• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Presentations for your game

Hjorimir

Adventurer
I may also make a continuous looping slide show of art that illustrates the world and the campaign. I used to make slide shows for my last unit that we kept running in continual loops 24/7 - slide shows that would have unit news, award winners, motivational pictures and quotes, etc. It's been a little while though, so I'll have to blow the dust off of my Power Point skills.;)
That's a great idea! Yoink!

kitsune9

Adventurer
I like the letters idea! Speaking in character through NPCs can bring a lot of flavor to a setting.

As for hidden beneficial rules, that's sneaky of you...I approve. :]

I do know that all of the players did read the letters sections of the Primer, because topics were brought up in the letter were mentioned in the campaign and they knew right off what I was discussing. So the letters approach was a hit for me. I will definitely take this approach for the next campaign and the PPT.

The way I made each letter unique though was to change the font, but each font had to be readable.

Another thing I did though not necessarily at the beginning of the campaign was to write a short story about certain events going on, because one of my players asked for a recap for a couple of sessions. The story was only two pages long, but the players really digged that too. The short story was a way to give the players a recap of some previous adventures to help them to keep track. I also wrote another portion of it from a journal perspective of one of the NPC's that they were dealing with.

I know in our campaigns, not all our players are taking good notes of the great details we as DMs give them. This kind of story recap helps them keep it as a handout and as DMs we have full control as to what really important stuff about our campaigns we want them to pay attention to for later or for clues. I like to keep it short though and limit it about three pages at the most. Anything longer than that, unless you're a brilliant writer, you're likely to put your players to sleep (I'm guilty of that). Also, I only want to clue in a few details at a time.

Of course, the last thing is that when any DM gives their players a handout, story, primer, or so on, the DM must edit it and use proper grammar. I know when I get stuff at a con game and it's filled with typos, bad grammar, and I see that there is pages of this stuff, I just give up and try to wing it. My home game players are no different. If I've rushed-job the handout, they stop reading after the second or so paragraph.

Quickleaf

Legend
Nice PowerPoint Hjorimir! :) I especially liked the music you chose.

Most players will barely absorb more than a few sentences about the game/world, and even good players can only digest about a page at a time. I think presentations like this, while a little formal, really grab the short attention span players can have and hit them with the important stuff (e.g. Vulcara, Traitor Prince of Blackgate, Autarch).

I've started using Windows Movie Maker, which I like because you can do voice-overs, audio, screen fades, and fancy title-image overlays. The files are big though...13 MB for my finished intro movie.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Very nice PowerPoint. What's your source for the music and art?
The music came from Elizabeth: The Golden Age (not really a good movie, but it had some good music). As for art...sheesh...I have thousands of saved art and sound files from all over the place.

I'm something of a freak for bringing my game to life. I use PowerPoint, background music, sound effects, I make my own counters (no substiuting orcs for demons, character counters look like same picture on their sheet), and so on. I toil endlessly on the details. It's my hobby afterall.

Remove ads