• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Practiced Spellcaster and Prestige Prereqs

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Some of the prestige classes in Complete Arcane (such as Acolyte of the Skin and Enlightened Fist) have a caster level prerequisite in place of being able to cast Xth level spells. This allows the Warlock base class to qualify for these prestige classes.

This got me thinking of other characters I would find interesting to play. One's that focus mainly on their other class with some spellcasting. To accomplish this I plan to use the feat Practiced Spellcaster to meet the caster level prereq.

One idea I had was a "Demon Warrior." Barbarian 4/Wizard 1 with Practiced Spellcaster to qualify for the Caster Level 5th prerequisite of the Acolyte of the Skin.

Is this RAW?

Kapalen

First Post
So what if I'ma tiefling. At 5th level I can cast darkness at Caster Level 5th, does that qualify me for something like Acolyte of the Skin?

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Since a 5th-level Warlock can qualify with spell-like abilities, I guess so could the tiefling. Of course a tiefling without a spellcasting class would gain no benefit from the "+1 level of existing class" ability.

pawsplay

Hero
Kapalen said:
So what if I'ma tiefling. At 5th level I can cast darkness at Caster Level 5th, does that qualify me for something like Acolyte of the Skin?

According to Savage Species, and the MM 3.5, yes. However, in most cases, you're going to want some spellcaster class to gain spells/day in. :)

Remove ads