Prestige Class: Itinerate Taleswapper

LiquidBlue

First Post
Itinerate Taleswapper

The Itinerate Taleswappers arise from those cultures which maintain an oral tradition. Itinerate Taleswappers differ from their fellow historians in that they actively seek out the traditions of other cultures and hidden histories.

Hit Die
d6

Requirements:

To qualify to become a Taleswapper, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Skills
Knowledge(History) 8 ranks, Perform(Oratory or Singing) 8 ranks
At least 10 skill ranks divided between any knowledge skills other than Knowledge(History)

Spells
Ability to cast at least 3 spells from the divination school, one of which must be 2nd level or higher.

Special
Bardic Knowledge class ability or equivalent (such as the Loremaster's lore ability), Instruction by another Itinerate Taleswapper

Class Skills
The lorekeeper's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at Each Level
4 + Int Modifier

Code:
Level   BAB   Fort   Ref   Will   Special                             Spells per day
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st     +0    +0     +0    +2     Knowledge Focus, Divination Focus,  +1 level of existing class
                                  Divination Agility, [i]Exposition[/i]
2nd     +1    +0     +0    +3     Lore +1                             +1 level of bard
3rd     +2    +1     +1    +3     [i]Mnemonic Chant[/i]                      +1 level of existing class
4th     +3    +1     +1    +4     Lore +2                             +1 level of bard
5th     +3    +1     +1    +4     [i]Visions of the Past[/i]                 +1 level of existing class

Class Features
All of the following are features of the Itinerate Taleswapper prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Itinerate Taleswappers gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day
When the 1st, 3rd, or 5th Itinerate Taleswapper level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the indicated levels of Taleswapper to the level of some other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly.

When the 2nd or 4th Itinerate Taleswapper level is gained, and if the character has bardic spellcasting, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a bard level. This means that he adds the indicated levels of Taleswapper to the level of bard then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly.

Bardic Music
If the Itinerate Taleswapper has the Bardic music class ability, then Taleswapper levels stack with bard levels to determine Bardic music uses per day. Taleswapper levels also stack with bard levels to detemine which bardic music effects are available.

Bardic Knowledge
Itinerate Taleswapper levels are applied as a bonus to bardic knowledge or lore checks just as if the character had gained a level in the class which grants the character that ability.

Knowledge Focus
In addition to the normal number of skill points gained at each Taleswapper level, the Itinerate Taleswapper gains 4 bonus skill points for each class level gained. These bonus skill points must be spent on a knowledge skill, and each skill point must be spent on a different knowledge. These skill points must obey the normal rules for maximum skill ranks.

Divination Focus
When the spellcasting class modified by levels 1, 3, and 5 is a spontaneous spellcaster, n addition to the normal number of spells known, the Itinerate Taleswapper knows one additional divination spell of each spell level he is capable of casting. For example, a 5th-level bard/1st-level Taleswapper knows six 0-level bard spells plus one 0-level bard spell of the divination school (such as detect magic, know direction, or read magic). The Taleswapper's number of spells per day does not change.

Divination Agility
Add the following spells to the Itinerate Taleswapper's bardic spell list: 1st—detect chaos/evil/good/law; 2nd—zone of truth; 3rd—arcane sight; 4th—analyze dweomer (lowered from 6th), sending; 5th—contact other plane, greater scrying (lowered from 6th); 6th—true seeing, vision.

This ability does nothing for the Taleswapper without a bardic spell list.

Lore
A Itinerate Taleswapper gains the indicated bonus on all bardic knowledge or lore checks.

Bardic Music Effects
The Itinerate Taleswapper gains the following bardic music effects. If the Taleswapper did not have the bardic music ability, he gains a number of bardic music abilties per day equal to his class level, and may use the following effects if he meets the prerequisites.

Exposition
An Itinerate Taleswapper of 1st level or higher with 9 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use his music or poetics to create an illusion which enhances his performance. The use of this ability replicates the silent image spell at caster level 1 which endures for the length of some performance.

The image is obviously illusory, and no creature viewing it need make a will save to disbelieve. The image complements the Taleswapper's performance and provides a +2 circumstance bonus.

Mnemonic Chant
An Itinerate Taleswapper of 3rd level or higher with 11 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use his music or poetics to stimulate his memory. You can recall natural memories and knowledge otherwise inaccessible to you.

Following a Knowledge, Bardic Knowledge, or Lore check, you can use this ability to gain a new check with a +4 competence bonus. You instantly recall what was previously buried in your subconscious.

