• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Precautions: The non-preggers kind

Xath

Moder-gator
I think that as a general precaution, everyone who carries a spirit blade, or other important artifact should have the item contingencied so that if it is taken from that particular person it automatically teleports (teleport object) either: 1. Back to that person. or 2. To a safe place TBD on this thread.

This way, if someone yoinks the Apecto's Mace, Mansblade, or the Queen's Amulet, like they did with Link's blades, we won't automatically lose them.

Now I realize this won't work in non-teleport areas, and there may be certain disadvantages to teleporting the artifact to another destination. But it's better than just letting the draconids have them.

Discuss.

The_Universe

First Post
Xath said:
I think that as a general precaution, everyone who carries a spirit blade, or other important artifact should have the item contingencied so that if it is taken from that particular person it automatically teleports (teleport object) either: 1. Back to that person. or 2. To a safe place TBD on this thread.

This way, if someone yoinks the Apecto's Mace, Mansblade, or the Queen's Amulet, like they did with Link's blades, we won't automatically lose them.

Now I realize this won't work in non-teleport areas, and there may be certain disadvantages to teleporting the artifact to another destination. But it's better than just letting the draconids have them.

Discuss.
It at least would delay the theft, and presumably you would know where they went, while the enemy would not.

The problem is that you can have only one contingency on you at any given time. Not a big problem, but a potential hassle, anyway.

Good idea.

Xath

Moder-gator
I know contingency is a personal spell. But would it be possible (with alteration) to contingency the object itself? That way, if the actual character's body is taken over (ie. soul gem, etc) than the object will no longer be with that person and can be teleported to safety.

The_Universe

First Post
that sounds like 2 contingencies.

One of which is possible as written - "If my mind leaves my body for any reason, teleport item X to place Y."

The other is not (if I get disarmed of item X, teleport it to place Y) because you have to be touching an item to teleport it.

Is there a way to do it without modifying the spell as written?

Xath

Moder-gator
It doesn't have to be 2 contingencies if you tie possesion into the soul of the person. That way if the item is physically removed or the person no longer controls their body, the item is teleported to safety.

The_Universe

First Post
Xath said:
It doesn't have to be 2 contingencies if you tie possesion into the soul of the person. That way if the item is physically removed or the person no longer controls their body, the item is teleported to safety.
But contingency can't be cast on item, only a person.

I'd say - having us carry the blades is just as safe as having it guarded... as we saw with Penny... our means to "guard" something just isn't enough... the Shadows don't do enough to prevent the sort of power they have.

The Spirit Blades are as safe - if not safer - in our hands than any place else.

Any precaution we can take is worthwhile, however; I do not believe that you can do that to an item.

Last edited:

The_Universe

First Post
I think it's worth it to cast the contingency spells, if the wielders are willing. They're as safe as they can be in your hands...but delaying their theft can be a useful tool...and help make sure that they stay in your control.

I think it's a good idea...

The question remains if the mechanics of magic can be used in such a way...?

Last edited:

Xath

Moder-gator
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
I'd say - having us carry the blades is just as safe as having it guarded... as we saw with Penny... our means to "guard" something just isn't enough... the Shadows don't do enough to prevent the sort of power they have.

The Spirit Blades are as safe - if not safer - in our hands than any place else.

Any precaution we can take is worthwhile, however; I do not believe that you can do that to an item.

I don't think anyone in the circle has an active contingency except for Jansten. Xath would be willing to tie it to herself. The circle may be strong, but we're not invincible. We have lost blades before.

Xath said:
I don't think anyone in the circle has an active contingency except for Jansten. Xath would be willing to tie it to herself. The circle may be strong, but we're not invincible. We have lost blades before.
I realize we've lost blades before. I'm not claiming we're invincible. However - I do believe that they are safest with us.

But - like I said, I wouldn't be opposed to having something cast one me if the rules will allow it.

Remove ads