• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

price of H1 Keep on the Shadowfell

carmachu

Adventurer
Propagandroid said:
WotC said at GAMA that all the modules would be 96 pages and $29.95.

Ouch. I cant say I'm pleased about that at all. All of them? Couldnt they try a little variety? I mean Piazo's pathfinder is only $19.99 for 96 pages, and 30% cheaper with a subscription....

Voss

First Post
Thats a pretty rough cost for half a module and a bare trickle of preview content.
$20 would be high end for something this small, let alone $30.
One more reason to pass on the module line, I guess.

Henry

Autoexreginated
It's a little steep for a preview, in my opinion. With great reminiscences of Sunless Citadel at a 10 buck price point, 25 bucks as an MSRP sounds a little counterproductive. But, I'm no marketing genius, so maybe it'll work out for them.

Digital M@

Explorer
I am buying it. I am no rules nut (not that it is bad). I have read a lot of previews but have not created detailed charts of rules, created characters etc. I just read them to get an overall idea of the new game. I will buy this to have an example adventure to see how they put together the encounters and adventure flow. If the adventure is no good, then I will not buy future ones, but I am buying H 1 for sure.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Henry said:
It's a little steep for a preview, in my opinion. With great reminiscences of Sunless Citadel at a 10 buck price point, 25 bucks as an MSRP sounds a little counterproductive. But, I'm no marketing genius, so maybe it'll work out for them.

Sunless Citadel was $10 for 32 pages, 8 years ago.

If it's $25, that's for 64 adventure pages + preview pages (32? 16?) + 3 poster maps.

Jack Colby

First Post
I tend to buy the first adventure of a new edition, just to see how they put it together and handled the rules. It will be a good example for making my own 4E stuff, plus I like the premise of the scenario. I do think that it would have been smarter to release it a month or two ago, however. WotC screwed up somewhat by releasing it so close to the actual rulebooks.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Immolate said:
WotC says:

Item Code 217187400
Release Date May 2008
Format Trade Paperback
Page Count 64
ISBN 978-0-7869-4850-5
Price $24.95 ; C$32.95

So hard to say.
Easy to say we're going to get ripped off *again* in Canada if that pricing holds up...the two currencies are at pretty close to par these days and there's no way in hell it costs an extra $8 per unit to ship 'em up here.

If anyone from WotC happens to read this, please explain the US-Cdn pricing difference. Thanks.

Lanefan

Ian Demagi

Explorer
H1

Its what I have said for months, WotC made a marketing mistake by having this come out so close to 4E. If this would have come out mid March, I doubt if they could have kept them in stock. Now its pretty easy to just wait on 4E and make your own adventure or wait for 3rd party stuff. Ian.

edveal

Explorer
If I remember correctly the timing issue is because WotC changed the release date of the core books. I think the original dates were DMG in June, MM in July and PHB in Aug. That would have had H1 our really early and great for DM's...

But I could be all wrong.

Voss

First Post
MerricB said:
Sunless Citadel was $10 for 32 pages, 8 years ago.

If it's $25, that's for 64 adventure pages + preview pages (32? 16?) + 3 poster maps.

It was my understanding that the rules preview would be eating into the adventure page count. Not that there would be additional pages.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads