• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Precautions: The non-preggers kind

The_Universe

First Post
Laurel said:
So we gave one to big blue how many levels ago, yet now we are powerful enough to just hang on to them? Big blue had one to start off with, but we still agreed to give him another one.

What is so drastically different now that we should be keeping them?
You've been keeping the mace forever.

The_Universe

First Post
Xath said:
Yes, but if it were disarmed, it would still be separated from posession of the soul, and thus transported to the safe place.

Contingency
Evocation

Level: Sor/Wiz 6

Components: V, S, M, F

Casting Time: At least 10 minutes; see text

Range: Personal

Target: You

Duration: One day/level (D) or until discharged

You can place another spell upon your person so that it comes into effect under some condition you dictate when casting contingency. The contingency spell and the companion spell are cast at the same time. The 10-minute casting time is the minimum total for both castings; if the companion spell has a casting time longer than 10 minutes, use that instead.

The spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person and be of a spell level no higher than one-third your caster level (rounded down, maximum 6th level).

The conditions needed to bring the spell into effect must be clear, although they can be general. In all cases, the contingency immediately brings into effect the companion spell, the latter being “cast” instantaneously when the prescribed circumstances occur. If complicated or convoluted conditions are prescribed, the whole spell combination (contingency and the companion magic) may fail when called on. The companion spell occurs based solely on the stated conditions, regardless of whether you want it to.

You can use only one contingency spell at a time; if a second is cast, the first one (if still active) is dispelled.

Material Component: That of the companion spell, plus quicksilver and an eyelash of an ogre mage, rakshasa, or similar spell-using creature.

Focus: A statuette of you carved from elephant ivory and decorated with gems (worth at least 1,500 gp). You must carry the focus for the contingency to work.
Cast and phrase as you will - but the more convoluted the condition, the less likely it is to succeed.

As with wishes, I will be strictly enforcing the phrasing as I interpret it.

Xath

Moder-gator
The_Universe said:
Cast and phrase as you will - but the more convoluted the condition, the less likely it is to succeed.

As with wishes, I will be strictly enforcing the phrasing as I interpret it.

I saw contingencies as more of a computer code If-Then statement than a wishlike phrase. How do you want us to format them?

Laurel

First Post
Just be careful with this, because having it attuned to just one person means no one but Xath could have the pendant and no one but justice can have the mace. If there was a need to give either to someone else even just to look at the spell would activate.

Really this does not effect me, but if everyone thinks the above is not worth worrying about then we just have to keep it in the back our minds when dealing/handling them.

And to discount my own worry, I guess if we have it going someplace specific then someone just teleports there grabs it and bings it back. The spell would have gone off and we would have to replace contingency on the object for it to work again.

Xath

Moder-gator
Well, we could tie it to what the soul considers possesion. So if you want to let someone else hold it, that's one thing. But if a person's judgement is altered by magical means, or their soul is no longer capable of making judgements, than the contingency would be triggered. It all depends on how you word it. Which is why I like the if-then statement. Much more mathematical and precise.

The_Universe

First Post
It has to be VERY simple - part of the problem is that you're trying to tie to many potential "ifs" to a single "then"

That's what allows Contingency to not be game-imbalancing. Otherwise, you could just say, "Anytime something bad happens, cast stoneskin and teleport and fireball"

It has to be VERY specific - there's a reason that the designers only want you to have 1 contingency active at a time.

:)

If/then is fine - but my interpretation of that if/then will rule the day.

Xath

Moder-gator
Contingency: If the Queen's Amulet is removed more than 15 feet from Xath Thunderheart then cast Teleport Object on the amulet to take it to (person/location)

What d'ya think?

Remove ads