• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[PR] OWC Announces Countdown: Operation Dead Drop

HyrumOWC

First Post
"The unthinkable has happened…. You have 24 hours to save the world."

OtherWorld Creations is pleased to announce a new line of books for use with d20 Modern: the Countdown Mission Packs™. The Countdown Series presents intense, high drama missions with the urgency of the show "24" and the creativity of a Bond movie. Each Countdown Mission Pack™ presents players with action-oriented, focused adventures that will plunge their characters into "catch your breath" style gaming.

Operation Dead Drop:

As the mission begins, Saddam Hussein has announced to the world that Iraq is now a nuclear power. Unless the United Nations drops all sanctions against Iraq, Israel exits completely all land claimed by the Palestinian people, and the United States ceases all aggression against the Iraqi Republic, in 24 hours a nuclear tipped Taep'o-dong 1 (TD-1) missile, acquired from North Korea, will be launched at Tel-Aviv, Israel. To further safeguard his interests, Hussein has taken a group of foreign nationals hostage, including 5 American citizens.

In this Mission Pack™, PCs take the role of Delta Force soldiers sent into Iraq to complete a two-fold operation:

1. Rescue all hostages, and kill all Iraqi personnel.
2. Assassinate the real Saddam Hussein and thereby prevent him from launching the missile.

The hostages are being held at a secret detention facility near the city of Ar Rutbah in western Iraq. Once the hostages are rescued, the PCs must travel to the Abu Ghurayb Presidential Palace, south of Baghdad, and assassinate Saddam Hussein, the Iraqi dictator.

Both missions must be completed within 24 hours or the missile will launch. If Saddam gets word of the hostage rescue, the missile will launch. Israel has also informed the Bush Administration that if Iraq launches, Israel will respond in kind.

This Mission Pack™ is a challenging adventure for use with D20 Modern. Players must pit all their skills and wits against the Butcher of Baghdad in a desperate attempt to save the world.

This product includes:
· Maps and satellite imagery from the CIA and US State Department!
· A detailed 32 page adventure complete with time frames and plot movers.
· 6 Pregenerated Delta Force soldiers. (7th level)

D20 Modern® is a registered trademark of Wizards of the Coast® and is used with permission.

Mission Pack™ is a trademark of OtherWorld Creations, Inc.

Copyright 2002, Otherworld Creations, Inc.

OWC-9001 SRP $12.95 32 pages

HyrumOWC said:
[This Mission Pack™ is a challenging adventure for use with D20 Modern. Players must pit all their skills and wits against the Butcher of Baghdad in a desperate attempt to save the world.
A strictly D20 modern adventure with no genre book? Wow. Good luck with this. I'm curious if you can do well with a generic adventure for a genreless system.

Joe

HyrumOWC

First Post
Re: Re: [PR] OWC Announces Countdown: Operation Dead Drop

jmucchiello said:
A strictly D20 modern adventure with no genre book? Wow. Good luck with this. I'm curious if you can do well with a generic adventure for a genreless system.

Joe

Actually, it does fall into a genre, what I like to call "Covert Operations", similar to Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy.

So far reactions have been extremely positive, especially with the final part of the Mission, where you get to assassinate Saddam Hussein.

Hyrum.

Re: Re: Re: [PR] OWC Announces Countdown: Operation Dead Drop

HyrumOWC said:
Actually, it does fall into a genre, what I like to call "Covert Operations", similar to Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy.
I was, admittedly, unclear. I meant that the genre sourcebook didn't exist. You just hope "covert ops" is generic enough that people will play it without needing a genre sourcebook first. That's why I said "Wow".

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I gotta admit, this sounds seriously cool. I especially love the "assassinate Hussein" part. It reminds me of Afghanistan d20, but with a bit more focus to it. If I were running that adventure though, I'd change it a bit. Instead of just killing Hussein, Id have the players actually head to the launching facility after rescuing the hostages, killing the people at the launching site and then destroying it so the nukes then were unuseable. Saddam, sadly, would survive (for now) and become a recurring villain for use in some future adventures.

HyrumOWC

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: [PR] OWC Announces Countdown: Operation Dead Drop

jmucchiello said:
I was, admittedly, unclear. I meant that the genre sourcebook didn't exist. You just hope "covert ops" is generic enough that people will play it without needing a genre sourcebook first. That's why I said "Wow".

Ok, I get what you're saying now. Basically, we noticed that a lot of companies are putting out settings/genre books and no one seems to be doing straight up adventures. We may at some point do something for 'covert ops', but the nice thing about 'covert ops' is that it is, as you pointed out, a genre most gamers already know well enough to play. And the Mission Packs will help fill in the gaps of what people don't know. (ie: The layout of Saddam's palaces, satellite images of Iraq, and the palaces, how Delta Force is organized, etc.)

Hyrum.

HyrumOWC

First Post
Alzrius said:
I gotta admit, this sounds seriously cool. I especially love the "assassinate Hussein" part. It reminds me of Afghanistan d20, but with a bit more focus to it. If I were running that adventure though, I'd change it a bit. Instead of just killing Hussein, Id have the players actually head to the launching facility after rescuing the hostages, killing the people at the launching site and then destroying it so the nukes then were unuseable. Saddam, sadly, would survive (for now) and become a recurring villain for use in some future adventures.

While the actual mission is 1. rescue hostages and 2. kill Saddam, we will point out small divergences that players can take, as well as possible solutions in the time allowed.

I'm all for people changing and mixing things up though. It you want Saddam to survive so he can wreck the PCs lives later in the campaign, by all means go for it. Besides, at last count he's supposed to have upwards of 12 body doubles. :)

Hyrum.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [PR] OWC Announces Countdown: Operation Dead Drop

HyrumOWC said:
Basically, we noticed that a lot of companies are putting out settings/genre books and no one seems to be doing straight up adventures.

::Blink::

You know, now that I think about it, that's absolutely correct.

So often people have talked about the "adventure glut" out there for d20 fantasy adventures and how no more adventures are really needed, that somewhere along the line apparently everyone, player and publisher, assumed that this extended into the d20 Modern market as well.

Obviously, this isn't true. We could use some good adventures out there for d20 modern. Kudos to your Hyrum on being one of (if not the) first one out the gate here.

Remove ads