Power Source

Greatest source of power

nopantsyet

First Post
Well, I think it's rather obvious that 3 > 1. Naturally the combination of the three is going to increase power more than any individual one.

But of the three, levels seem to add the most power in my game. My ad hoc conclusion after years of DMing is that ability scores are a moderate augmentation to a few aspects of a character, while levels bring with them a broader boost.

Magic items are potentially the greatest power, but it depends on what your level of magic is. I think the recommended wealth levels create the potential for a lot of power in magic items, but if you don't shower your players with magic items, they won't have that affect. However, if all of character wealth is concentrated in a small number of powerful magic items, I'd say that tips the scale in favor of magic.

Thanee

First Post
Obviously levels, since levels also give magic items and ability scores. :p

But really, there is way too few information to answer this.

What are you comparing, a level 5 with a level 10?
You'd need a crapload of magic items and ability scores to make up for that difference.

For example, 10 points of Str and Con are probably still not worth as much as 5 levels of fighter.

*shrugs*

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Ottergame

First Post
Generally speaking, unless your abilities are so low they prevent you from carrying gear or using spells, or they are so high you are getting +20 ability modifiers from them, abilities are not very important at high levels.

scourger

Explorer
I voted levels. Experience is the best reward in the game, in my experience. High ability scores and magic items are nice additions, but they aren't strictly necessary to me.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Levels, but poltical power is nice as well. However having and using poltical power brings xp, so experianced kings that have never been adventures are still personally dangerous.
Which would you consider more powerful the 12th lvl druid, loaded with magic and good stats who does whatever her arch druidtells her, or the 10th fighter with mediocre stats, and good CHR who runs a border city.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I think that my players think that Magic Items are the One True Power Source, but I keep giving new ones and taking old ones away. (For example, when someone's captured, he's going to lose something, and possibly everything.) IMHO, power is all about levels (personal power) and contacts (NPC friends).

-- N

Remove ads