beat down Lloth. No way, no how is it possible without much spell prep in 3e.

Remove ads