PPA: The Case of the Stoned Dude

grufflehead

First Post
'While my colleagues conduct their investigation' said Helena to the Dean, 'I wonder if there is anyone else who could tell me a little more about the victim. Who were his friends, and when did they last see him? Did he have any rivals at the college? And who occupies the room to either side? With your permission I'd like to ask if anyone heard anything unusual over the past day or so'.

[sblock="ooc"]If the Dean has no objection, while the others continue to investigate the writing, Helena will knock on the doors on either side of this room, and if there is an answer, ask the occupant(s) if they might have seen or heard anything out of the ordinary.

Diplomacy check to Gather Information:

1d20+16=36

Given that the scrap of parchment retrieved from Gerard appeared to have been torn by a clawed foot, while she is out in the hallway Helena will also look to see if there are any obvious marks on the floor which may also have been made by claws.

I suspect without Tracking this is beyond her, but nevertheless, a Perception check to look for marks:

1d20+14=23 [/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
1d20+7=22

gerard continues to concentrate on the faint lingering magic trying to deturmine the nature of it. He is suspecting transmutation of the arcane type, but he is not quite sure if that.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=OOC/MD]Also, just on the off chance it might be in the realm of Dungeoneering or Aberrations, a Knowledge check for each of these (+11 and +8 respectively).

I don't know if you'd prefer to make Knowledge rolls or if you want us to - I do make them for my players in the games I run, but I'm happy to do it for Airard if that's your preference.[/sblock]

Mithral·Dragon

First Post
The Dean shrugged, though he wasn't dismissing the question. Rather, he likely had very little knowledge of such things and his answer showed: "He's the son of a Tharch, I wouldn't imagine he'd be allowed to have friends, let alone desirous of any." He looked from the room to the door beside it. "Alas, due to concerns from the faculty and student body alike, he was assigned to this office as his dorm, which is far removed from the other students." He did however, open the door beside the room, which lead into a quiet storage closet filled with the dust corroded works of bygone scholars and bards.

Pausing for a moment to consider what else had been said, the Dean closed the door to the storage nook. "I suppose you could speak with his professors?" Dean Lawrence offered though he appeared doubtful. "I know he enjoyed his studies with Loremaestro Sellehen." He concluded thoughtfully.

|||||||||||||||||||||​

Enochian; it was thought by some to be a bastardized script related to infernal and celestial. Others argued that the language was actually a progenitor tongue predating all others. Only those versed well enough in lore on the Lords of Madness knew it for what it truly was, a pseudonatural amalgam of words from every language written in a script devised by some aberrant entity from the Far Realm. In other words; the script was little more than babble to those who valued their sanity. Only the insane would try to understand Enochian texts, and in doing so; further their own insanity. This is what Airard concluded.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
"Ah, such a language would be fun. Insane is but a state of mind no? Who's to say I'm not already insane, I do talk to a bird." Rascal let out a shriek at Posh, "Oh, quite right, I am sorry. You are not a mere bird."

[sblock=ooc]

Posh would like to attempt to translate the script if possible. What's alittle craziness between friends after all?[/sblock]

grufflehead

First Post
"I suppose you could speak with his professors?" Dean Lawrence offered though he appeared doubtful. "I know he enjoyed his studies with Loremaestro Sellehen." He concluded thoughtfully.

'Splendid' said Helena to Dean Lawrence, 'does the Loremaestro reside in the College? Perhaps you could make the introductions?'

[sblock="ooc"] I'm happy to try to talk to the professor while the others continue to investigate. I'm sure Airard and Posh could spend more time looking over the room/notes, Gerard could stay with them or come with me whichever he is more interested in.

I/we can do this at the same time then re-join the others so we can keep things moving, unless talking to the prof is not an option at this point. If this part of the investigation has found all it can, we can go as a group.[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
grufflehead;5055352[sblock=ooc said:
Helena will also look to see if there are any obvious marks on the floor which may also have been made by claws.

I suspect without Tracking this is beyond her, but nevertheless, a Perception check to look for marks:

1d20+14=23 [/sblock]

[sblock=OOC/grufflehead/MD]Anyone can track in Pathfinder; Rangers get to add ½ their level to their check, and get some buffs that let them track at speed.

The marks on the floor close to the scratches Airard are likely tracks - I was wondering if a Knowledge: Dungeoneering or Abberations would be able to ID them.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Mithral·Dragon

First Post
"I could take you to see him once you're done here." The Dean offered to Helena. "Timing may be an issue, I'd not want to disrupt his feasting-hour," he said with a moment of thought. The Dean had a look of curiosity about him as he watched the course of the investigation. His eyes followed those that roved around the room, taking everything in.

The room was situated on the corner of the single-floor building, and had two windows perpendicular to one another at the corner. Both were of an expensive design, leaded diamond-shapes forming the entirety of both windows. While each were capable of opening both were closed and latched. There hadn't been enough time for dust to form since last the windows were open.

The tracks at the threshold which marred the writing were not immediately familiar. They appeared bestial in nature and did not extend beyond the door at all. Rather, with a very careful and prolonged search, they were traced from the center of the room, to the threshold, and then to pace around the perimeter of the room until finally returning to the center.

This in-depth search for those tracks revealed yet more writings which were at first unseen until the surface was manipulated in some manner. Only when places were smudged or wiped or otherwise dusted were those writings observable. Whomever had taken the time to inscribe the Enochian script had ensured that the perimeter was completely possessed of such writings. Once the whole of the room was turned over, bedding and furniture moved; it gave the impression that an arcane circle for summoning and binding had been worked - in Enoch.

Meanwhile, the attempt at deciphering the Enochian text met with the same failure as that of Gerard's divination. Despite being so very dim, the single aura was otherwise obvious once it was determined the room was seemingly a summoning chamber of sorts. Gerard reworked his divination with this newfound information and the insight provided the key.

The arcana used here had occurred sometime within the past day and was of a very powerful and exceedingly dangerous design. While most opted for a safe summons, whomever had worked this magic had formed a temporary gate between worlds, allowing bidirectional travel. What had come through and from where it came remained unknown, despite the possibilities.

grufflehead

First Post
When this information was relayed to Helena, a dark look crossed her face. 'It would appear fortunate for us, and the other students', she said, 'that these writings appear to have contained whatever creature made these marks. If young Master... you know, despite being told he is an ambassador's son, I don't believe we've actually been told the poor chap's name?' she said looking enquringly at the Dean.

'As I was saying' she continued, 'if the summoning was his own doing, then sadly, it would appear he has paid the price for dabbling in the black arts.' Raising one eyebrow, she made brief eye contact with Airard and Gerard before glancing swiftly in the direction of Poshment. Continuing, she said 'I'm afraid this is now completely outwith my area of expertise so I must defer to you all' indicating the other members of the team.

'Is it possible that someone else conducted the summoning from outside, knowing full well the effect it would have on this fellow?'

'On the more logical assumption that he was the architect of his own demise, who, if it is beyond our current capabilities to do so, might help us translate this script; and should we even contemplate such a thing if that way lies the path of madness? '

'If we can find a source for the writings, under no circumstances should we attempt to recreate the ritual in my opinion. One victim is quite enough to be going on with, thank you very much!'

'I defer to your respective opinions on what else we may usefully achieve here. Once you are happy we have exhausted all avenues, perhaps the Loremaestro may give us further insight into what our victim may have been attempting. Let us hope he has finished his feast...'

Remove ads