• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Price this Magic Item for me

Trench

First Post
I'm running a PbP City Watch game in Ptolus. As a result of the format, and the fact that most of the PC's are actually somewhat honest- loot often goes unclaimed or left. So I'm trying to make up for it. The PC's are currently 3rd level.

I recently awarded them a message badge, inspired by the magic item from the Blackcloak Watch pdf sold right here on EN World. That magic item runs for 2500 gold and can use the message spell between recipients of the badges within 150 feet. For the Ptolus campaign, I want to extend that range to 1500 feet, as Ptolus is a large city. This will allow PC's to communicate (they split up often on investigations) but also prevent it from being horribly abused if they're a few districts away.

Is it just a simple matter of adding the extend spell range metamagic feat and up the price? Or could I mitigate the price a bit by making them similar to walkie talkies, forcing them to speak as opposed to whisper a la the message spell and prevent them from abusing the real sneaky properties?

So how much would a message badge with a range of 1500 feet cost?

darthkilmor

First Post
Trench said:
I'm running a PbP City Watch game in Ptolus. As a result of the format, and the fact that most of the PC's are actually somewhat honest- loot often goes unclaimed or left. So I'm trying to make up for it. The PC's are currently 3rd level.

I recently awarded them a message badge, inspired by the magic item from the Blackcloak Watch pdf sold right here on EN World. That magic item runs for 2500 gold and can use the message spell between recipients of the badges within 150 feet. For the Ptolus campaign, I want to extend that range to 1500 feet, as Ptolus is a large city. This will allow PC's to communicate (they split up often on investigations) but also prevent it from being horribly abused if they're a few districts away.

Is it just a simple matter of adding the extend spell range metamagic feat and up the price? Or could I mitigate the price a bit by making them similar to walkie talkies, forcing them to speak as opposed to whisper a la the message spell and prevent them from abusing the real sneaky properties?

So how much would a message badge with a range of 1500 feet cost?

This sounds very similar to Thoughtstones( p.166 in the ptolus book ). Maybe they're powered by a rogue element in the city, and have to work within a certain range of say, delvers square, in order to function? Or have a monthly fee? Just tossing out ideas.

Aside from that... 2500 gp sounds like an awful lot for an at will 0'th level spell....
Spell level(0, but 1/2 for this purpose iirc) x Caster level(1) x 2000 gp x 1.5(for duration 10 min/level) = 1500 gp.

Per the Artificiers Handbook...such an item would cost...1445 gp, for a continuous use Message, with the range increased from medium(100ft +) to Very Long(1 mile +), for what thats worth.

The problem is there really isn't anything RAW to increase the range of a spell, as far as I know. You could create a 1st level Message that has a range of 1 mile per caster level and use that as the basis.

Trench

First Post
darthkilmor said:
This sounds very similar to Thoughtstones( p.166 in the ptolus book ). Maybe they're powered by a rogue element in the city, and have to work within a certain range of say, delvers square, in order to function? Or have a monthly fee? Just tossing out ideas.

Aside from that... 2500 gp sounds like an awful lot for an at will 0'th level spell....
Spell level(0, but 1/2 for this purpose iirc) x Caster level(1) x 2000 gp x 1.5(for duration 10 min/level) = 1500 gp.

Per the Artificiers Handbook...such an item would cost...1445 gp, for a continuous use Message, with the range increased from medium(100ft +) to Very Long(1 mile +), for what thats worth.

The problem is there really isn't anything RAW to increase the range of a spell, as far as I know. You could create a 1st level Message that has a range of 1 mile per caster level and use that as the basis.

They are basically low-range thoughtstones. I didn't want the group to have the ear or access to the high-end powers of Ptolus, as thoughtstones are basically AOL IM for DnD. The message badges are, in fact, based and created on the same magic technology. One of the players has made a clandestine deal with the Pyramid, and this is one of the initial benefits.

The thoughtstones are priced at 10K. And in the Blackcloak Watch pdf, the message badges- with range of 150 feet- is priced at 2500. If you're telling me that increasing that range wouldn't make much difference in price, hey my players will love that. Gives them more loot down the road.

darthkilmor

First Post
Trench said:
They are basically low-range thoughtstones. I didn't want the group to have the ear or access to the high-end powers of Ptolus, as thoughtstones are basically AOL IM for DnD. The message badges are, in fact, based and created on the same magic technology. One of the players has made a clandestine deal with the Pyramid, and this is one of the initial benefits.

The thoughtstones are priced at 10K. And in the Blackcloak Watch pdf, the message badges- with range of 150 feet- is priced at 2500. If you're telling me that increasing that range wouldn't make much difference in price, hey my players will love that. Gives them more loot down the road.

Well, except you have to talk for Message, thoughtstone's only require mental action.

The price of them only really matters if they're going to sell or buy them, but if its a clandestine deal then they probably couldn't sell them to Myraeth's at least, and you said it was a reward so they didn't buy them right?
So...why price them?

Trench

First Post
darthkilmor said:
Well, except you have to talk for Message, thoughtstone's only require mental action.

The price of them only really matters if they're going to sell or buy them, but if its a clandestine deal then they probably couldn't sell them to Myraeth's at least, and you said it was a reward so they didn't buy them right?
So...why price them?

Basically to keep track of the PC's loot and to get an idea of how much I should give themor not per adventure. I've been pretty stingy due to their circumstances and they're rather behind on the DMG PC wealth chart.

thompgc

First Post
MIC has several items that allow communication
Sending Stone (1400gp) allow 1 per day sending to whoever has the other stone.

There are a few other items but I don't recall the names.
So if you have the MIC may want to have a look.

Remove ads