• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

price of H1 Keep on the Shadowfell

cthulhus_pinky

First Post
Lanefan said:
Easy to say we're going to get ripped off *again* in Canada if that pricing holds up...the two currencies are at pretty close to par these days and there's no way in hell it costs an extra $8 per unit to ship 'em up here.

If anyone from WotC happens to read this, please explain the US-Cdn pricing difference. Thanks.

Lanefan

I think that the US subsides there books (like a lot of other stuff, but lets not get into it). Yeah that stuff can really tick me off, since at one point the Can$ was worth more than the US and we were still getting ripped off on books.

*Back on topic

I won't be picking up the book right off, but may after I get the "core" books depending if I can get a group together in my neck of the woods. On the other hand I might just throw my own campaign together. It sounds like it will be easier than it was in 3.x.

Alkiera

First Post
cthulhus_pinky said:
I think that the US subsides there books (like a lot of other stuff, but lets not get into it). Yeah that stuff can really tick me off, since at one point the Can$ was worth more than the US and we were still getting ripped off on books.

I used to work with a US company that wastrying to branch into Canada... Shipping product there was very annoying due to taxes. Canadians would order, pay the price+/-exchange rate to CDN, which was expected(about $120CDN for our product) ... then it would show up at their doorstep with a ~$40 CDN tax fee tacked on at the border.

The only way to get around it was to establish a physical location in Canada, ship them by truck from the US to the canadian location, and then ship them to canadians from there. We would then have to increase the price for Canadians to allow for the additional costs of bulk shipping to Canada, supporting this second location, workers, etc.

The taxes are killer.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
H1 is an adventure that, most likely, will take PCs from 1st level to 4th level (so they're ready for H2 in a couple more months).

It also has preview material.

From the Media Fact sheet:
"Get a jump on 4th Edition with Keep on the Shadowfell™, a D&D® adventure for characters of levels 1–3. This adventure includes a quick-start rulebook, an adventure booklet, a players’ booklet, 3 poster maps, and pre-generated characters. Additional adventure content will be presented on D&D Insider™ (www.dndinsider.com). (96 pages)" - http://www.enworld.org/images/4e/4ekeeponshadowfell.pdf

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Mearls on Keep on the Shadowfell:
There will be leveling in the adventure, you just don't have options as you go up. It isn't the best situation, but we had to work with the page count of the adventure.

I'm not sure of the race/class breakdown. I co-wrote the adventure, and then a second team created the characters and the fast play rules.

There are a few ways you can look at it:

1. If your group wants to play 4e but hasn't followed the boards or still has a 3e game to wrap up, this is a fast, easy way to start playing.

2. If you want to get a jump start on learning 4e before the core rulebooks come out, the module is a good "first run" of the game. You play KotS, learn the rules, get everyone up to speed, then start in on the full game.

3. If you just want an adventure and don't care about the fast play stuff, KotS goes from level 1 to 3. The quick start materials will be handy as a reference for players who don't yet have a PH. If you want the full options of the PH, you might want to wait for the PH or let the players re-do their characters.

4. If you're not crazy about published modules and you can wait for the PH, KotS isn't for you.

So, basically, how much do you want an adventure, and how long can you wait to see the 4e rules? Those two questions determine if H1 is going to make you happy.

More from Mearls
I think between the DDXP characters and the stuff in KotS, you'll be mostly covered. Like I mentioned above, I'm not 100% sure on the characters in the adventure, but I think you'll have most bases covered. I'm not sure there is a warlord in KotS, and I don't know which races we went with.

Even if it doesn't exactly cover what you need, the adventure is a good way to introduce the new rules to everyone. You can jump into playing without everyone taking the time to read the PH and learn the system before making characters. We intentionally designed the adventure with a fair amount of story, NPC interaction, and plot so that it is a full fledged D&D experience. It isn't a simple dungeon crawl - if you stripped out the quick start rules and pregen PCs, it would like at home alongside any other low-level adventure.

From here: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=930145&page=2

Cheers!

Rechan

Adventurer
Man that's frustrating. I want to know what classes/races there are. And hwo can they NOT put the Warlord in? Grrgrr.

(Tired of seeing the DMXP chars. :))

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Rechan said:
Man that's frustrating. I want to know what classes/races there are. And hwo can they NOT put the Warlord in? Grrgrr.

(Tired of seeing the DMXP chars. :))

I'm sort of amazed that we don't know more about H1 yet. (Obviously the core book previews are overwhelming everything). Mike posted those excerpts above about a month back. I'm trying to find out more.

Cheers!

ki11erDM

Explorer
SupremeBadgerLord said:
Not true.

H1 Keep on the Shadowfell: $29.95

H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth: $24.95

H3 Pyramid of Shadows: $24.95

FR1 Scepter Tower of Spellgard: $24.95

P1 King of the Trollhaunt Warrens: $24.95

P2 Demon Queen's Enclave: $24.95

That. I am fine with. But only if they are all close to 96 pages. And honestly I would really like it if they did something like the Pathfinder where they gave campaign world data or other back story to the adventure. Like deep knowledge on towns or regions in the adventure.

And for people that think $25 (retail) is too much I paid $20 for my crudely bound black and white 1st addition books in the mid to late 80s. /sigh I am getting old : (

Imaro

Legend
ki11erDM said:
...And for people that think $25 (retail) is too much I paid $20 for my crudely bound black and white 1st addition books in the mid to late 80s. /sigh I am getting old : (

Comparing apple and oranges. The problem with an adventure is, unless you have more than one gaming group, it is a one shot deal. There is no reusability factor unless you move to another group. Oh yeah and I believe it's $30 for the first adventure, just $4 under the PHB. Sorry but I'm not confident enough in WotC's ability to produce really good adventures that I'm willing to drop $30 blindly. Wait for some reviews and then maybe I'll get it.

Propagandroid

First Post
SupremeBadgerLord said:
Not true.

H1 Keep on the Shadowfell: $29.95

H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth: $24.95

H3 Pyramid of Shadows: $24.95

FR1 Scepter Tower of Spellgard: $24.95

P1 King of the Trollhaunt Warrens: $24.95

P2 Demon Queen's Enclave: $24.95

I assure you it is true that WotC (Bill Slaviscek, to be precise) said at GAMA that all the books would be 96 pages and $29.95. Final pricing may or may not reflect that.

Remove ads