• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Previews for Dungeon 148 and Dragon 357 (July 2007)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It would be nice if Dungeon #148 gave us at least a little something on the other imprisoned demon lords as well, just for sheer coolness. That'd be doubly true for Dahak, as his section in FCI was cut.

As for the future Demonomicons, though...I'm torn between wanting more on the FCI demon lords, and wanting the BoVD ones revisited (anyone else notice that there's never been an aspect of Graz'zt, for instance?).

And yeah, more love for the Prince of the Undead is always welcome. :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Al,

You read my mind.

*isn't torn so much as "Do Orcus first THEN do the rest in any order*

But I will allow for Aspects of Graz'zt sure.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Issue #148 can't do what it needs to do without expanding on the information given in FCI about the Wells of Darkness. The chance of getting more information about the demons imprisoned there in this issue is 100%.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
James Jacobs said:
Not to open a can of worms or anything... but what would a version of Orcus have to do in order not to suck?

sorry, but you opened that one wide open. ;)

also, to toot my own horn yet once again, i recently updated my Demonic Lore II thread - for all your obscure demon lord info needs. ;)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
James Jacobs said:
Not to open a can of worms or anything... but what would a version of Orcus have to do in order not to suck?

James,

Basically it would have to be at least CR 33+ Be able to cast Cleric and Necromancer Spells at 20th level caster, and probably undead traits.

Profane aura would be cool as well.

Overall I'd say way better than the BoVD version. Probably close to or better than the version in Tome of Horrors and/or Rappan Athuk.

Shemeska

Adventurer
James Jacobs said:
Issue #148 can't do what it needs to do without expanding on the information given in FCI about the Wells of Darkness. The chance of getting more information about the demons imprisoned there in this issue is 100%.

*nodding*

I'll be curious to see how well it'll mesh with the stuff I created to flesh out the layer in my own campaign. I sent my victims PCs there to find an entrance to a layer of the plane itself that was sealed off eons ago, potentially by Pale Night, potentially by something older that had a hand in creating the earliest portions of the Wells that were then subsequently expanded upon by the Obyriths and then the Tanar'ri in more recent eons.

I had a particular pool with an eroded, intentionally defaced lip surrounded by a trio of disturbingly intelligent viper trees: one bleached white, one gray, one black. And of course they chatted up the PCs as all DM mouthpieces do:
“Should we tell the Custodians about them?"
"No no, simply report them to the interested parties."
"Yes, the extended family perhaps…
"...at least the living ones. One of them’s still here elsewhere in the wells of course."
"Placate us mortals.”

The giant Bodak "Custodians" from FC:I seriously made an impression on my players. One of the little gems from that layer in the book.

I eagerly await more details on the layer from you guys. I have high expectations
shemmysmile.gif

Razz

Banned
Banned
James Jacobs said:

For a demon lord to possess the title "Prince of Demons" I would have to say CR 35+, personally.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads