• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Presenting the nominees for the 2009 ENnie Awards

Crothian

First Post
Was there a reason there were no "honorable mentions" this year?

We decided to get rid of them. The pros of mentioning another product in each category I think is out weighed by not everyone understanding what it means (including us) and it was seen as a negative by some people. It was the product we mentioned that just wasn't good enough to be voted on. I will go on the record and say I was in favor of not having honorable mentions.

We decided to get rid of them. The pros of mentioning another product in each category I think is out weighed by not everyone understanding what it means (including us) and it was seen as a negative by some people. It was the product we mentioned that just wasn't good enough to be voted on. I will go on the record and say I was in favor of not having honorable mentions.

I think it was pretty much the general consensus from way back this year that unless we absolutely couldn't agree on 5, there'd be no honorbale mentions.

I'd still like to see each judge get a 'Judge's Award' to highlight the product they really liked that maybe no one else did.

I think it was pretty much the general consensus from way back this year that unless we absolutely couldn't agree on 5, there'd be no honorbale mentions.

I'd still like to see each judge get a 'Judge's Award' to highlight the product they really liked that maybe no one else did.

I'm all for that. There are some things that are sadly missing from this year's list, but I'm extremely pleased with what we came up with. Everything on that list deserves its place.

Mythmere1

First Post
Today in my blog (see sig) I talk about my favorite category: Best Writing.

I think it's sort of a shame that you're not going to write about the Free Product category - although I can understand the idea that people can simply go and get the free products ... for free. The other side of that coin, though, is that most people don't go and look at things without some kind of spur to do so, like a comment or two in your blog.

Obviously, this is a self-interested post, since Swords & Wizardry is my entry, but since I'm up against a lot of quick-start rules it would be nice, for example, to have a comment out there that S&W is a full-scale complete game. Or that it's a retro-clone. Some sort of nugget, even "Crothian hated this so much it hurt." That would get people looking to see if they agree. ... Something ...

People aren't going to go out and research their votes very much, even in the free category. Some will, of course, but even a nugget of information makes it more likely that someone will go and look at a product rather than just voting for the big names (and I've got big, known-for-quality names up against me that will have lots of automatic votes).

Especially since there's a slight teapot-tempest about the quick-start rules in that category, it would be nice to hear the scoop on the nomination process. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads