Princes of the Apocalypse Basic Rules Supplement

I like that they're doing this, I like it a lot!

Heh. WotC releases a free rules PDF with 55 pages of content letting people pkay PotA with the free Basic rules, and half the people here just want to complain that it wasn't hyped in the book.
While there should have been a plug, that's some serious stretching for a complaint. WotC really can't win...

Yes, *some* sort of insanity must be involved if you're suggesting a copy of the PHB (same price and page count) but stripped of everything non-basic... :-o ;-) :p

I was more thinking one basic book reflecting what it is free online [(320 pages - 3 sections) (Part 1) four races, four classes, how to play, equipment, paired down spell list, (Part 2) how to DM, magic items and treasure, (Part 3) Monsters] as a printed convenience to players who are playing Basic Rules only 5E.

It isn't a big deal either way since most people seem to be fine with the free PDF. Something with some art and some sidebars to fill in any gaps might be appreciated by some though and the development cost would be minimal if you are reusing art or pulling stuff from previous editions as illustrations if they want to give it a distinct look.

I was more thinking several years down the road once errata has been issued, etc. I am not trying to replicate the 4E Essentials experiment or go back to having a basic game and an advanced game.

I was more thinking one basic book reflecting what it is free online [(320 pages - 3 sections) (Part 1) four races, four classes, how to play, equipment, paired down spell list, (Part 2) how to DM, magic items and treasure, (Part 3) Monsters] as a printed convenience to players who are playing Basic Rules only 5E.

It isn't a big deal either way since most people seem to be fine with the free PDF. Something with some art and some sidebars to fill in any gaps might be appreciated by some though and the development cost would be minimal if you are reusing art or pulling stuff from previous editions as illustrations if they want to give it a distinct look.

I was more thinking several years down the road once errata has been issued, etc. I am not trying to replicate the 4E Essentials experiment or go back to having a basic game and an advanced game.
A Basic book would be cool after some errata is released. Softcover wouldn't be bad.
And sidebars would be awesome. Basic is cool but it's not really formatted for new people.

Bupp

Adventurer
Cool. A good move by WotC.

But: if they keep doing this, how long until the whole DMG and MM are available for free? :)

That's what I'm hoping for.

I use my google drive as my own personal SRD, adding in house rules and options from blogs that I copy and paste in. I do the same with all these free pdf's they are releasing. Since I use my laptop during games, I just open all the tabs I need before starting the game and have it all right there in front of me. Switching tabs is easier than scrolling through a pdf or flipping through a book.

Benji

First Post
I think it's wrong.

**SORT OF SPOILERS BUT VAGUE**

There's a adult bronze dragon mentioned - I can't find one in the Adventure, yet another colour of dragon is missing...Also is there a living purple worm anywhere in the dungeon?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
A live purple worm features in one of the later cult retaliations (I think chapter 5).

I can't find a bronze dragon in the adventure either.

Agamon

Adventurer
Heh. WotC releases a free rules PDF with 55 pages of content letting people pkay PotA with the free Basic rules, and half the people here just want to complain that it wasn't hyped in the book.
While there should have been a plug, that's some serious stretching for a complaint. WotC really can't win...

It's the internet. If they included a $5 bill in every book, there would be some people that would complain it wasn't a 10 or 20.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It's the internet. If they included a $5 bill in every book, there would be some people that would complain it wasn't a 10 or 20.

And other people would be mad that they included the cash at all, rather than just take five dollars off the price of the book, since it's just more work for DM that way.

And of course, let's not forget the people mad that it was a $5 bill rather than five singles in the book, because lower numbers are easier for new players to use and understand, and we have to think of the new players!

;)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads