• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

praise or scorn for the Complete Arcane Warlock?

reddist

First Post
Oy! I've got a player very keen on playing a warlock, from Complete Arcane. He's described the class to me over the phone and I doubt very much I'll have any problems with his character (and it opens up some interesting possibilties IMC,), but I don't yet have the book and its going to be a while before I can get it to read for myself... so I was wondering...

For those of you who have seen it or worked with it, have you had any balance or play issues with the Warlock core class, as it is described in the book? Any suggestions or hints for DMing a player who takes this class?

Thanks!

-Reddist

reddist

First Post
Just a bump so the lunch crowd can see... and to point out this is my 200th post:)

A minor milestone, I'm sure...

-Reddist

Last edited:

Trainz

Explorer
After my first read of the class, I felt it was underpowered, and after pointers from peeps on this board, I changed my mind.

I wouldn't hesitate to let my players play one. I might even be tempted in playing one.

Still, I don't think that you should allow it before spending a good two hours studying the class and it's invocations on your own, to make sure it isn't overpowered in YOUR campaign.

Last edited:

Shard O'Glase

First Post
without playing its hard to say but my first impression is that it is ballanced. In the begining I think the warlock looks good compared to the wiz/sor classes, but as they progress the wiz/sor get some really heavy hitting spells that the warlock does't.

This isn't to say they only have weak stuff, at low to mid levels while it has a narrow focus its fairly decent. Chilling tentacles I think they can get aorund 11th level and its just like evards balck tentacles but it does cold damage to all in there area of effect. Since they can cast it all day they can cover the battlefield in these.

While some of there stuff mainly buffs just gives a 24hour duration since they can cast all day long this isn't a big issue. Though being able to fly 24/7 or turn invis 24/7 may cause some issues. I don't think its really a balance problem more of a if all you have is a hammer everything begins to look like nails issue.

Aso at least one of the real good effects that would get out of hand since they can cast all day only works one one foe at a time. Basically there charm monster effect gets ended if they charm another person so at most 1 person is charmed at a time.

The big limit is in the long run though, they never can cast teleport, plane shift, shapechange, poly any object, time stop, a tons of other cool powerful abilities. But if your games are short duration games without a high level many of the weaknesses of the class wont show up.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I also think the Warlock would be great for new players that want to play a spellcaster. You get "magic" abilities, but a manageable number of them; plus, you don't have to worry about keeping track of limited resources, as you can just keep using your powers all day long.

I like the idea of the warlock, although, I think the fluff was a bit heavy handed here. I mean, take away the flavour text, and you have a nice new type of magic-user here, suitable for all sorts of things. I would like to see other invocations (maybe in a dragon magazine?) used with this class. I think some illusionist invocations (with suitable limits) would work very well with this design.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads