• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Precise shot unbalanced?

Erithtotl

First Post
There is a player in my campagin, 4th level elven ranger, 20 dex, has point blank, precise and rapid shot, uses a mighty composite longbow (+2 str bonus). Thus he is pretty much death with the bow.

My question, precise shot eliminates the firing into melee penalty. Since this is pretty much all he ever does, the it is a tremendous bonus. The biggest problem I have is it's not range dependent. I can understand within 30 feet being able to use the feet to avoid the penalty, but lets say you're firing into melee from 180 feet away? The only penalty is the -2 range bonus, despite the fact that it would be absolutely impossible to determine where the combatants would be by the time the arrow arrives.

Shouldn't this feat be limited to the range of point blank?

Ian

hong

WotC's bitch
Erithtotl said:
My question, precise shot eliminates the firing into melee penalty. Since this is pretty much all he ever does, the it is a tremendous bonus. The biggest problem I have is it's not range dependent. I can understand within 30 feet being able to use the feet to avoid the penalty, but lets say you're firing into melee from 180 feet away? The only penalty is the -2 range bonus, despite the fact that it would be absolutely impossible to determine where the combatants would be by the time the arrow arrives.

If he's firing from behind someone else, don't forget the +4 cover bonus to AC that the target gets.

Tylias

First Post
unrealistic? probably. Unbalanced? I don't really think so... there are more insane feats than this one out there, certainly.

Crothian

First Post
Precise shot is just fine, it takes away a penalty. You still have to worry about possible cover bonuses from combatants. But the best way to determine how fait it is, is to use it against the PCs. Also, why do the badguys let this archer pick them off? Most intelligent people would either charge the archer or seek greater cover.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Wait until he gets the far shot feat, then he will not even have the -2 range penalty at 180 feet. :D

I have no problem with precise shot. If you absolutely had to modify it (perhaps address this in the house rules forum with a new post), then make it apply only within the first range increment for projectile weapons and only within 2 range increments for thrown weapons.

Oh yeah, how does this 4th level elven ranger have 3 feats instead of two?

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Dr. Zoom said:

Oh yeah, how does this 4th level elven ranger have 3 feats instead of two?

The DM probably gave him the option of swapping out TWF and Ambidex for two other feats. An eminently sensible house rule, IMO.

Sir Pentor

First Post
Monte Cook's ranger class

This is getting off topic, but I let my players use Monte Cook's revised ranger class (you can find it in the archives at www.montecook.com). Basic rundown

1) Still has fighter BAB.
2) d8 hit dice instead of d10
3) Good Ref save (in addition to the good Fort save they already have)
4) Instead of getting Amidexterity and two-weapon fighting at first level they get a bonus feat at 1, 4, 7, ...
5) Six skill points instead of 4

So it amounts to a weaker fighter that makes a good archer and can be quite sneaky when he wants to be. It's also a great class to use on your way to becoming a blade dancer (see Oriental Adventures), but that is *way, way, way, way, WAY* off topic!

Crothian

First Post
You'll notice the class adds way more then it takes away. THat's one of the reasons many people find it so good. Lose and average of 1 hp a level gain better reflex saves, many more feats, and more skill points.

Personally, I think the Ranger and the Bard are the two most redifend classes (people make their own versions) is because both are not easily defined by people. Everyone sees them asa different, but the classes are too rigid themselves.

Thanee

First Post
Yup, they are very tight rulewise, but have great potential in background, which doesn't really shine through - especially with the ranger! I personally think, the bard is fine as it is.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads