• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PrC Assassin and silent spells

random user

First Post
The PrC Assassin says that they cast spells as a bard.

A bard cannot cast silent spells.

Does this mean that the assassin cannot cast a silenced spell?

Any other thoughts on that?

Kirin'Tor

First Post
Hmm...I think we just covered this recently. I don't remember what the final group decision was, but I'm pretty sure it was in favor of the assassin casting silent spells....

noeuphoria

First Post
This was covered earlier. 'As a bard' is meant to mean 'spontaneously' this was poor wording choice, they should have said 'as a sorceror'. Assassains can cast silent spells.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
The short answer: Ask the DM, since rules adjudication falls into his territory.

The long answer: The rules, as written, don't spell out what casting 'like a bard' means. The most obvious interpretaion is that one can't cast assassin spells silently and that assassin spells are unaffected by arcane spell failure from light armor.

Individual DMs might allow silent spells (but have ASF in light armor); some might even take the best of both worlds (no ASF in light armor, but assassins can use Silent Spell on their assassin spells).

random user

First Post
Ah thanks...

I apologize for not searching through to see if there hadn't been a recent post about this.... I thought it was fairly esoteric and didn't think to look like I usually do.

Thanks for the answers!

Edit: boy do I feel stupid. It turns out I had posted the same question a week or so ago, and then totally spaced the fact that I had posted it. Again, my apologies.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
CRGreathouse said:
The long answer: The rules, as written, don't spell out what casting 'like a bard' means. The most obvious interpretaion is that one can't cast assassin spells silently and that assassin spells are unaffected by arcane spell failure from light armor.

'No silent spells for bards' is not a restriction on bardic casting, and thus doesn't apply to Assassins. You won't find it anywhere in the 'Spells' description of the Bard class.

It's a restriction on the Silent Spell feat.

-Hyp.

Remove ads