• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

price of a wish

mvincent

Explorer
EyeontheMountain said:
Allowing players to buy wishes for such a measely price would break any game in half.
26,530 gp isn't that much less than, say:
1) The 27,500 gp cost per wish (market price) when buying any of the magic manuals that increase stats.
2) The 28,825 gp cost per wish scroll as given in the DMG
2) The 32650 gp cost per wish when buying a ring of three wishes, or
3) The 40300 gp cost per wish when buying a luck blade.

These things don't seem to "break any game game in half". Indeed, they seem to be very much a part of D&D.

Raspen

First Post
the thing is with the items you can take them with you and use them as needed even if you find someone to cast wish for you i would bet that he wouldnt follow you around and use it when you tell him to do so.

moritheil

First Post
Raspen said:
well as to what i need a wish for and where i have gone........

Opps dont ask but im turned permently into a girl and my guy dont like that to much...

To make matters worse my GM whats a bit of suffering on my part so only a wish/marcale

since im agnostic.. wish is my only real option.

im in waterdeep so Protectors guild it is.... my resquest will be handled within 10 days..

Just wondering what its going to cost me if he even lets it happen.

I don't really see why your character's beliefs would prevent him or her from finding out whether or not a miracle would work. Agnostic means that you believe that ultimately questions of divinity are unanswerable, not that you refuse magical healing or other divine spellcasting . . . unless you use the word differently.

Of course, if you believe that miracles don't exist at all and your character doesn't want to risk the money, that's different. ;)

Furtive Noise

First Post
To piggyback on this wish discussion... the crafty PC wizard in my game just turned 17th level and got wish. His plan is to scribe wish scrolls so he'll have enough to cast a bunch in succession for +5 inherent intellect. Powerful, but fine. I'm not certain how much it would cost (xp and $-wise) though, the formula seems to be interpretable different ways with high xp cost items like this. Can someone let me know what the cost would be to craft one wish scroll?

Also, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you couldn't go below your current level with xp costs, though you could delay leveling. My player disagrees but I can't find where I read this. Am I mistaken? Thanks in advance!

mvincent

Explorer
Furtive Noise said:
Can someone let me know what the cost would be to craft one wish scroll?
1912.5 gp, 5153 xp.

(note that a Tome of Clear Thought could be made for 1,250 gp + 5,100 XP per +1, but that probably wouldn't save anything if he can prepare at least two wishes on the day he does this)

Also, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you couldn't go below your current level with xp costs, though you could delay leveling. My player disagrees but I can't find where I read this. Am I mistaken?
You are correct.

Last edited:

Raspen

First Post
my guy/girl has a huge ego and badmouth religon.
I dont think it would be very RP of me to go to a priest in my time of need.

and if you cant lose a lvl from casting wish can someone post where thats found in the rules please.

James McMurray

First Post
Raspen said:
the thing is with the items you can take them with you and use them as needed even if you find someone to cast wish for you i would bet that he wouldnt follow you around and use it when you tell him to do so.

True, but it still doesn't explain how you get something that's supposed to be unavailble suddenly available because you changed from "cast a spell" to "cast a spell during item creation."

pawsplay

Hero
Raspen said:
well as to what i need a wish for and where i have gone........

Opps dont ask but im turned permently into a girl and my guy dont like that to much...

By the book, break enchantment should fix this no mess, no fuss.

Nail

First Post
Furtive Noise said:
To piggyback on this wish discussion... the crafty PC wizard in my game just turned 17th level and got wish. His plan is to scribe wish scrolls so he'll have enough to cast a bunch in succession for +5 inherent intellect. Powerful, but fine.
This is what my PC did too. I called it "banking" XP. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads