• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Preparing the perfect D&D 4e introductory session

Pabloj

First Post
I'd say to stat up 7 PCs myself. The less the players have to select from the easier/faster it will be for them to choose, and the more able you'll be to remember the PCs powers in order to help out when they have questions.

I found in other presentation games that having lots of pregen characters enhance the experience a lot. One of the fun parts about RPG is character creation. That is impossible in a presentation game, but having options let the players feel the character more of their own. I have found specially important to have several characters of both genders on all roles.

Also it diminishes the chaces of two players wanting the same char, or having good second options. Also, either if only 6 chars are finally used, the players get the idea of the variety of different chars you might create and play.

And finally, it makes it more fun for me, since I can´t know for sure what combination of characters will the monsters face, making the adventure more intresting and fun to DM.

Of course, when selecting characters, I dont give them any character sheet, but a sheet with the description of the race, class, a general background on the specific char and a good cool image. No numbers on this stage.

The Human Target

Adventurer
I found in other presentation games that having lots of pregen characters enhance the experience a lot. One of the fun parts about RPG is character creation. That is impossible in a presentation game, but having options let the players feel the character more of their own. I have found specially important to have several characters of both genders on all roles.

Also it diminishes the chaces of two players wanting the same char, or having good second options. Also, either if only 6 chars are finally used, the players get the idea of the variety of different chars you might create and play.

And finally, it makes it more fun for me, since I can´t know for sure what combination of characters will the monsters face, making the adventure more intresting and fun to DM.

Of course, when selecting characters, I dont give them any character sheet, but a sheet with the description of the race, class, a general background on the specific char and a good cool image. No numbers on this stage.

Hey, whatever works for you is cool with me.

Okay, a few more suggestions since I'm bossy/nosy.

Watch using more than one soldier per fight. I think its pretty unanimously agreed that they are by far the meanest monster type. At least overall.

I know the rule of thumb for 4E is that the PCs shouldn't be fighting monsters of more than their level +5. But in general, and for a exhibition one of in particular, I'd say limit that to their level +2.

If you use a dragon and keep it a solo, make sure that the drow or duergar or what have you guarding the noble is weak and maybe even have the guards be a few minions. Solos don't need the help, and chances are if the PCs engage the guard while still fighting the dragon its going to be trouble.

Pabloj

First Post
Run the game last weekend and it went great. Couple of things I want to share:

* I ended up giving them 5 classic lvl 1 chars, and they worked great. Even I was impressed at all the party could do, even without any utility or magic items. And the players were really impressed as well, some old time players were amazed at their lvl 1 chars.

* The players catched on giving their own flavor to the mechanics. It really made it more fun and less cartoony.

* For time constraints I never made it past the ambush scene. The players never noticed it, because it was really a blast. They almost screamed in terror as I placed all the minions, brutes and stuff in the map. The room with the ambush alcoves really played quite well in this. It was a vicious, close quarters, epic kind of fight. It was a lot of fun for everyone in the table, and lots of spectators around it.

I must say "good work" to the D&D 4th edition designers. It is really a great game, and even though I personally prefer other kind of RPGd, I believe that this 4th Ed is really great for a D&D game. I’m definitively sold. ;)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads