Professional GM: Possible Return

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
You don't want to "limit" who you market to, but you also don't want to be so generalized (generic?) as to miss out on people. If you're running RPGs, especially just one game (D&D 4e), then you probably want to market the best way you can to that audience specifically. I mean, if that's what they are looking for, they are going to search for things like:

Dungeon Master
Dungeonmaster
DM
Narrator
Storyteller
Game Master
Gamemaster
Gamesmaster

In fact, if you can do any kind of SEO analysis, I'd dump those exact terms into Google and see what comes up with more hits, and what the top hits of each one is.

I.e., if you're going to be DMing Dungeons & Dragons, you want to name yourself after whatever comes up on Google first when looking for the game Dungeons & Dragons. Therefore, I suspect Dungeon Master and DM would be the best bets.

If you look at this from an SEO standpoint (search engine optimization, for the unlearned), that could help you and your marketing (ESPECIALLY of your website) a whole lot.

And if you're only doing a specific region/city/area, you should probably incorporate something like that into the name as well (or at least as a subheading).

Random (hopefully not completely stupid) examples I thought of in 2 seconds:
"New York's Greatest Dungeon Master for Hire" (The Above Domain Name is For Sale email us at nyc@nyc.com for price quote)
"Dungeon Master Meetup NY" (DAVIDMORGANPHOTOGRAPHY.COM)
"Dungeon Master for Hire: NYC's greatest DM" (Index of /)
"NYC Dungeon-Crawl: DM for Hire in NYC for D&D 4e Games" (www.nycdungeon.com)

If you use the word dungeon prominently, just make sure you make it clear that you're not selling some kind of BDSM service!

Moleculo

First Post
Captain Commando, you sound bipolar/manic. Not that a bit of mania doesn't help in an entrepreneurial endeavor, but--to put it nicely--you're clearly thinking entirely too optimistically. Take a step back and review your plan.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Having now read all of this hoopla from the start, CC appears to be a bit too optimistic, but is not outside the realm of realism that many people claim him to be.

He's gone back to the drawing board on his ideas at least 2-3 times. He's detailed scenarios (more than one) and sought feedback on them. He's done some market research (but missed some variables...and admitted it).

Honestly, I think he's onto something, but the issue is really that it's such a niche, and one that carries stigma with it to boot. It's not like a Trekky trying to create a new, more local Star Trek convention. It's more like a guy who loves only the tribble episode of original Star Trek, and who wants to market a roleplaying game entirely based around tribbles. It's like a really small niche inside of a small niche that's inside of a kinda medium-sized niche that a lot of people who aren't in that target audience look down upon because they think it's "immature."

Think of it this way: CC is really just trying to be like a Con games DM. He's trying to get some groups together who wouldn't otherwise be together (like convention goers), he's trying to market why his game is the best one to sign up for (like any Con DM who's name isn't already found in the writing credits of already published D&D books) and he's trying to make a buck or two off of it (just like Convention groups already do). It's also like setting up an online roleplaying service like Fantasy Grounds or whatever one of the pay ones is. Except you don't need a computer, you just show up to the library or wherever the heck he holds this thing.

Will it work? I think he's too optimistic about some of his data, but there's definitely an audience there. It's just smaller than he might think, or it's going to require some really focused, hard marketing/advertising to get to them.

Will it sustain him with extra cash? That's the most doubtful part. I think he'll find gamers, but enough to cover anything more than his base costs? I highly doubt it.

At the same time, I saw how some local stores held LARPs and they made a KILLING off of those. They banked hundreds of dollars on that stuff every month, and the operating costs were pretty small.

Dathalas

First Post
Hey, Captain ...

Have you ever thought about selling your adventures through PDFs online?

I don't need your DMing services, but I'm always on the lookout for interesting new adventures.

It's also great for you because you do the work once yet get paid for it again and again. It could be a great way to supplement your income.

Good luck and take care.