Visions of the Past
An Itinerate Lorekeeper of 5th level with 13 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use his music or poetics to gain an understanding of a location's past. He creates images of a given location's history which both he and other creatures present may view.
Rooms, streets, tunnels, and other discrete locations accumulate emotional impressions left by powerful experiences in a given area. These impressions offer a picture of the location’s past.

The types of events most likely to leave impressions are those that elicited strong emotions: battles and betrayals, marriages and murders, births and great pain, or any other event where one emotion dominates. Everyday occurrences leave no residue for the Taleswapper to detect.

The image of the event is dreamlike, shadowy, and obviously illusory. Witnesses do not gain special knowledge of those involved in the vision, though they might be able to read large banners or other writing.

Beginning with the most recent significant event at a location and working backward in time, the Taleswapper can reveal one distinct event for every 10 minutes he concetrates, if any such events exist to be sensed. Your sensitivity extends into the past a maximum number of years equal to 100 × Ranks in your highest perfrom skill. The Lorekeeper may concetrate on this ability for a maximum of minutes equal to 10 x his Bardic Knowledge modifier.

[sblock=Bard only option]Itinerate Taleswapper

The Itinerate Taleswappers arise from those cultures which maintain an oral tradition. Itinerate Taleswappers differ from their fellows in that they actively seek out the traditions of other cultures and hidden histories.

Hit Die
d6

Requirements:

To qualify to become a Taleswapper, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Skills
Knowledge(History) 8 ranks, Perform(Oratory or Singing) 8 ranks

Spells
Ability to cast at least 3 spells from the divination school, one of which must be 2nd level or higher.

Special
Bardic Knowledge class ability, Instruction by another Itinerate Taleswapper

Class Skills
The lorekeeper's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at Each Level
4 + Int Modifier

Code:
Level   BAB   Fort   Ref   Will   Special                             Spells
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st     +0    +0     +0    +2     Knowledge Focus, Divination Focus,  +1 level of bard
                                  Divination Agility, [i]Exposition[/i]
2nd     +1    +0     +0    +3     Bardic Lore +1                      +1 level of bard
3rd     +2    +1     +1    +3     [i]Mnemonic Chant[/i]                      +1 level of bard
4th     +3    +1     +1    +4     Bardic Lore +2                      +1 level of bard
5th     +3    +1     +1    +4     [i]Visions of the Past[/i]                 +1 level of bard

Class Features
All of the following are features of the Itinerate Taleswapper prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Itinerate Taleswappers gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day
When a new Taleswapper level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a bard level. This means that he adds the level of Taleswapper to the level of bard then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly.

Bardic Music
Itinerate Taleswapper levels stack with bard levels to determine Bardic music uses per day. Taleswapper levels also stack with bard levels to detemine which bardic music effects are available.

Bardic Knowledge
Taleswapper levels stack with bard levels as a bonus to bardic knowledge checks.

Knowledge Focus
In addition to the normal number of skill points gained at each Taleswapper level, the Itinerate Taleswapper gains 4 bonus skill points for each class level gained. These bonus skill points must be spent on a knowledge skill, and each skill point must be spent on a different knowledge. These skill points must obey the normal rules for maximum skill ranks.

Divination Focus
In addition to the normal number of spells known, a Itinerate Taleswapper knows one divination spell of each spell level he is capable of casting. For example, a 5th-level bard/1st-level Taleswapper knows six 0-level bard spells plus one 0-level bard spell of the divination school (such as detect magic, know direction, or read magic). The Taleswapper's number of spells per day does not change.

Divination Agility
Add the following spells to the Itinerate Taleswapper's bardic spell list: 1st—detect chaos/evil/good/law; 2nd—zone of truth; 3rd—arcane sight; 4th—analyze dweomer (lowered from 6th), sending; 5th—contact other plane, greater scrying (lowered from 6th); 6th—true seeing, vision.

Bardic Lore
A Itinerate Taleswapper gains the indicated bonus on all bardic knowledge checks.

Bardic Music Effects
The Itinerate Taleswapper gains the following bardic music effects.

Exposition
An Itinerate Taleswapper of 1st level or higher with 9 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use his music or poetics to create an illusion which enhances his performance. The use of this ability replicates the silent image spell at caster level 1 which endures for the length of some performance.

The image is obviously illusory, and no creature viewing it need make a will save to disbelieve. The image complements the Lorekeeper's performance and provides a +2 circumstance bonus.

