• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Powers in the class description chapter

I see from the news page that "*There won't be a spells and powers chapter. Instead, the class power suite will be located *with* the class."
This, IMO, is awesome. No more spells which are used by every class at different levels. I really like that the powers are so differentiated to give each class a flavour. I realise that 4E was going this way but I didn't think it would be total divorce of powers between classes.
Good news to me.

p.s. Strangely I also like magic being so generic that all classes use exactly the same spell list. For me it is the wishy washy middle ground that DnD has used so far that I don't like ;)

Last edited:

Intrope

First Post
mach1.9pants said:
I see from the news page that "*There won't be a spells and powers chapter. Instead, the class power suite will be located *with* the class."
This, IMO, is awesome. No more spells which are used by every class at different levels. I really like that the powers are so differentiated to give each class a flavour. I realise that 4E was going this way but I didn't think it would be total divorce of powers between classes.
Good news to me.

p.s. Strangely I also like magic being so generic that all classes use exactly the same spell list. For me it is the wishy washy middle ground that DnD has used so far that I don't like ;)
I was originally hoping that they would have a Powers chapter, based on Saga (where I found all the cross referencing of Talent Trees to be a pain).

But I suspect that the cross refing has been removed, which would make having them in the class sensible (I'm also hoping that the layout for Powers is better than the Saga Talent lists--we'll see!). In particular, it sounds like Paragon Paths/Epic Destinies don't replace your current class (like a Prestige Class does) but is an add-on. As such, you won't usually be in a situation where you're picking your next power from 8 lists in 4 different parts of the book (Jedi Knight PrC--you can pick from 2 tree in the PrC, 2 trees in two different base classes, or 4 trees in the Force Powers chapter!)

Incenjucar

Legend
Hopefully the online tools will allow you to compare all the powers directly, but for the most part this is a good change. Let's you look at a class in its entirety in one shot.

Incenjucar

Legend
Spells are just powers. They only ever needed their own chapter before because they worked entirely different from normal combat.

Demigonis

First Post
I really really like this change. The classes have unique class-specific abilities and they're all ordered exactly where they need to be. No more fingers stuck in the book holding pages between the class section and spell section. :D

Incenjucar

Legend
Agamon said:
Wow, 2-4 page class descriptions are a thing of the past. Each one will now be gig-normous!

See, I like this.

It always amazed me how they could fit most classes onto 2-4 pages, and then half the book was devoted to spells.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads