• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Printing scale maps from PDFs?

Wonka

First Post
I assume this is the proper forum for my question, please point me in the direction of the right one if it isn't.

I've seen people post pics of maps they have printed out and cut into rooms to place as they are explored, and I love the concept. Im DMing a session for the first time with my new group and want to try and make a good impression. Now my question is this: how can I print these scale, 1" maps from the images in pdfs? I understand that a lot of the images aren't going to be high res enough to look absolutely perfect, but Id still like to try just so I can at least see the results of maybe just one print. I dont think my group is going to care all TOO much if they dont look perfect, just having the rooms to lay down will be very helpful as is. My google fu is weak, and Im not having much luck in finding any results. As far as software goes, I have accsess to GIMP, but no photoshop for this poor guy. Any tips, or kindly prods towards a guide for something like this, would be appreciated! Thanks.

Hodag

First Post
I open the pdf in Acrobat. Select the Image and copy it. Then open Graphic Converter (I'm on a Mac) and Create New Image from Clipboard. I then count squares on the X or Y axis and proportionally rescale the image so that the square count is in inches. I then Save it as a multi page PDF and take it to Kinko's so I don't kill my ink cartridges. I did all the maps in H1 and H2 this way and it's worked perfectly. I just tape the individual pages together with masking tape on the back.

Also while the map is open in graphic converter, I wipe all the monster/NPC start positions with the Clone Tool, so the players won't have any idea until figs are placed.

Last edited:

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Also while the map is open in graphic converter, I wipe all the monster/NPC start positions with the Clone Tool, so the players won't have any idea until figs are placed.

Yeah, this is what my current DM does for KotS and it works really well. Although he cuts them into sections of what the characters can see when they get to certain corners, etc.

What's a Clone Tool btw?

Nebulous

Legend
I open the pdf in Acrobat. Select the Image and copy it. Then open Graphic Converter (I'm on a Mac) and Create New Image from Clipboard. I then count squares on the X or Y axis and proportionally rescale the image so that the square count is in inches. I then Save it as a multi page PDF and take it to Kinko's so I don't kill my ink cartridges. I did all the maps in H1 and H2 this way and it's worked perfectly. I just tape the individual pages together with masking tape on the back.

I did basically the same thing with a PC and Photoshop...although it lacked the ability to spread it across pages like the Mac does. That would have been useful. I counted off 8x10 pages and broke the maps up like that.

EP

First Post
What's a Clone Tool btw?

In Photoshop (and I'm assuming other graphic programs), it's a tool that allows you to quickly copy/paste small section of the image and replace it with something else. For example, you can wipe out room number on a map by using the clone tool to replace the area of the room number with an area of similar floor without a room number. Easy peasy when you know where the tool is.

ebertran

First Post
it's easier to do this in photoshop:
with the square tool, select a square on the grid... then with the select tool (the arrow), hold down tab and drag the selection... it creates a copy of the square you selected, then just place it where you want it, cover a square with an enemy or whatever... 5 seconds of your time....

how much does kinkos charge too print out?

darjr

I crit!
I've tried all of the above. I was never quite happy with the results or the effort required. I've since found Poster Printer. It lets you select just the part of the page you want when you print, and the blow it up to multiple pages. It prints with cut guides and alignment guides for later trimming and assembly.

I've used it several times. It installs as a printer driver.

I've got a decent laser printer.

Edit: oh and from there you choose the print output, so you could print to a pdf 'printer' driver to create pdfs to print at kinkos.

Hodag

First Post
Check your graphics program's Layout settings in Print Properties or the like. Most of them will print to multipage overlapping.

I use the clone tool so that I can grab appropriate areas with shadows, so that it's harder for the players to spot the edits.

ebertran

First Post
Also, if you are going to take the time to print out these maps, I'll tell you what I did... A roll of clear box packing tape is 4 bucks... it serves as poor man's laminate, you can dry erase on it and everything...

The parts of the map can serve me later on as a dungeon tiles of sorts to create more areas, and the lamination makes them durable....

Just my 2 cents...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads