• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[PR] Dutch Name Tables

Terra_Ferax_Mark

First Post
Terra Ferax Innovations is pleased to announce it's latest naming solution, Dutch Name Tables, a 98-page PDF. The file is only 776 KB - it's so compact that you can back it up on floppy disk!

This ebook contains names for Dutch people, which may include first and surnames of an Anglo-Saxon/Dutch, English, (some) French and/or Germanic origin but all perfectly suitable for naming a character from Medieval Holland/West Frisia, for example. Quick Statistics:

more than 1600 female names (i.e. 16 tables with 100 names each, plus a table with less than 100 names)
more than 800 female nicknames,
more than 1300 male names,
more than 800 male nicknames,
more than 3000 surnames,
plus a section containing more than 800 place names from the Modern Netherlands and Belgium, so that if your campaign is on Earth, you can have place names as surnames, such as "Rembrandt van Rijn".
With regards to all sample names listed: characters and names are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Sample names you could generate from this volume:

(Female names) Astrid "The Enlightened" Schravendijk, Eiisha Cornelis Geensen, Hildegond Adriaansen, Gertrude Van Kampen, Sonja "The Red" Wagenaar

(Male names) Tijmen Everts Ackerman, "Grim Eckebus" Ravensbergen, Alewin Weymbert Naeije, Pieter Vanderwolf Heemskerk, Jan Cornelisz Faas

Dutch Name Tables is available from RPGNow.
tfi3009.jpg

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Is dat nu effe gaaf zeg een echt nederlands naam bedenker boek, precies wat ik nu altijd al heb willen hebben!

Mag ik zeggen OVERBODIG!

In essence what's said above: Your kungfu stinks! ;-p

Terra_Ferax_Mark

First Post
Het spijt mij je gevonden dit boek is niet echt . En mijn bekwaamheden jegens gesproken nederlanders is klein dan mijn bekwaamheden jegens onderzoek naam.

I look for names by researching family genealogies back to pre-1700s and attempt to organize those names by gender. Yes, I have found females named Ichobob, for example. The limitiations, of course, are that I can't verify that Ichobob was not mistakenly identified as a female rather than a male. And as for spellings, the people who recorded names in the pre-industrial period often have horrible spelling. I stick with the way it was recorded. I rely on the data available and hope to present in a useful format; all my tables use percentile dice for ease.

And yes, my kung-fu is awful; I've never had a martial arts class ;).

Last edited:

DynaMup

First Post
Very Useful...

Well, I found the Gaelic and Elven name tables to be very, very useful - especially when preparing an adventure. Rolling up 20 or so random names before a game really helped when needing to assign a name to an NPC!

I'll definately check out the Dutch ones, since these are going to sound a bit more exotic (to me) than the English ones... :cool:

Cergorach

The Laughing One
OMG! I thought you where dutch (btw. your dutch sucks ;-) and those names come straight from the phone book, as you might understand, dutch names are not very interesting when your dutch...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads