• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[PR] Monsternomicon

CRG

First Post
Just curious

WoTC started what I felt was a reasonable trend in attributes for creatures. Baseline them all as 3 10s and 3 11s, so that you could then realistically determine what the racial adders might be.

Just curious, your bridge troll entry has all even attributes. Care to share what you baselined as? All 10s? Did you use a baseline?

JoeGKushner

First Post
So what was the final page count on this puppy?

Were there any monsters left out? Web bonus for those who bought the book perhaps?

For creatures suitable for players, do you have racial traits provided? I enjoyed the fact that Eden did this with their new monster book for several of the playable types.

PrivateerMatt

First Post
Playable races were baselined according to the guidelines. Other monsters may have used the baselines for inspiration but they were not rigidly followed. In the end, the most important thing is that the monster attributes meet the designer's vision, make sense when compared to other creatures and playable races, and that the attributes and abilities are correctly summed up in the CR.

There are a few points of fudge here and there too, when it seemed useful to flesh out the monster better. SOmetimes you gotta bend the rules.

The book is 240 pages. There were a few critters cut, and they may show up on the web, or in future products, we haven't decided yet. The playable races do have essential traits provided for those who wish to use them.

There are also 3 prestige classes, an introduction to the cosmology of the IK (needed to better explain the "Infernals" in the book--our own demon-like creatures), rules for monster lore (with new Feats and Skills), and rules on how to make & use scholarly tomes.

It's packed full of goodness!

tsadkiel

Legend
I've got an incredibly specific content related question. Feel free not to answer. (There's also a spoiler for the Witchfire trilogy, now that I think about it, so I'll put in some spoiler space.)

Whee! That was fun.

Anyway, there's a clockwork priest in one of the modules. Any chance of some sort of clockwork template in the Monsternomicon? It'd be incredibly helpful for my Oz homebrew game.

PrivateerMatt

First Post
There is no Clockwork template -- though that reminds me, there ARE a load of new templates in the book. They are smaller than the usual ones, designed to slap onto monsters when you want to boost them by 1CR or so. We call 'em Quickplates. Examples are Maligned, Urban, Alpha Hunter, Bloodthirsty... Fun stuff! Lots of "crunchy bits" in the Monsternomicon.

Clockwork stuff will be featured in the upcoming Mechanika book though, never fear.

Tewligan

First Post
It'll be at GenCon, eh? Sweet. How much is it going to sell for? I need to give my friends who are attending a wish list and a bundle of cash.

PrivateerMatt

First Post
Well, we're not promising a Gen Con showing just yet, because it would be terrible to say so and they backtrack if there was a printing problem! But if it is there (and we are shooting for it), then it will be $30.

Again I find myself saying, "stand by for an official announcement." :)

Remove ads