• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Princes of the Apocalypse campaign recaps

Nailen

Explorer
More thoughts on PotA.
I'd like to boost the magic item count a bit, so I've decided that each outpost/keep leader will have a magic item/weapon.
Thurl Merroska - Vicious Sword (extra damage on a Crit, otherwise just has magic property)
Shoalar Quanderil - Dagger of Venom (take an action to activate and it covers itself in poison. I gave it to him rather than Jolliver because I didn't think a wereboar would need a magic weapon)
Hellenrae - a ring that grants an extra Ki point per day
Elizar Thingy - undecided, but he is/was a druid and there is a druid in the party. Suggestions?

I wanted to give out something useful, but not too powerful.

Nebulous

Legend
Sounds fun.But what would you have done if Imix had been defeated?

He could not have been, even if worse case scenario, he just needed a single action to Teleport away and the good guys couldn't have prevented that. Which reminds me, didn't past editions have more "Teleport Lock" kinds of spells to prevent these easy escapes?

More thoughts on PotA.
I'd like to boost the magic item count a bit, so I've decided that each outpost/keep leader will have a magic item/weapon.
Thurl Merroska - Vicious Sword (extra damage on a Crit, otherwise just has magic property)
Shoalar Quanderil - Dagger of Venom (take an action to activate and it covers itself in poison. I gave it to him rather than Jolliver because I didn't think a wereboar would need a magic weapon)
Elizar Thingy - undecided, but he is/was a druid and there is a druid in the party. Suggestions?

Not a bad idea. How about bracers of defence? Ring of protection against fire? Staff of the woodlands?

Nebulous

Legend
More thoughts on PotA.

I added a few magic items to the campaign but not a whole lot. In general I have kept 5e far less magical than any other D&D game I've run. As far as suggestions, I would HIGHLY suggest giving the druid Elizar a Staff of Spike Growth & Entangle.

I have severe issues as DM with Spike Growth in 5e. It's too good for a 2nd level spell. I cannot tell you how many times it has completely messed up the enemy, either through straight damage, or it stops them in their tracks to prevent pursuit. Sure, that's the point, but it's only 2nd level!!!

Am I missing something about this spell? It seems too good, but it's all fair, I would spam it against the PCs and see what they think. Give Elizar a Staff of Spike Growth AND Entangle and judiciously use it.

I had given Thurl Meroksa a magic weapon too, but it was EVIL aligned. I don't recall exactly but I think it could crit automatically once a day and then feed him back half those hit points, so it was like a lifedrinker.

One of the Fire priests or the Flamewraths has a Ring of Maximized Cantrip Damage. That's surprisingly nasty.

Lizzie has a Staff of Unholy Flame, casts fireball at 5th level, half of that is unholy damage that cannot
be negated by fire resistance or even barbarian rage.

Nailen

Explorer
As far as suggestions, I would HIGHLY suggest giving the druid Elizar a Staff of Spike Growth & Entangle.

I have severe issues as DM with Spike Growth in 5e. It's too good for a 2nd level spell. I cannot tell you how many times it has completely messed up the enemy, either through straight damage, or it stops them in their tracks to prevent pursuit. Sure, that's the point, but it's only 2nd level!!!

Am I missing something about this spell? It seems too good, but it's all fair, I would spam it against the PCs and see what they think. Give Elizar a Staff of Spike Growth AND Entangle and judiciously use it.

I had given Thurl Meroksa a magic weapon too, but it was EVIL aligned. I don't recall exactly but I think it could crit automatically once a day and then feed him back half those hit points, so it was like a lifedrinker.

One of the Fire priests or the Flamewraths has a Ring of Maximized Cantrip Damage. That's surprisingly nasty.

Lizzie has a Staff of Unholy Flame, casts fireball at 5th level, half of that is unholy damage that cannot
be negated by fire resistance or even barbarian rage.

Staff of Spike Growth and Entangle sounds good - I will check it out. Is it in DMG, or did you make it up? And I would certainly get him to use it against them. :)

I like the idea of a Ring of MAXIMUM DAMAGE!!!!11OMG

I thought Barbarian Rage only gave resistance to bludge/pierce/slash damage?

Nebulous

Legend
Staff of Spike Growth and Entangle sounds good - I will check it out. Is it in DMG, or did you make it up? And I would certainly get him to use it against them. :)

I like the idea of a Ring of MAXIMUM DAMAGE!!!!11OMG

I thought Barbarian Rage only gave resistance to bludge/pierce/slash damage?

I made it up, and I also made it charged based so it is guaranteed to run out of magic at some point. I'm not a huge fan of daily rechargeable magic items.

Oh, the barbarian is some high level totem bear, I think he shrugs off everything.

Oh god, yesterday I noticed a BIG F-up we have been doing for a long time, the barbarian has been quartering fire damage between potions of fire resistance and his bear totem resistance, which is clearly a no no. Somehow none of the five of us noticed this rule. If we had, the barbarian would easily have been dropped once or twice in the past.

Nailen

Explorer
Ahh, yeah OK. My party are all down at 3rd level at the moment. We haven't reached the heady heights of totem bears yet... :)

I can see good and bad in daily recharging items. Something that does it's thing once per day is one thing. Having 10 charges per day might seem a bit too powerful. Although, the Wand of MM has 7 charges, and I think it is a great item.

Ahh, yeah OK. My party are all down at 3rd level at the moment. We haven't reached the heady heights of totem bears yet... :)

I can see good and bad in daily recharging items. Something that does it's thing once per day is one thing. Having 10 charges per day might seem a bit too powerful. Although, the Wand of MM has 7 charges, and I think it is a great item.

That wand sees a lot of use from my (also 3rd level) party too!

Remove ads