Mnemonic Chant
An Itinerate Taleswapper of 3rd level or higher with 11 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use his music or poetics to stimulate his memory. You can recall natural memories and knowledge otherwise inaccessible to you.

Following Knowledge or Bardic Knowledge check, you can use this ability to gain a new check with a +4 competence bonus. If successful, you instantly recall what was previously buried in your subconscious.

Visions of the Past
An Itinerate Lorekeeper of 5th level with 13 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use his music or poetics to gain an understanding of a location's past. He creates images of a given location's history which both he and other creatures present may view.
Rooms, streets, tunnels, and other discrete locations accumulate emotional impressions left by powerful experiences in a given area. These impressions offer a picture of the location’s past.

The types of events most likely to leave impressions are those that elicited strong emotions: battles and betrayals, marriages and murders, births and great pain, or any other event where one emotion dominates. Everyday occurrences leave no residue for the Lorekeeper to detect.

The image of the event is dreamlike, shadowy, and obviously illusory. Witnesses do not gain special knowledge of those involved in the vision, though they might be able to read large banners or other writing.

Beginning with the most recent significant event at a location and working backward in time, the Taleswapper can reveal one distinct event for every 10 minutes he concetrates, if any such events exist to be sensed. Your sensitivity extends into the past a maximum number of years equal to 100 × Ranks in your highest perfrom skill. The Lorekeeper may concetrate on this ability for a maximum of minutes equal to 10 x his Bardic Knowledge modifier.[/sblock]

Last edited:

LiquidBlue

First Post
Explanation

The proposed prestige class is my attempt to adapt the Bardic Sage class from Arcana Unearthed.

The Bardic sage provides the following benefits: 1 additional spell known from the divination school, additional spells to the bard's spell list, and +2 bonus to bardic knowledge checks. Unlike the bard it has poor reflex saves.

In addition to the bardic sage adaption I gave the lorekeeper the following abilities:

Knowledge Focus. I removed two skill points but then gave them back as bonus skill points. This seemed like a good mechanic to force the Lorekeeper to devote the points to knowledge skills. I considered giving them three bonus points per level (giving the lorekeeper a net +1 skill point per level), but WOTC generally gives even numbers of skill points. Thus I gave lorekeepers 4 bonus skill points per level (givining the lorekeeper a net +2 skill points per level.) I gave this allotment restriction, so that all of these skill points do not unbalance the lorekeeper, but merely adds to the flavor. (ie the sage the knows much about much.)

Bardic Music Effects. This are strict additions to the standard bard, but I believe that the effects provided are generally quite mild. The Exposition ability fits less into the flavor of the class, but I liked the idea. It make reference to the OOTS's bardic spell "Summon Plot Exposition"

Call to Mind and Visions of the Past are adapted from 1st and 2nd level powers respectively. Call to Mind enhances the Lorekeeper's sage-like abilities. While Visions of the Past help fulfill the Itinerate Lorekeeper's goal of discovering and remembering the past.

The Itinerate Lorekeeper strictly enhances the bard class; however, I feel that the additions are mostly flavorful, and I am not sure that the bard is generally accused of being overpowered anyway.

My character, the gnome bard Joru ghe Bana will be aiming for this class. It is essentially what his backstory states he has being training his entire life to become. I know that in LEW it is possible for individual character to develope unique abilities, but in this case I think that an accepted Lorekeeper should be available to all bards.

Velmont

First Post
I see that PrC is very bard oriented, but don't forget there is generally more than a way to enter a PrC, a good way here would be a wizard that become loremaster could be a good way, mainly if you allow to substitute Bardic Knowledge for Lore. If there is only 1 way to enter a PrC, to me, it is no more a PrC. You better suggest some alternative to a basic class, like there is already some in LEW (Barbarian Totem, Scent ability for the Ranger)

And also, I find teh spirit of this class pretty near of teh loremaster, so I don't see in the fluff what it add to the world. I am not sure, but maybe, we could simply go with the Bardic Sage

LiquidBlue

First Post
Velmont said:
I see that PrC is very bard oriented, but don't forget there is generally more than a way to enter a PrC, a good way here would be a wizard that become loremaster could be a good way, mainly if you allow to substitute Bardic Knowledge for Lore. If there is only 1 way to enter a PrC, to me, it is no more a PrC. You better suggest some alternative to a basic class, like there is already some in LEW (Barbarian Totem, Scent ability for the Ranger)

I can understand this feeling, and I mostly agree. However, the Thaumaturgist is one example of a SRD prestige class that has a single entry point (Lesser Planar Ally can only be achieve through seventh level cleric spellcasting.)

