• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PrC need crunch inspiration

Arkhandus

First Post
I think they'd get enough HD from being lions with the warbeast template and partial animal companion advancement..... They'd already be significant help I think, but maybe they would deserve full animal companion advancement. *shrug*

I don't quite see how your preliminary version, drexes, fits the concept you initially posed.... The magical ability Lion's Roar doesn't quite seem to fit, and the Deadly/Unstoppable Pounce abilities also don't seem to fit (also, they make it too strong, when combined with Lion's Pounce). If the Lion Rider wants to deal more damage charging, he/she can take Spirited Charge as a feat like anyone else. They seem like they ought to be focused more on just getting to make full attacks while mounted, as their mounts do the same. That is, for purposes of mounted combat. You also mentioned you wanted them to be reasonably capable unmounted as well, and to have some tactical abilities. They also lack any particular ability so far that would let them do what you mentioned regarding pikemen.

I would replace those three abilities and give something more appropriate for unmounted combat, something for tactics, and something for trying to dodge or prevent AoOs for charging.

drexes

First Post
As I said it was preliminary, I just used most of the abilities of a cavalier. I was thinking to try and get something down and then work from there. I'm not a fan of the Lion's Roar as written, but it could be neat as a battlecry type thing, with a more mundane effect. The Deadly Pounce/Unstoppable Pounce Lion's Pounce combo does seem too much, it was just like the cavalier after all. I was thinking of giving them some especially good jump bonuses while mounted (not limited by height or some such and soem skill bonus), for the leap ability and make them able to jump as part of a pounce attack. Then I could give both rider and mount the leap attack feat. But then I would need to add power attack to thier prereqs and remove something else. If I remove Deadly pounce/Unstoppable Pounce I could give them a Lion's roar that is a morale effect, boosting allies and demoralizing enemies.

What about once they have thier jumping pounce as it were, if enemies must make a sense motive check opposed by the character's (ride, level, something) in order to make a AoO against them. The whole enemy unit is saying " Oh my god, where's it gonna land?" kinda thing.

They could also get Uncanny Dodge (cannot be flanked) for use mounted or unmounted. Nice tactical benefit and potentailly life saving.

They could cap with frightful presence as per samurai too. I personally think they would be rather scary.

What do you think?

Drexes

drexes

First Post
LION RIDER OF THE HÜNDE

Requirements:
To become a lion rider, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria:
Race: Hunde
Base Attack Bonus: +8
Feats: Mounted Combat, Ride-by Attack, Spirited Charge, Mounted Archery, and Power Attack
Skills: Handle Animal 8 ranks, and Ride 10 ranks.
Alignment: Lawful Good or Neutral Good.

Hit Die: d10.

Class Skills
The lion rider’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge: Architecture (Int), Knowledge: History (Int), Knowledge: Nature (Int), Knowledge: Nobility (Int), Ride (Dex), and Sense Motive (Wis)

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

BAB: Full
Saves: Good Fortitude, Bad Reflex, Bad Will
Table: The Lion Rider

Level Special
1 Lion Mount, Mounted Expertise +2, Lion’s Courage
2 Uncanny Dodge
3 Burst of Speed
4 Mounted Expertise +4
5 Lion’s Pounce, Improved Uncanny Dodge
6 Full Mounted Attack
7 Mounted Expertise +6
8 Leap Attack
9 Lion's Roar
10 Mounted Expertise +8

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the lion rider.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Lion Riders are proficient with simple and martial weapons. They are also proficient with all types of armor and shields, except tower shields. This ability does not extend to exotic armors and shields.

Lion Mount: At 1st level, the lion rider gains a Warbeast Lion mount. The lion rider’s mount is superior to a normal mount of its kind and has special powers, as described below. In addition do to breeding the lion’s of the Hünde are much larger than standard lions measuring 9 to 12 feet in length and weighing between 2000 and 2500 pounds.

Lion Rider’s Mount Basics: Use the base statistics for a creature of the mount’s kind, but make changes to take into account the attributes and characteristics summarized on the table and described below.

Level Hit Dice Natural Armor Strength Special
1-3_____ +2_____ +4_____ +1_____ Improved Speed +10, Improved Evasion, Feat
4-6_____ +4_____ +6_____ +2_____ Improved Natural Attack (claw)
7-9_____ +6_____ +8_____ +3_____ Improved Speed +20, Multiattack
10_____ +8_____ +10____ +4_____ Improved Natural Attack (bite)

Bonus Hit Dice: Extra eight-sided (d8) Hit Dice, each of which gains a Constitution modifier, as normal. Extra Hit Dice improve the mount’s base attack and base save bonuses. A special mount’s base attack bonus is equal to that of a cleric of a level equal to the mount’s HD. A mount has good Fortitude and Reflex saves (treat it as a character whose level equals the animal’s HD). The mount gains additional skill points for bonus HD as normal for advancing a monster’s Hit Dice. The feats normally acquired for bonus hit dice have already been spent except where noted above.
Feat: The mount gains one feat from its bonus hit dice at this point. Other feats normally gained for bonus hit dice have already been spent.
Natural Armor Adjustment: The number on the table is an improvement to the mount’s existing natural armor bonus.
Strength Adjustment: Add this figure to the mount’s Strength score.
Improved Evasion (Ex): When subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, a mount takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw and half damage if the saving throw fails.
Improved Speed (Ex): The mount’s speed increases by 10 feet. At seventh level the mount’s speed increases by an additional 10 feet.
Improved Natural Attack (claw/bite): The mount gains these feats at the respective level shown on the chart above. These feats take the place of two of the feats normally acquired by animals from the addition of hit dice.

Table: Example Lion Mount (in attachment only)

Mounted Expertise: The lion rider gains a bonus on all ride checks and jump checks by his mount equal to that shown on the chart above.

Lion's Courage: The lion rider gains immunity to fear and fear effects.

Burst of Speed: Once per day may spur mount to pounce with double normal distance. If done more than once mount takes 2d6 damage unless it passes a DC 20 Will save.

Lion's Pounce: When charging, mounted or unmounted, character may make a full attack. Only the first attack benefits from deadly pounce or unstoppable pounce ability.

Full Mounted Attack: Character may make a full attack even his mount moves more than five feet. The mount may not move more than his normal movement rate.

Lion's Roar: As a full round action, the character and his mount issue a devastating roar. All allies within thirty feat gain a +2 morale bonus on attack and damge rolls as well as a +4 morale bonus to saves against fear and fear effects. Any friendly character currently suffering from a fear effect may make a will save against the original DC with this bonus as a free action in order to overcome the effect. In addition, all enemies within thirty feet must make a will save (DC = 20 + lion rider's charisma bonus, if any) or become frightened, those who pass the will save become shaken for the duration of the effect. The effects of this action have a duration of 5 rounds. If the lion rider flees or is killed then the effect ends immediately.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 2nd level, a barbarian retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a barbarian already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 5th level and higher, a lion rider and his mount can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the lion rider or mount by flanking him. The exception to this defense is that a rogue at least four levels higher than the lion rider can flank him (and thus sneak attack him). If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Leap Attack: At 8th level and higher, a lion rider gains Leap Attack as a bonus feat. In addition, when he is mounted, and his mount makes a successful jump check (clearing at least 10 feet) as part of a pounce attempt the lion rider can gain the benefits of the feat as well.

Attachments

• Lion Rider of the Hunde.doc
    80.5 KB · Views: 57

drexes

First Post
Ripped from cavalier....I dunno it doesn't really make sense to me either. I would think it should be a fort save or something....arggh!

Remove ads