• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Practiced Spellcaster/Manifester feats (sorta)

Bront

The man with the probe
How's this?

Gliran's Blessing[General]
Through study and hard work, you have managed to increase the efficiency of your spell casting beyond any normal study.
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 5 ranks
Benefit: Choose a spellcasting class you belong to. Your caster level for that class increases by 4, but not beyond your total hit dice. This increased caster level applies to determining level-dependent spell variables such as damage dice or range, and caster level checks only. It does not grant extra spells or other class abilities.
Special: You may select this feat multiple times, but they do not stack.

I'd do one similar for Psionics then, though not sure there's a good psionics deity yet.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
How's this?

Gliran's Blessing[General]
Through study and hard work, you have managed to increase the efficiency of your spell casting beyond any normal study.
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 5 ranks
Benefit: Choose a spellcasting class you belong to. Your caster level for that class increases by 4, but not beyond your total hit dice. This increased caster level applies to determining level-dependent spell variables such as damage dice or range, and caster level checks only. It does not grant extra spells or other class abilities.
I'd do one similar for Psionics then, though not sure there's a good psionics deity yet.
That's basically exactly the same except it requires a skill most casters get anyway, right? (or did I miss a nuance in here?) Not that I think the feat is unbalanced with 0 requirements (I think it is perfectly fair).

Also, this feat's flavour is a bad idea in my opinion. Why does my Chaotic Neutral Cleric of Amphousa/Rogue have Gilran's Blessing to give her +4 Caster Level? What about my Neutral Good Druid/Wizard/MyT in service of Galatea?

Bront

The man with the probe
It's not a relgious thing, as much as something that just happens. Perhaps it's simply been named that. If it was a truely religious thing, I would have mentioned a need to worship Gliran, or had a KN: religion req. Gliran simply blesses those who learn to use magic efficiently.

Or do you have a different flavor? I didn't care for tying it to the towers, since they are tied to the elements, and not magic.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
It's not a relgious thing, as much as something that just happens. Perhaps it's simply been named that. If it was a truely religious thing, I would have mentioned a need to worship Gliran, or had a KN: religion req. Gliran simply blesses those who learn to use magic efficiently.

Or do you have a different flavor? I didn't care for tying it to the towers, since they are tied to the elements, and not magic.
Well, maybe Gilran would bless the Galatea worshipper I mentioned, but why would he bless an obviously undisciplined CN non-arcane-magic-using cleric of Amphousa who just lusts for more power? If we do have a single flavour reason for the caster level, it would be nice if it could be flexible enough to fit everyone. Of course, here's a thought: What if there were several different feats with different flavour and slightly different abilities? One for those who seize greater mystic power, one for those who diligently study, etc.

Bront

The man with the probe
I think I can roll that togeather. I'd rather have it as one feat personaly though.

Power Discovery[General]
Through study, hard work, a deity's blessing, or even just a search for power, you have managed to increase the power and effectiveness of your spells.
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 5 ranks, Ability to cast Spells

Psionic Discovery[Psionic]
Through study, hard work, a deity's blessing, or even just a search for power, you have managed to increase the power and effectiveness of your spells.
Prerequisites: 5 Ranks Psicraft, Manifestor level 1
Benefit: Choose a manifesting class you belong to. Your manifestor level for that class increases by 4, but not beyond your total hit dice. This increased manifestor level applies to determining level-dependent spell variables such as damage dice or range, max PP expendature, and caster level checks only. It does not grant extra power, PP, or other class abilities.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
They aren't realy, but I'd rather have them anyway, it gives some mechanical corespondence to the feats. I was hoping for a more LEWish feal, but these work.

Anyone else have comments on them?

Remove ads