I intentionally made the class useful exclusively to bards. I thought that the class would too powerful if it gave +1 level of existing spellcasting level to full progression spellcasters. Perhaps I was incorrect in my thinking, In which case the spells per day could be expanded from +1 of bard level. In this case the class would be very useful for muticlass bard/other spellcaster, as it would advance the bard abilities and the other spellcaster class.

Velmont said:
And also, I find teh spirit of this class pretty near of teh loremaster, so I don't see in the fluff what it add to the world. I am not sure, but maybe, we could simply go with the Bardic Sage

The class was originally named simply the Lorekeeper, but I was concerned that it would be too easily confused with the Loremaster, so I instead named it the Itinerate Lorekeeper. I agree that at first glance there are many simularities between the two classes.

Perhaps the greatest difference is that despite its flavor, the Loremaster class is a poor choice for a bard. The Loremaster introduces a non-stackable mechanic similar to bardic knowledge, and it requires three item creation or metamagic feats, which for the bard as a less than full progression, spntaneous spellcaster are a very poor use of feats. Thus, though some bards would fit well with the flavor or idea of the loremaster, bards are a very poor choice with the loremaster.

I considered proposing that the Baric Sage be accepted as another core class, but as the variant merely adds to the class without taking much away (Poor reflex saves and inspire courage lasts 2 rounds less.), it was a simple matter to simply implement it as a prestige class.

B4cchus

Explorer
At first glance it seems very overpowered to me.
Eacht level gives +1 caster level (almost equivalent of a feat), +4 skillpoints (almost equivalent to a feat) and some special abilities (two times extra spells, each worth almost a feat and some less powerfull abilities), advancement of bardic music and bardic lore.

The entry requirements seem very lean: only one skill at 8 ranks (easy for a base class with 4+ skillpoints/lvl).

I see no disadvantages at all from going into this class form bard : only -2 skillpoints but you get +4 bonus skillpints in stead.
This class seems like no-brainer for any bard. When a PrC becomes a no-brainer I rank it as overpowered: no significant scarifices needed and at all points better than the base class it is aimed at.

Velmont

First Post
LiquidBlue said:
I can understand this feeling, and I mostly agree. However, the Thaumaturgist is one example of a SRD prestige class that has a single entry point (Lesser Planar Ally can only be achieve through seventh level cleric spellcasting.)

True and False... True for LEW as we have limited choice of class (only the SRD). False because the Archivist and the Favored Soul both can be thaumaturgist.

LiquidBlue said:
The class was originally named simply the Lorekeeper, but I was concerned that it would be too easily confused with the Loremaster, so I instead named it the Itinerate Lorekeeper. I agree that at first glance there are many simularities between the two classes.

There is a few similarity in the stats, but I feel that in the concept, in teh background, it fill exactly the same spot, or they are just too close to my taste. Specaility in divination, bardic lore. You PrC is slightly more History oriented than Arcana, like the loremaster, but I think it is not enough.

LiquidBlue said:
Perhaps the greatest difference is that despite its flavor, the Loremaster class is a poor choice for a bard. The Loremaster introduces a non-stackable mechanic similar to bardic knowledge, and it requires three item creation or metamagic feats, which for the bard as a less than full progression, spntaneous spellcaster are a very poor use of feats. Thus, though some bards would fit well with the flavor or idea of the loremaster, bards are a very poor choice with the loremaster.

Honestly, I would see no problem to see Loremaster level being stacakable with Bard on Bardic knowledge. That could be made as a proposal.

LiquidBlue said:
I considered proposing that the Baric Sage be accepted as another core class, but as the variant merely adds to the class without taking much away (Poor reflex saves and inspire courage lasts 2 rounds less.), it was a simple matter to simply implement it as a prestige class.

I would rather see as a variant if you want to restrict it to the Bard only, or open it that other class could access it if you want to see it as PrC.

But I agree that a way to have the bard more historian orientation and less performer could be a good idea.

LiquidBlue

First Post
I have renamed the proposed Prestige class, from the beginning I was concern that the name Lorekeeper was much too close to Loremaster, but I couldn't think of a better name. I believe Taleswapper works well. (It is a name from the Alvin Maker series.)

