PrC to turn undead?

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Hi all, I am running a game where a player wants to make a non-evil necromancer. The flavor is that he’s a sorcerer, and his power comes from some kind of undead thing having to do with his or his family’s past (rather than the dragon blood idea usually associated with a sorcerer these days).

So, he’s looking for a PrC that will slowly turn him into a kind of undead. He’d like to keep most of his spellcasting, but is willing to give up a level or two for cool effects / ickyness.

I know of only the Pale Master, from LM. Is there something else we should be looking for? The idea is something like Dragon Disciple, but one that turns you undead, not dragon.

Any help would be much appreciated!

-Tatsu

moritheil

First Post
Tatsukun said:
Hi all, I am running a game where a player wants to make a non-evil necromancer. The flavor is that he’s a sorcerer, and his power comes from some kind of undead thing having to do with his or his family’s past (rather than the dragon blood idea usually associated with a sorcerer these days).

So, he’s looking for a PrC that will slowly turn him into a kind of undead. He’d like to keep most of his spellcasting, but is willing to give up a level or two for cool effects / ickyness.

I know of only the Pale Master, from LM. Is there something else we should be looking for? The idea is something like Dragon Disciple, but one that turns you undead, not dragon.

Any help would be much appreciated!

-Tatsu

Adopt the Lich template PrC and call him a Baelnorn.

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
I thought about that, but he wants to change before 11th level. The campaign just started, and the PCs are at 2nd level now. I don't want to make him wait 9 levels (most of the planned campaign arc).

But thanks for the idea, keep 'em coming!

-Tatsu

Shadeus

First Post
Although not a PrC, in Libris Mortis there is a series of feats called Tomb-Tainted. They allow you to assume some undead characteristics. I think there are four in total:

1. Tomb-tainted - you heal with inflict spells rather than cure (the pre-req feat)
2. 25% chance immune to criticals
3. No need for sleep (although spellcasters need to rest 8 hrs still)
4. hands become claws

I'm going off of memory, so that might not be entirely right. I think the #2 feat has other effects too, like bonuses against poison saves as well. it's not a PrC but gives the desired effect.

griff_goodbeard

First Post
Walker in the Waste from Sandstorm turns you into a Dry Lich at 10th level of PrC. It can be entered at 3rd level too IIRC, but you might have to adjust flavor to suite your campain.

Scharlata

First Post
Tatsukun said:
[...]Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi!

What about the Undead Monster Classes presented in Libris Mortis [p. 33+]? Take a level or two in the Vampire Spawn Monster Class, then one to three levels in Emancipated Spawn from the Savage Species [p. 75], and thereafter three levels in the Master Vampire PrC [LM, p. 56]. Afterwards some levels in Lifedrinker from the Book of Vile Darkness [p. 62]. Or take the Death's Chosen PrC in the same book [p.41]?

Or just turn the Fleshwarper from Lords of Madness [p. 189] into something like a customized "Death Hexer" Prestige Class, along with some of the Graft Points [see Fleshwarper].

Maybe the Souleater from the BoVD [p. 66] is something your player may "live" with?
Or perhaps the Thrall of Orcus [BoVD, p. 71]?

Enjoy!

IcyCool

First Post
You might want to look into the Necropolitan Template in Libris Mortis. He'd lose a spellcasting level (maybe two), but he'd be undead.

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Scharlata said:
Hi!

What about the Undead Monster Classes presented in Libris Mortis !

But don't you have to take one and finish it, like you did in Savage Species?

Re: Thrall of Orcus, I'll check it out.

Re: Necropolitan Template, that looks pretty cool, but is it balanced? A mage with full casting and D12 hit dice? Seems odd.

Thanks all, keep 'em coming!

-Tatsu

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
If you don't like the necropolitan, just give it a +1 level adjustment. I think it's probably a bit strong at +0, but not enough to worry about.

Remove ads