• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Profanities

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
As long as my kids can use the words properly in a sentence and know when NOT to use them for their own good, I'm content. I'm generally on the side of the fence that believes suppression of the language is a bad thing.

That said, the rules of the forum are the rules of the forum and we all have the power to set our own rules in our own places.

Ranger REG

Explorer
BoGGiT said:
And motivating the rules with having 13 year olds feeling comfortable whilst browsing the forums? Are you kidding me? I must have been seven or eight when I first learned the F-word (in english, I mean), and I doubt it's much different overseas.
At seven or eight, you don't think about the effect on children, simply because you were a child at the time.

But when you're an adult and started to have kids or be around with kids (like a teacher), profanity is not something you want to impress upon children. You have to show restraint, so they can learn to have restraint. The last thing you want is the kid (who may or may not be your own) to say a profanity in an inappropriate place (e.g., church) surrounded by other adults and when asked, the kid ratted you out.

I don't know if any socieities allow that. Don't see them saying profanities (unless translators show restraint) while doing press conferences or any world news reported here.

Dioltach

Legend
Nyaricus said:
I should also mention I work with the pubic 40 hours a week

Nice typo for this thread, Nyaricus!

Me, I tend to swear a lot when I'm speaking Dutch (I'm English, but live in the Netherlands). But that tends to be mostly because the people I speak Dutch with are my rowdy friends. I rarely use foul language in English, and in fact my wife can tell that I'm *really* angry when I use the F word.

My wife, on the other hand, is from the Caribbean, and regularly lets fly a fluent stream of curses in Papiementu. But that's OK, because it's probably the best language for swearing in that I've ever heard, and nobody can understand what she's saying.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Dioltach said:
My wife, on the other hand, is from the Caribbean, and regularly lets fly a fluent stream of curses in Papiementu. But that's OK, because it's probably the best language for swearing in that I've ever heard, and nobody can understand what she's saying.
But would your wife do that in front of children who are fluent in her language?

Nyaricus

First Post
Dioltach said:
Nice typo for this thread, Nyaricus!
Awww, shucks - you're on to me. Okay, okay, I admit it - I don't actually pump gas, I wax hot Hollywood-type ladies at an upscale salon here in the 'Peg, and make over 500 grand a year doing it. I live the high life, have a 10-car garage and my backyard could fit a couple football stadiums comfortably.

... or it was either a slip of the hand or a Freudian slip :eek:

cheers (;) ),
--N

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Nyaricus said:
I wax hot Hollywood-type ladies at an upscale salon here in the 'Peg, and make over 500 grand a year doing it. I live the high life, have a 10-car garage and my backyard could fit a couple football stadiums comfortably.

"I buy a dozen cars when I'm in the mood. I hire somebody to chew my food. I'm an upwardly mobile dude. This is the life!"

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
What does everyone think about "fake" profanities, like Battlestar Galactica's "frack"? They use that a lot in some recognizable permutations: frack it, fracking idiot, mother fracker. Obviously it gets past the censors.

Is it the word we object to, or just the context?

Huw

First Post
I think the general rule about online profanity is a good one. Don't do it, you don't know who's reading.

Anyway, a while back I had a friend who was playing an early MMORPG which had anti-profanity rules and GMs who enforced it. Several of us are chatting in his room, with him casually playing the game. He needs to get away from the computer, so he messages the people online, "'Scuse me a mo, I'm just off to bum a fag."

Now, in Britain, that means "I'm going ask one of my friends for a cigarette". 'Course, the server was in the States, and a US GM heard and told him off.

On the flip side, all you Americans keep offending us Brits with your obscene "F*nny packs" :eek:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
jaerdaph said:

Given that "we" are a very large group, I doubt there is a single answer. Collectively, I think we react to a mixture of things - sometimes the word, sometimes the intent, sometimes both.

Thus, on these boards, it is not safe to simply replace the word if we can tell what you meant. Nor is it safe to use words that are technically legal in and of themselves, but when put together have a profane meaning.

For a group this size, nice matters.

Ranger REG

Explorer
jaerdaph said:
What does everyone think about "fake" profanities, like Battlestar Galactica's "frack"? They use that a lot in some recognizable permutations: frack it, fracking idiot, mother fracker. Obviously it gets past the censors.

A thin line, much like people used "fudge" for the same F-word as "frack" it replaces in one's dialogue.

But used too often (one F-word per sentence), it could also become vulgar in context.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads