• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Preorder, cancel, preorder, cancel etc

FitzTheRuke said:
Honestly, prices like that PISS ME OFF. I'm a RETAILER (you know, with a STORE) and I'm going to be paying around $60 for all three books. How the heck am I supposed to compete with these on-line price-gougers who get some rediculous bulk discount off of WotC and then make about $3 a sale but sell hundreds of thousands of them, while I'm stuck with the stupid "suggested retail" of *** $104.95 *** or discount heavily and go out of business?

Congrats on your cheap find.

Fitz

105$ is a lot... but i like going to a store and look through what i am buying... i never bought books i could get in a store from amazon...

FitzTheRuke said:
Yeah, I've been selling the boxed set for $100 (GST included (I'm Canadian)) to walk-ins, while the regulars get their usual discount (5 to 20% off depending on loyalty and past purchasing) so the CHEAPEST I'm selling them for is $80 (I make $76.19) Seeing as I'll be buying them for around $60 I don't think it's unfair for me to make 16 bucks off of a $60 puchase.

I have kids to feed & employees to pay.

It's all well and good to "Provide a Service" and I love playing D&D with my customers, but at the end of the day, I still need to make money. Can't just do it ONLY for the love. Just mostly.

Fitz

In germany we have a shop which usually had core books 15% to 20% cheaper than usual... it instantly turned me from a walk-in to a regular customer (and i would have purchased much more, when there had been more 3.5 quality products).

Too bad i am living far away from that store, now that i have more money :/

Gort

Explorer
If Amazon is selling at $50 and your distributor is selling at $100, why aren't you just buying from Amazon and reselling? Or is that illegal or something?

Aria Silverhands

First Post
Gort said:
If Amazon is selling at $50 and your distributor is selling at $100, why aren't you just buying from Amazon and reselling? Or is that illegal or something?
Amazon might wonder why you're ordering twenty of the sets. I dunno if they would care though.

Sidenote - Fatal error: Call to undefined function can_administer() in /http/misc.php on line 37, stupid smiley popup.

Pale Jackal

First Post
FitzTheRuke said:
Honestly, prices like that PISS ME OFF... How the heck am I supposed to compete... ?

I don't know. I do know I love saving something like $55 by buying from Amazon as opposed to from B&M stores. I have never used a B&M store for anything other than Magic: the Gathering.

Valerion Steele

First Post
since our shops almost exclusively deal in magic i have to order from an online store...
that it´s only half as expensive is a coincidence...
but i feel sorry for shop owners , because i excactly know how online stores ruin you...
had a friend who owned a store and had to close because of the online competition.
theres only one store left selling rpgs who have new books in store and that in a country´s capitol...

Nowadays I order almost all of my books online. Not because I wouldnt send money to the local gaming store to keep them in business but because the local gaming store (Sci Fi City) is managed/owned and run by a bunch of jerks that wouldnt know customer service if it bit them in the butt. (Orlando, Florida)

I know a lot of other people in the Orlando area feel the same way, so 'if' (slim chance) someone from that store is actually reading you really need to do some work on your managers and employees and attitude of even of the owner. (or we wont support you)

Lifebane Soulshadow *

Dice4Hire

First Post
I decided a long time ago to get the core set, but everything after that is way up in the air.

Unfortunately I am paying 9800 yen for the set from Amazon Japan (No local retailers will carry the English books here in Japan, so I am not stiffing a retailer.)

9800 yen is about 90.00 or so US.

Cirex

First Post
Jack99 said:
><

That's more less than I pay for one book over here.

Still, it's dirt cheap ;) and even though I could get it cheaper via amazon, I am more than happy to support my local gaming stores.

Cheers

Same here. I'm preordering my gift set tomorrow and it's going to be 47€, shipping costs included. A single handbook here would cost me 40€.
Since there's one real gaming store here, they can put the prices they want. When I asked about high prices they just said "The prices are set by DeVir (distributor), not by us".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads