• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[PrC] Phoenix Guard

Kyramus

First Post
I am posting this here for comments and to see if there are any calls that this is an unbalanced class. Let me know what you all think.
I came up with this idea when I noticed that there are half dragons and dragon disciples but no phoenix or half phoenix.

Kyramus
---------------------------
edit: made some changes
edit2: Changed Iaijutsu focus from 10 to 8.

Phoenix Guards

"We protect the emperor. We serve his will. We are his swords. We are his life"

The Phoenix Guards are sworn protectors of the Emperor. (OA type land)

HD d10
alignment: LG or LN
Weapons and armor: as fighter
Skills: as Samurai

Requirements: BAB +8, Iajutsu focus 8, Improved Init, Quick Draw, Determined Soul
Special: Phoenix Clan- bloodline must have an ancestor who was a Phoenix Guard, Chosen by a Phoenix and raised from the dead (once) to attain the first level of the Phoenix Guard (character must have attained the requirements and killed by a creature that is stronger than him)

BAB +1/level
Fort( from level 1 to level 10) 0/0/1/1/1/2/2/2/3/3
Ref/WIll (from 1 to 10) 2/3/3/4/4/5/5/6/6/7

Level Special
1 Nat Ac +1, Fire Resist 10, Cold weakness 2
2 Bonus Feat, Phoenix Flight 1/d, Cold weakness 4
3 Shriek, Immune to fear, cold weakness 6
4 Bonus Feat, phoenix flight 2/d, cold weakness 8
5 Nat ac +2, Fire resistance 20, Cold weakness 10
6 Bonus feat, Phoenix flight 3/d, Cold weakness 12
7 Strength of Fire, Cold weakness 14
8 Bonus Feat, Fiery Wings, Cold weakness 16
9 Phoenix Soul, Cold weakness 18
10 Bonus Feat, Nat ac +4, One with the Phoenix

Cold Weakness: Any damage by cold results in extra damage as
idicated by the number. Cold Weakness 2 means that if the character was hit with a ray of frost for 3 points, he suffers and extra two points. if he is hit witha cone of cold, he suffers an extra 2 points after the damage is rolled. saving throw for half applies.

Phoenix Flight: The Phoenix Guard may fly up to 60 feet as part of his move in combat. The ability lasts for 1 round only. The ability may be used 1/day and increases to 2/d at level 4 and 3/d at level 6.

Shriek: 1/day a Phoenix Guard can imitate the Shriek of the Phoenix. All within 20 feet needs to roll a Will save dc 18 or be panicked for 1d4 rounds. Due to the supernatural origin, the Phoenix Guard may not use this more than once a day as it will destroy their vocal cords. Should the Phoenix Guard force himself to use the Shriek a second time in the same day, the second Shriek's will save dc is 14 and lasts only 1-2 rounds. The Phoenix Guard is rendered mute afterwards and no amount of healing save for a wish may restore him to his healthy state. A damaged Phoenix Guard may NOT advance further in Phoenix Guard Levels.

Strength of Fire: When targeted by a fire spell, the Phoenix Guard may absorb the energy that was sent to harm him to heighten his martial skill. For each level of the spell is the number of rounds the Phoenix Guard is hasted. (IE: Fireball is level 3, the Phoenix Guard is hasted for 3 rounds. If the fireball was maximized, level 6, then the Guard is hasted for 6 rounds.

Fiery Wings: The phoenix guard may manifest at will, as a standard action, a pair of fiery wings and fly. Movement rate is equal to his ground movement and has good maneuverability.

Phoenix Soul: Bonded to a supernatural creature has great benefits when the bonding holds true. The Phoenix Guard receives Spell Resistance equal to 20+ his wisdom modifier.

One with the Phoenix: The ultimate goal of the Phoenix Guard is to be at one with the Phoenix. The Phoenix Guard gains the Outsider type and Fire Subtype. Strength increases by +8, Constitution by +4 and Wisdom by +2. As part of this transformation, 3 Phoenix Guard may call upon a Phoenix to aid them 1/year in return for a service to the noble bird of prey. The 3 Phoenix Guard are all bonded to the same Phoenix. A Phoenix may not have more than 20 Phoenix Guards bonded to it.

Last edited:

las

First Post
Try to make it more abile for other people to take it. Id think that a shujenja would also take this class.

Other wise it looks good to me. Iven if you do make it more open dont give caster levels. (If you make the changes I might use it my self(might any way ill gust make them my self)).

melonneko

First Post
I'm kinda new to the game, so i can't remark too much on balance. But i have some questions. Shriek says once per day, and then once (period) is that right, because once (twice by going mute) in a life time seems kinda useless for a game. (good story wise tho)

and fiery wings..is it the same speed as pheonix flight, is it at will or is there supposed to be a limit. How long does it take to get the wings (free action?)

and i personally think the attribute bonus' when becoming an outsider are too tough, but i've not studied other prc's much so i'm not sure.

strength of fire is really cool, but i can see how party's could abuse it, by having their wizard (or the rokugan equivilant) flame arrow or fireball the pheonix gaurd.

i really like the have to be raised prerequisite.

melon

Kyramus

First Post
Shriek is 1/d. Using it more than 1/d would then cause him to become mute.

Fiery wings has the same as normal ground move. it is a standard action to manifest.

The difference is in combat, the person is hustling there for Phoenix Flight is up to 60 feet movement area for only 1 round. If you notice you get Phoenix flight before Fiery wings, a progression into actual flying ability.

I doubt the strength of fire will be abused much. Give the character haste (level 3 spell that lasts longer) or give him flame arrow which lasts only 3 rounds. Slow still counteracts it.

The attributes reflect the similarity of the half dragon template.
If you look at dragon disciple they had a natural progression to become a half dragon.

The Phoenix Guard is modeled after that with all the attributes added at the end instead of incrimenting. I figure the fire resistance and the flying and the shrieking is the progression to condition the body to eventually attain the attributes.

Let me think on the prerequisite, and yes I didn't think of shugenja taking it. I'll check on that again. Maybe lower the bab but add in feats that both shugenja and samurai will take.
shugenja might not take Iaijutsu focus though.....(Thinks)
Was that just a Samurai skill? or anyone can have that skill? I don't have OA with me at the moment.

Kyramus

First Post
Hmmm I might chance the special to :

Phoenix Clan, blood line related to ancestors who are Phoenix Guards.

keeping the raising as is.

(Thinks)
So I need to clarify certain things on the class. anything else?

Kyramus

First Post
changes made to the prestige class above. please recheck it and let me know if there is any clarifications that I need to add into it.

:) Thanks for the momments. I knew I needed another point of view/s to see what I might end up making a mistake on.

Kyramus

First Post
The Phoenix Guard isn't something everyone will take.

Lowering it to 5 would make Samurais able to challenge the Phoenix guard with impunity.

The Phoenix guards are respected not only because they are the emperor's body guards, but also that their fighting prowess is high.

I might consider bringing it down to 8 but not 5. that's too low.

Remove ads