ADDED:
Oh, and you might want to check into running online games for profit using something like MapTools and Skype at unusual times.

There are a lot of gamers that can't find a game in person because they have weird schedules that might be willing to pay if you could find them a group.

A lot of these people appear to be professionals, so they would probably be willing to trade their money for the experience.

I think people would be willing to pay more if they received valuable features like playing on atrractive maps and pre-written macros.

Last edited:

Flatus Maximus

First Post
Au contraire!

This thread (and all its various siblings) is/are the most entertaining thing(s) I have read on the 'net in years.

I don't know which I look forward to more: updates to Sepulchrave's story hour, or updates to Captain_Commando's thread(s).

You said it, brother. My heart skips a beat when this thread drops off the first page.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
This thread is not a acrobat, nor does it wear a sombrero. It may be hiding under a pile of apples. Roll 2d6 and consult the following chart:

1-2: CC trademarks "Gamemastertute" and becomes the next Bill Gates.
2-5: CC publishes "Tales of a Corporate DM: The Inside Story" and becomes the next Stephen King.
6-9: The thread spontaneously implodes under it's own inertia.
11-12: Roll again, ignoring any apples, acrobats, or DM's for hire.

Au contraire!

This thread (and all its various siblings) is/are the most entertaining thing(s) I have read on the 'net in years.

I don't know which I look forward to more: updates to Sepulchrave's story hour, or updates to Captain_Commando's thread(s).

I agree it's entertaining. But it still makes me want to smack myself in the forehead.

Olaf the Stout

Hey, Captain ...

Have you ever thought about selling your adventures through PDFs online?

ADDED:
Oh, and you might want to check into running online games for profit using something like MapTools and Skype at unusual times.

If the adventures are a hit, then I'll definitely consider selling them.

The online thing sounds interesting. That might be something to look into later on.

UPDATE
I'm thinking about going with the name "Storyteller Solutions" for the business. I'm leaning towards "game coordinator" for my personal title on business cards.

The services will include:
1. Self-contained prewritten adventures (original, published, and custom order). An additional preparation/design fee will be required for custom orders depending on the scope of the request ($10 to $100+). Both hourly rates and set fees will be offered depending on the adventure used.
2. Special wargames with lots of miniatures and specially prepared "battlefields" (original pre-designed and custom order).
3. DM consultation and tutorials.
4. LFR modules (As soon as my RPGA membership comes through and I take the Herald test).
5. Design work for character backgrounds and homebrew settings. Some DMs might be too busy to flesh out their games as much as they would like to. Fee will vary depending on the scope of work requested. (minimum $20)

Selling adventure modules written for the business may provide an additional source of income.

Hourly rate will likely be $15-20 per hour. Set fees for running adventures will range from $60 to $120 (based on complexity of the adventure and amount of preparation required). Special gaming locations may be offered. Otherwise a list of standard locations in the city will be given.

Marketing will be done through multiple meetup.com groups including business networking groups. The services will be sold both as a social gaming experience and as a company team-building exercise. Fun, educational adventures may be offered as a family activity service.

Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition will be the system of service offered since it is the most "up to date" version, has the recognizable brand name, takes less time to prepare for, and it is beginner friendly. Most potential customers are likely to be beginners and time is limited so 4th edition is the logical choice. Adventures for other systems may be offered some time after the launch of the service.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
This thread is not a acrobat, nor does it wear a sombrero. It may be hiding under a pile of apples. Roll 2d6 and consult the following chart:

1-2: CC trademarks "Gamemastertute" and becomes the next Bill Gates.
2-5: CC publishes "Tales of a Corporate DM: The Inside Story" and becomes the next Stephen King.
6-9: The thread spontaneously implodes under it's own inertia.
11-12: Roll again, ignoring any apples, acrobats, or DM's for hire.
Who has suprise - Captain_Commando, us, the apples, or the Gazebo?

Remove ads