• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PrC suggestions and help with a Warmace and Shield build?

IcyCool

First Post
So, I was thinking of putting together a Powerful Build, Warmace and Shield fighter. The problem is, I'm not seeing any Prestige Classes that stand out for him. Any suggestions and build advice are welcome. I'm looking for a 10th-level character, MM elite ability score array.

I've got the following (which isn't much):

Half-giant Fighter 6

Feats:
Exotic Weapon Proficiency[Warmace]
Weapon Focus[Warmace]
Weapon Specialization[Warmace]
Power Attack? (not sure it'll be that useful)
Monkey Grip? (is it worth going from 3d6 (large warmace) to 4d6 (huge warmace) for -2 attack penalty?)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
IcyCool said:
Monkey Grip? (is it worth going from 3d6 (large warmace) to 4d6 (huge warmace) for -2 attack penalty?)

Monkey Grip allows you to use weapons designed for a creature one category larger than you. For a Half-Giant, that's Large.

Powerful Build lets you use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. For a Half-Giant, that's Large.

Neither ability allows a Half-Giant to wield a Huge warmace, which is a one-handed weapon two size categories larger than him.

-Hyp.

IcyCool

First Post
Ah, excellent, I don't have to worry about taking that then.

Any takers on a build? I'm looking to use this as an NPC heavy, and I'd like to have his hits count. 10th-level equivalent, Warmace and Shield combo, probably non-good alignment.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
IcyCool said:
Ah, excellent, I don't have to worry about taking that then.

Any takers on a build? I'm looking to use this as an NPC heavy, and I'd like to have his hits count. 10th-level equivalent, Warmace and Shield combo, probably non-good alignment.

Have you considered Psychic Warrior levels, for Expansion, Strength of My Enemy, etc? Half-Giants are naturally Psionic, after all.

-Hyp.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
If you don't mind spending 4 feats for spring attack and improved shield bash, tempest might be a good Prc. You could also use a light mace in your offhand and take the various two-weapon defense feats to make up for the AC loss.

Grogtar

First Post
Try War Hulk from the Miniatures Handbook. +Str every level and some nice extras.

Psy Warrior is fantastic if you want to make a build out of it. Good Psionic feats such as Deep Impact and spells such as Acidic Weapon can mean that first hit is easily 8d6 + weapon + str. You can Enlarge so that he's huge sized. Im not sold on it though because its a one trick pony.

If I had to set the build for sheer DPS I would probably go the following

Race - Skip this half crap. Make him an Ogre. If your players are using Level Adjustment Buyoff rules (And I know we are), so should some custom bad guys. Your +2 LA Gives you 10 more STR and 4 more CON. And he's Large.

Class - Fighter 5 / War Hulk 5 - Total CL is 10. Guy would be a hard hitting fellow with a total of 40ish Strength. Hard hitting ? You've never been hit this hard before.

If I had to build it I would do this :

Ugtar

Ogre Fighter 5 / Warhulk 5

-Stats-

Stat: Number (Point Cost) [End Number]

Str : 18 (16) [40]
Dex : 14 (6) [12]
Con : 16 (10) [20]
Int : 8 (0) [4]
Wis : 8 (0) [8]
Cha : 8 (0) [4]

-Feats-

1st Level Feat : EWP War Mace
1st*Level Feat : WF War Mace
2nd*Level Feat : Cleave
3rd Level Feat : Power Attack
4th*Level Feat : Weapon Spec : War Mace
6th Level Feat : Mage Slayer
9th Level Feat : Pierce Magical Protection

Mage slayer feats are just there for lack of anything else to put in there. He has a low (+5) Base Attack Bonus but his actual to hit is somthing like 25. He can hit multiple targets if they are next to each other. And he can open the combt by throwing a giant boulder at his targets. How is that not frightening ?

I thought about Power Throw (To emphasize his boulder throwing) but in reality he's probably not going to have that many boulders around anyway.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Grogtar said:
Race - Skip this half crap. Make him an Ogre. If your players are using Level Adjustment Buyoff rules (And I know we are), so should some custom bad guys. Your +2 LA Gives you 10 more STR and 4 more CON. And he's Large.

Class - Fighter 5 / War Hulk 5 - Total CL is 10.

Er... what about his 4 Giant hit dice? Even with LA buyoff, he's still ECL 14...

-Hyp.

IcyCool

First Post
Grogtar said:
Try War Hulk from the Miniatures Handbook. +Str every level and some nice extras.

War Hulk only works if you are large size or larger. A half-giant (or Goliath, as was suggested), is medium sized. I don't want a large creature, and I don't necessarily need powerful build (it can be done with monkey grip), although I'm liking this whole Psychic Warrior Half-Giant deal. Maybe throw in a little War Mind.

At any rate, you are one of my players. I'd say stay out of this thread, but I know you won't. ;)

Shin Okada

Explorer
If you can be a half-ogre instead, you can take monkey grip and use huge warmace. You can be an psychic warrior. Or , if you have some friend arcane casters, take Human Heritage feat (from Races of Destiny) and now you can be a subject to Enlarge Person spell.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads