Professional GM: Possible Return

Hereticus

First Post
Captain Commando,
As someone who had his own business (I was a self-employed contractor to corporations doing management and quality stuff), one of the lessons I learned is that in order to get contracts I needed to have good references and be known as a professionally competent person. in other words to know people and be known by people.

My suggestion to you is to write some short stories and have them published on your home page. Perhaps you can have them linked to here or at WotC.

Once you have gained some notoriety, you can sell your services based on running adventures that are based on your stories, or any other topic.

One other comment... dump the childish "Captain Commando" moniker and select something that most people wouldn't be ashamed of being known as in public.

Last edited:

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
The short story isv one of the best made in this thread. I don't live in you catchment area but nothing on this thread would entice me to pay for you DM'ing services. That said there is a fanfic I have been reading (Buffy/D&D crossover) and if I lived near the writer I think I would pay to play in the campaign world.

The short story isv one of the best made in this thread. I don't live in you catchment area but nothing on this thread would entice me to pay for you DM'ing services. That said there is a fanfic I have been reading (Buffy/D&D crossover) and if I lived near the writer I think I would pay to play in the campaign world.

You know this is a brainstorming thread for ideas and not an advertising thread, right?

Hereticus is right about placing samples of writing on the business site. I'll definitely do that.

As for references and having a reputation, that's what meetup.com brings to the table.

My moniker makes people happy. I don't think that's anything to be ashamed of. Especially for an entertainer.

Anyway...

I'm fiddling with how I handle client fees. I want things to be fair for the client while protecting me from being taken advantage of. Tell me what you think.

Let's use the following price for example. $72 for a pre-made adventure session estimated to run 4 to 5 hours.

At the end of the first hour (not the beginning), a client must pay at least $15 of the fee. At the end of each half hour afterwards, an increasing fraction of the payment becomes mandatory in increments.

The client doesn't have to pay full price if the session is cut short or becomes unsatisfactory. The initial presentation is guaranteed to be satisfactory or no fee is demanded during the first hour.

I won't lose too much if the client ends the session prematurely.

The client doesn't have to worry about the session being rushed or prolonged. I can focus on making the experience fun and immersive instead of worrying about the time.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Ugh. It's painful enough paying someone once. Paying someone five times over a session is crass and annoying. Even if I had convinced myself to pay you at the beginning I'd have changed my mind after two hours, no matter how good you are.

Ugh. It's painful enough paying someone once. Paying someone five times over a session is crass and annoying. Even if I had convinced myself to pay you at the beginning I'd have changed my mind after two hours, no matter how good you are.

Hahaha.

But just in case people take that reply seriously, the increments are added up whenever the session ends. Payment is not demanded every hour.

It's a set amount so the client knows exactly how much must be paid for the full session and increments so that clients can't short-change me after 5 hours of work + prep time.

catsclaw227

First Post
I'm fiddling with how I handle client fees. I want things to be fair for the client while protecting me from being taken advantage of. Tell me what you think.

Let's use the following price for example. $72 for a pre-made adventure session estimated to run 4 to 5 hours.

At the end of the first hour (not the beginning), a client must pay at least $15 of the fee. At the end of each half hour afterwards, an increasing fraction of the payment becomes mandatory in increments.

The client doesn't have to pay full price if the session is cut short or becomes unsatisfactory. The initial presentation is guaranteed to be satisfactory or no fee is demanded during the first hour.
What happens if the adventure is cut short because of your schedule or an emergency that you need to handle?

Will the clients be fully reimbursed because you ended the game prematurely?

Remove ads