• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[PR] OWC Announces Countdown: Operation Dead Drop

Ruland

First Post
I don't think this product will become a huge seller in continental Europe. Most people here are not in for the fun of covert invasions, "killing all personnel" and assassinating some bogeyman of gov't propaganda. Fictional villains are psychologically easier to handle.
Watch the movie "Black Hawk Down", a good example for how much fun commando operations in hostile environment are - and how to foster murderous hatred.

MinscFan

First Post
Looks like a lot of fun....but...

I read (and then re-read) this post and your web site. The mission explanation and the concept looks like it will be a blast to run. :D

But.... :(

I can't find a release date anywhere. Not in this post and not on your web site. When can we expect to be able to buy this?

A short response to the thread above me from Germany:

Hussein a "bogeyman of government propaganda"? Hmmm. I'd have to disagree with you there. Hussein's record of attrocities and behavior speaks for itself.

Are there other dictators in the world as bad (or perhaps worse)? That is up for debate. The US (and the U.N.) has chosen him as the first target in what will likely be a string of targets that associate themselves with terrorism, seek to cause instability through unprovoked agression, or flaunt the nuclear non-proliferation agreement. Nothing justifies what happened on 9/11 and the US has decided to fight a worldwide fight against terrorism that many nations won't commit to, or don't have the resources to commit to. While it may seem like bullying, at least we are doing something.

And while I understand your point about what it's really like for commandos on a mission, I take offense at the mention of the situation in Mogadishu. Many Americans died there -- regardless of the reason, the mission, or the President's decision to pull any support for them -- doing what they were ordered to do. Our mission there (if you recall) was oirginally to safeguard the food and supplies being sent (by the U.N.) to the citizens of a ravaged country. The warlords there decided they should get the goods, to hell with their own people.

Sometimes our intentions are thrown back in our face.

Sometimes, I would simply like to extricate ourselves from all world affairs. Imagine that: the US starts practicing isolationism (both political and fiscal) again. What would be the result of that, I wonder? Who would truly benefit and who would suffer?

Finally -- lighten up. It's a game, and treating someone like Saddam Hussein as a big baddie in an RPG is nothing more serious than playing in a cold war era RPG where the Russians are the big baddies.

Last edited:

HyrumOWC

First Post
Re: Looks like a lot of fun....but...

MinscFan said:
I read (and then re-read) this post and your web site. The mission explanation and the concept looks like it will be a blast to run. :D

But.... :(

I can't find a release date anywhere. Not in this post and not on your web site. When can we expect to be able to buy this?

Hey MinscFan,

Countdown: Operation Dead Drop will be available the first week or so of January, 2003.

Hyrum.

dpmcalister

Explorer
Re: Looks like a lot of fun....but...

MinscFan said:
Hussein a "bogeyman of government propaganda"? Hmmm. I'd have to disagree with you there. Hussein's record of attrocities and behavior speaks for itself.

Are there other dictators in the world as bad (or perhaps worse)? That is up for debate. The US (and the U.N.) has chosen him as the first target in what will likely be a string of targets that associate themselves with terrorism, seek to cause instability through unprovoked agression, or flaunt the nuclear non-proliferation agreement. Nothing justifies what happened on 9/11 and the US has decided to fight a worldwide fight against terrorism that many nations won't commit to, or don't have the resources to commit to. While it may seem like bullying, at least we are doing something.

And while I understand your point about what it's really like for commandos on a mission, I take offense at the mention of the situation in Mogadishu. Many Americans died there -- regardless of the reason, the mission, or the President's decision to pull any support for them -- doing what they were ordered to do. Our mission there (if you recall) was oirginally to safeguard the food and supplies being sent (by the U.N.) to the citizens of a ravaged country. The warlords there decided they should get the goods, to hell with their own people.

Sometimes our intentions are thrown back in our face.

Sometimes, I would simply like to extricate ourselves from all world affairs. Imagine that: the US starts practicing isolationism (both political and fiscal) again. What would be the result of that, I wonder? Who would truly benefit and who would suffer?

I'd like to respond to this, but that would make the thread kinda political (which isn't allowed). MinscFan, if you'd like to discuss this by e-mail (in a non-aggressive, non-flame, let's discuss because it's interesting) sort of way, please e-mail me at dpmcalister@modus-operandi.co.uk

Finally -- lighten up. It's a game, and treating someone like Saddam Hussein as a big baddie in an RPG is nothing more serious than playing in a cold war era RPG where the Russians are the big baddies.

I totally agree :D

Pinnocchio

First Post
heh heh heh... I wasn't seeing Dumbo Drop when I looked at it, but I was seeing Operation: Drop Dead.

My first thought at that was, "Drop Dead? Drop Dead Fred? Oh man..."

My mind works in strange and mysterious ways, but then again...Dumbo Drop? I'm glad I'm not alone.

Marc

HyrumOWC

First Post
Pinnocchio said:
heh heh heh... I wasn't seeing Dumbo Drop when I looked at it, but I was seeing Operation: Drop Dead.

My first thought at that was, "Drop Dead? Drop Dead Fred? Oh man..."

My mind works in strange and mysterious ways, but then again...Dumbo Drop? I'm glad I'm not alone.

Marc

Ya know, you could always kill Saddam with an elephant, dropped out of the sky by a C-130. :)

Hyrum.

MinscFan

First Post
Hey MinscFan,

Countdown: Operation Dead Drop will be available the first week or so of January, 2003.

Thanks! Looking forward to it.

I'd like to respond to this, but that would make the thread kinda political (which isn't allowed). MinscFan, if you'd like to discuss this by e-mail (in a non-aggressive, non-flame, let's discuss because it's interesting) sort of way

I sent you an e-mail. I also hate it when a decent thread goes political...

I've been digging around and re-writing some of my old Top Secret adventures for d20. Maybe I'll post those on my site for all to use. :cool:

Last edited:

Remove ads