Privateer Press - Iron Kingdoms Character Guide AT THE PRINTERS! - See .pdf preview

blindrage

Raging blindly since 1969
Red Spire Press said:
Good things take time. You can pretty much guarantee that when this book is released, it'll be fantastic. I say that as both a player and a fellow publisher.

After two and half years of being told it at some point in layout and watching other companies put equally good products, I m going to keep my lack of faith with Privateer Press. Until I'm proven wrong.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
You know, books don't get worse because they come out later. How does the release date have ANYTHING to do with the quality of the finished product? The only concerns I have are "Does it rock?" and "Can I afford it?" I'm reasonably confident the answer to the first question is "Dear Lord, Yes!!!!" and as for the second, well... we'll see.

But to dismiss it because it's late I just don't get.

I don't care how long it takes the IK boys to get their work out the door. I'm confident it'll be awesome when it arrives. That's MY faith.

Setanta

First Post
The preview looks cool. I don't care that it's late; it's coming out and it should be good, so I'll buy it. Based on what I know of the two companies previous works, if I was going to pick between this and Eberron, I'd take IK (but really, I'll buy both).

blindrage

Raging blindly since 1969
barsoomcore said:
You know, books don't get worse because they come out later. How does the release date have ANYTHING to do with the quality of the finished product? The only concerns I have are "Does it rock?" and "Can I afford it?" I'm reasonably confident the answer to the first question is "Dear Lord, Yes!!!!" and as for the second, well... we'll see.

I don't care how long it takes the IK boys to get their work out the door. I'm confident it'll be awesome when it arrives. That's MY faith.

The point I'm making is I'm tired of seeing previews of a book(s) that was suppose to be out three years ago. And I'm tired of hearing the lame excuses about why it's so late. If the book(s) is good, I will buy it but it not high on list like the new WoTC setting is. At least it's being put out on time too.........
:\

Setanta

First Post
blindrage said:
The point I'm making is I'm tired of seeing previews of a book(s) that was suppose to be out three years ago. And I'm tired of hearing the lame excuses about why it's so late. If the book(s) is good, I will buy it but it not high on list like the new WoTC setting is. At least it's being put out on time too.........
:\
I think there's a difference between WotC, which is staffed by a bunch of full time game designers, and a company like Privaterr who are guys with day jobs that work on RPG stuff in their spare time. Besides the differences in resouces, WotC has done this before, so they know what to expect. The Privateer guys had probably never written a book of this magnitude before, so it probably ended up being way more work than they orignally anticipated. It seems more of these small publishers are learning to not announce things until they're almost done. PP doesn't seem to have learned that lesson, but still, I'm willing to cut them some slack. I'm just glad this is finally coming out.

Karl Green

First Post
For me... interest has gone WAY down. I was very excited about this, but after a year or so I moved on... now a year after I gave up it is coming out AND so my interest level in it is pretty low. I will look at it and if it blows me away I will pick it up BUT it has to complete now with a lot of other stuff that is similar (not the same but similar) and so is going to have to REALLY stand out it is not worth the cash right now

Banshee16

First Post
barsoomcore said:

I have to admit I was pretty disappointed in how long it took Privateer Press to put out the book. However, I also know that they're small, and recently became aware that these guys are doing this in their spare time, with full-time jobs. It's not like they're putting in 9-5 days, Monday-Friday, working on it.

I'm willing to put up with the delays if the end result is an awesome product, and I haven't been disappointed yet.

That having been said, everything else they've put out has been really cool....and they're more willing to put an edge on things than WotC is. So I plan on buying it. I might even buy Ebarron as well, and combine elements of the two...but mainly keep it Iron Kingdoms.

Iron Kingdoms and Ebarron seem relatively similar....but Iron Kingdoms is a black powder style of Steampunk, whereas Ebarron is a high magic style of Steampunk, so they're coming at it from different angles, but it should be possible to combine elements.

That having been said, I just hope that my local shop orders it....when I last brought it up they just laughed, not believing the book would ever come out. I guess I'll need to call them and remind them to order some copies.

Banshee

Nighthawk

First Post
I may or may not purchase the IK role-playing books mentioned. My interest in it has dwindled as well. Ironically, I am a solid fan and customer of the Warmachine wargame, so I guess it's worked out for the better in the long run. :)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I think it may finally see the light of day. I think that this book was hit worse than most by 'the curse of steam'. (Sorcery & Steam - late. OGL Steampunk - late. Steam & Steel - late. Sorcery & Steam-Trains... last heard from in August of 2003... A mighty potent curse that.)

The Auld Grump

Last edited:

Remove ads