Practiced Spellcaster/Manifester feats (sorta)

Bront

The man with the probe
I'd like to propose some feats that are similar to the Practiced Spellcaster feat.

Those feats grant +4 caster level, up to a max of the creatures HD. It does not grant extra spells, simply a higher casting level (or manifestor level for the psionic one).

How do we do this and still keep the LEW flavor? Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
I'd like to propose some feats that are similar to the Practiced Spellcaster feat.

Those feats grant +4 caster level, up to a max of the creatures HD. It does not grant extra spells, simply a higher casting level (or manifestor level for the psionic one).

How do we do this and still keep the LEW flavor? Any suggestions?
I don't know for sure if the manifester one would be fair. Consider the Wizard5/X4 who takes Practised Spellcaster. It provides much-needed caster level increases to duration and damage. Now, consider a Psion5/X4. The increased ML raises the PP cap. So to get extra damage, the poor gal has to pay more and run herself out of PP really really quickly (in this case it is weak), but then there are some special augments to consider. With Practised Manifester, she's summoning the 9 PP Astral Construct V for instance, which is almost like having access to 5th-level magic. Also, it allows Metapsionicing her highest level stuff.

Bront

The man with the probe
There's a version of this in the Complete Psionic though, isn't there? It wouldn't have to be identical, nor would the benifits be identical between the two of them.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
There's a version of this in the Complete Psionic though, isn't there? It wouldn't have to be identical, nor would the benifits be identical between the two of them.
I'll check--I yoinked CP from my little brother along with some Eberron books.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
I'll check--I yoinked CP from my little brother along with some Eberron books.
Good for you, he doesn't deserve them :p

I don't have it available here.

Someone

Adventurer
Rystil Arden said:
Now, consider a Psion5/X4. The increased ML raises the PP cap. So to get extra damage, the poor gal has to pay more and run herself out of PP really really quickly

That assumes he got powers that need augmenting to remain effective, which doesn´t have to be the case. For balance we should consider the best combo, not the worst. Ogres don´t have a +4 ECL because they make excelent wizards.

Imagine he got Force Shield. Without augmenting, it mechanically almost identical to the Shield spell with Practiced caster, and has the option to spend power points to make it better. Same with, say, Psionic charm, or Astral construct as you point out.

Also, increasing manifester level does increase bonus power points. A 1st level psion 1/(other) 4 with 14 inteligence would increase his power points from 3 to 7.

Bront

The man with the probe
Actualy this feat does not. It only increases effective manifestor level. Actual level is unchanged, so PPs and max power levels would not change.

Someone

Adventurer
That´s the point. The table and formula call for manifester level, not psion level; the feat should mention that it doesn´t raise manifester levels for the purpose of calculating bonus power points.

Knight Otu

First Post
How about this:

Blessing of the Towers [General]
You have studied legends of the Elemental Towers, and learned to augment your spellcasting powers to a previously denied potential, by tapping into a pattern formed by the towers more complex than it first looks.
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 5 ranks, Knowledge (geography) 2 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 2 ranks
Benefit: Choose a spellcasting class you belong to. Your caster level for that class increases by 4?, but not beyond your effective character level. This increased caster level applies to determining level-dependent spell variables such as damage dice or range, and caster level checks only. It does not grant extra spells or other class abilities.

And an equivalent feat for psions, which I am too lazy to flavor right now.

Remove ads