Practiced Spellcaster/Manifester feats (sorta)

Knight Otu

First Post
The only that immediately comes to mind is the one I already mentioned. The prerequisites could be lowered to, maybe, 1 rank in Geography in that case.

Bront

The man with the probe
How about Arcane/Divine/Psionic Potential? Power from the Tower? (Um, no) Tapping the Tower?

I'm not against the tower tie if we change the reqs to the 1 geography though (Probably exclusively then).

Patlin

Explorer
We've used Practised Spellcaster and Practised Manifester in our games, without any problems. I understand Practised Manifester to allow spending more pp on a particular spell, so a Psion 3/Fighter 4 with the proposed feat should be allowed to spend 7 pp on a spell, with augmentation. After all, a Wizard 3/Fighter 4 would get his second ray with a scorching ray spell, why shouldn't the psion get the ability to pump up his powers?

I vote YES.

Rystil Arden

First Post
After all, a Wizard 3/Fighter 4 would get his second ray with a scorching ray spell, why shouldn't the psion get the ability to pump up his powers?

As I mentioned early on, for damage powers it is in line and possibly weaker (since they have to pay more), but for powers with large lines of augments like Astral Construct or Charm, it is actually giving you higher level Powers effectively.

Patlin

Explorer
Heh. A few hours ago you told me that astral construct was emasculated if you look at complete psionic, yes? Perhaps the two would cancel each other out. Any teasing aside, though, I simply disagree.

The feats in question are a patch on multiclassing system that is broken for casters. The fact that they are really good feats doesn't bother me at all, since they are repairing a situation in which the character in question is otherwise penalized to an insensibly severe degree. The feats, in my opinion, only seem too good because they correct a very significant unfairness.

I notice this isn't an official proposal yet, so my vote was premature, but I expect to vote yes to a proposal of this sort if it is offered.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
Heh. A few hours ago you told me that astral construct was emasculated if you look at complete psionic, yes? Perhaps the two would cancel each other out. Any teasing aside, though, I simply disagree.

The feats in question are a patch on multiclassing system that is broken for casters. The fact that they are really good feats doesn't bother me at all, since they are repairing a situation in which the character in question is otherwise penalized to an insensibly severe degree. The feats, in my opinion, only seem too good because they correct a very significant unfairness.

I notice this isn't an official proposal yet, so my vote was premature, but I expect to vote yes to a proposal of this sort if it is offered.
Let me just say that I don't find Practised Spellcaster to be anything but an excellent solution. If you replaced all of what you just said for both feats to just be for Practised Spellcaster, I would agree 100%.

As to the cancelling out scenario--it wouldn't work: It would just mean that nobody would use one of the powers that scaled well with the feat :lol:

Anyway, if I'm a Psion who took the Slayer PrC, I traded one ML for 10 levels of full BAB and good Hit Dice. In the end, if I take this feat, I don't even lose the ability to augment my powers. So I just lose two 9th-level powers known and some PP. A lot of Psions mostly use augmented low-level powers anyways.

Patlin

Explorer
The character in your example will get only 1/4 the benefit of the feat, and will therefore also have less than the full penalty.

With the feat, the psion trades a feat slot, 2 9th level powers known and 32 power points for improved BAB, hp, and prestige class abilities. Those two powers are worth more than two feats each (you can't replace them with expanded knowledge as they are 9th level) so it's worse than 3 feats and some power points.

That seems like enough to me.

Also, that's at 20th. It hurts more on the way up than once you are there.

Bront

The man with the probe
Tower's Blessing[General]
Through study, hard work, a deity's blessing, or even just a search for power, you have managed to increase the power and effectiveness of your spells or psionic powers through taping the power of the tower's themselves.
Prerequisites: KN: Geography 1, Ability to cast Spells or Manifest Powers
Benefit: Choose a spellcasting or Manifesting class you belong to.
For Spellcasters: Your caster level for that class increases by 4, but not beyond your total hit dice. This increased caster level applies to determining level-dependent spell variables such as damage dice or range, and caster level checks only. It does not grant extra spells or other class abilities.
For manifestors: Your manifestor level for that class increases by 4, but not beyond your total hit dice. This increased manifestor level applies to determining level-dependent spell variables such as damage dice or range, max PP expendature, and caster level checks only. It does not grant extra power, PP, or other class abilities.
Special: You may select this feat multiple times, but they do not stack.

How's that for revised flavor? :)

Rystil Arden

First Post
In LEW, are the towers involved with Psionics too? Because it would be cool if there was something else. If nobody else has written something definitive about Psionics, I could come up with something too.

Remove ads