B4cchus said:
I see no disadvantages at all from going into this class form bard : only -2 skillpoints but you get +4 bonus skillpints in stead.
This class seems like no-brainer for any bard. When a PrC becomes a no-brainer I rank it as overpowered: no significant scarifices needed and at all points better than the base class it is aimed at.

The other drawback from pure bard is a poorer reflex save. The skillpoints become either an advantage or disadvantage depending on how many skill points the character desired to invest in knowledge skills. I readily recognize that the PrC offers nearly no drawbacks. But that is the same case for any PrC that offers full spellcasting progression, especially for clerics as they lose no class features, but also for wizards and sorcerers as they only lose the ocassional metamagic or item creation feat.

But I suppose that is not really the point. Is a PrC overpowered when it becomes something of a no-brainer? Almost certainly, but I do not believe that this is the case for the Taleswapper. What does the Bard\Itinerate Taleswapper gain over the pure Bard? First it gains the Bardic Sage abilities: an extra divination spell known of each level, a slightly expanded spell list, and a +2 bonus to Bardic Knowledge checks.

The Itinerate Taleswapper also gains 2 extra ranks in knowledge skills each level and some minor bardic music effects. Do these abilities in aggregate make the Bard overpowered? I do not believe so, and thus in this case I argue that the no-brainer PrC is not overpowered.

Velmont said:
True and False... True for LEW as we have limited choice of class (only the SRD). False because the Archivist and the Favored Soul both can be thaumaturgist.

Since we are discussing a change to LEW, I think it is irrelavant whether in other campaign settings other things are possible. It is entirely possible that some combination of outside classes would allow acces to the Itinerate Taleswapper, but that would hardly assuage your concerns.

Other limited entry SRD PrCs include the Hierophant and the Psionic Fist. I recognize however that the objection is made on design matters, and not of precedent. That is, I do not believe that your objection arises because you believe such a design element breaks established PrC precedents, but rather you believe it is a poor PrC design that has such narrow entry points.

I don't have an answer. The class is only useful to a character with at least one bard level. I don't think that such a case disqualifies it as a PrC, but I do understand how you may think so, and on generally principles I might agree. But I think that in this specific case, it is not a problem.

Velmont said:
There is a few similarity in the stats, but I feel that in the concept, in teh background, it fill exactly the same spot, or they are just too close to my taste. Specaility in divination, bardic lore. You PrC is slightly more History oriented than Arcana, like the loremaster, but I think it is not enough.

I think you actually identified the very important differences between the Loremaster and the Itinerate Taleswapper. The Loremaster is very Arcana based. It requires 3 metamagic or item creations feats, it provides Identify ans Analyze Dweomer as SLAs, and it can provide additional spells per day. In otherwords, the Loremaster fulfills the role of the arcanist who has devoted himself to the study and identification of magic.

The Itinerate Lorekeeper through its emphasis on knowledge skills and Bardic Knowledge is much more focused on the discovery and disemination of mundane knowledge. I believe that given these differences, and the flavor text that I have added, these two PrC's have sufficiently distinct roles in the world.

Velmont

First Post
By the way, I could see Perform(Oratory) as a prerequisit skill to that class. I don't see a dancer or percussionist being a good Itinerate Taleswapper...

LiquidBlue

First Post
Velmont said:
By the way, I could see Perform(Oratory) as a prerequisit skill to that class. I don't see a dancer or percussionist being a good Itinerate Taleswapper...

Thank you for the suggestion. I agree completely. I might expand it to Perform(Singing) as well as it includes ballads and chants.

LiquidBlue

First Post
Velmont, I have given more thought to your suggestion that the class be accessible to a wider variety of character. I have come to the conclusion that my biggest objection has been that +1 to spellcasting level at each class level is significantly different when applied to bard spellcasting than when applied to a full casting class such as wizard or cleric. That is 5 levels of bard spellcasting is roughly equivalent to 3 levels of full progression spellcasting.

I believe that I have a mechanic which would allow the class to be more expansive.

Levels 1, 3, 5 could provide +1 level to a spellcasting class, while levels 2 and 4 could provide +1 level to bard spellcasting.

The character that enters the class as a straight bard then receives all five levels of spellcasting. The mulitclass spellcaster/bard would receive +3 levels to the spellcasting class, and +2 levels to the bard. The Loremaster who uses their Lore feature as an equivalent to bardic knowledge would receive +3 to their spellcating class, but the +2 bard levels would not apply.

This option is so attractive that I am going to go ahead and make the changes. I would like to hear what other members of the board think.

Remove ads