• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

price of H1 Keep on the Shadowfell

Rykion

Explorer
edveal said:
If I remember correctly the timing issue is because WotC changed the release date of the core books. I think the original dates were DMG in June, MM in July and PHB in Aug. That would have had H1 our really early and great for DM's...

But I could be all wrong.
The original dates were PHB in May, MM in June and DMG in July with H1 coming out in April. The change might have spoiled the preview aspect of H1 a little, but I really prefer having the core 3 all at once.

Henry

Autoexreginated
MerricB said:
Sunless Citadel was $10 for 32 pages, 8 years ago.

If it's $25, that's for 64 adventure pages + preview pages (32? 16?) + 3 poster maps.

The value per page isn't the issue, the entry cost of a preview product is what I'm getting at. That's only about 5 or 10 bucks away from the PHB itself.

malraux

First Post
To be fair, the equivalent 3e product was not the sunless citadel, it was the D&D Adventure Game. It retailed for 15 buck, included a rules preview, pregened characters, and an intro adventure with maps.

So the price has doubled, in nominal dollar value, (18.50 in real). But the included maps are likely much better, and the adventure probably doesn't suck. Its at least worth comparing equivalent products.

beverson

First Post
Henry said:
The value per page isn't the issue, the entry cost of a preview product is what I'm getting at. That's only about 5 or 10 bucks away from the PHB itself.

To be fair Henry, it's not JUST a preview product. It's the first in the new series of modules, PLUS a preview of the rules.

That said, I personally could care less about the preview aspect, I'm buying it to see how they structured and built a 4e module, and to see if I want to use it as the springboard to my new campaign.

Beckett

Explorer
Henry said:

But it's still considerably less than the PHB, the MM, and the DMG. For the group that likes D&D but is unsure about 4E, Keep on the Shadowfell is a much better deal for trying out the game.

SupremeBadgerLord

First Post
Propagandroid said:
WotC said at GAMA that all the modules would be 96 pages and $29.95.

Not true.

H1 Keep on the Shadowfell: $29.95

H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth: $24.95

H3 Pyramid of Shadows: $24.95

FR1 Scepter Tower of Spellgard: $24.95

P1 King of the Trollhaunt Warrens: $24.95

P2 Demon Queen's Enclave: $24.95

bert1000

First Post
Does anyone know whether the quick start rules are in addition to the 96 pages or included in the 96? If included, that is really a steep price for those that already plan to buy the core books.

sunbear

Explorer
questing gm said:
I run this when it is released with the preview rules
then i'll run it again once i get my hands on the core books ;)

Yea me as well. I will be playing with my 9 year old son and a few of his cousins so it will be interesting to see if they can learn from their mistakes.

edveal

Explorer
sunbear said:
Yea me as well. I will be playing with my 9 year old son and a few of his cousins so it will be interesting to see if they can learn from their mistakes.

I would also be interested to see how well they can figure out the rules from the quick start rules. Given that they are not too far off from what I am seeing as WotC target audience.

Remove ads