Programs to organize campaigns

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
DM's Familiar has a basic tree-view tool in it as well - The Codex Tree. You can use it to write your adventure but you can also use it to drop in D&D specific things - rules, spells, monsters, etc. So you can have a note that has the text for your room, and a link you can click to open the monster that is there, and a link to open up the spell that is the monsters special ability, etc. Andit has a combat manager if you can get a laptop to your game table, et.c

Roleplaying Master has a tree-view tool init as well.

Dunnjinni (or however they spell it) from Fluid is a mapper and writing tool combined. My understanding is that it is the part that was pulled from E:Tools.

soulcatcher

First Post
GMGen has a notes system as well

GMGen has a tree based notes system that is very capable. GMGen is a part of PCGen that gives the user a quickly broadening set of tools for gming. Also note, PCGen/GMGen are Open Source, and completly free.

Everything you write is stored as HTML, you have most general word processing functions - and if you need better ones, you can edit the file in any other html editor (I had to do this for tables, a feature I will add some time soon)

But it does have undo, redo, cut, copy, paste, font resizing, bold, italics, undeline, color, lists, numbered lists, image embedding, and right-center-left justification.

You can also drag and drop files on a note to store and launch them from gmgen, including pcg (PCGen character files), and gmi (GMGen encounter files). The Notes system is designed for world notes, as well as being a vehicle for creating modules, and using gmgen to run said module.

You can fetch gmgen at PCGen's Website When you do so, be sure to download the 5.6 full version (the partial version does not contain gmgen). Note, you do need Java 1.4 for PCGen/GMGen.

One final thing - if you find a problem with the notes system, or it does nto support a feature you would like, you can always contact me, or submit a bug on pcgen's bug submission/feature request site (on the webpage). And I will do my best to get to it ASAP.

Devon Jones
GMGen Silverback
PCGen Board of Directors

Here are some screen shots:

Attachments

• Notes_SS1.jpg
    Notes_SS1.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 576
  • Notes_SS2.jpg
    Notes_SS2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:

Mystery Man

First Post
soulcatcher said:
GMGen has a tree based notes system that is very capable. GMGen is a part of PCGen that gives the user a quickly broadening set of tools for gming. Also note, PCGen/GMGen are Open Source, and completly free.
Here are some screen shots:
And its tabbed. Holy crap! :D

One feature I noticed about Myinfo that I cant find in any of the others is being able to imbed other programs like Word, Excel etc.

DaveStebbins

First Post
I had been using the free version of MyInfo for several years. I upgraded to 1.9, which was the last freeware version, not too long ago but was not happy with the lack of features.

So, compared to what I already had, I am very impressed with Keynote. Formatting, hyperlinks, spell checker; I've got a new toy! It's also free, and only about 3 MB. I carry my campaign info and notes, as well as the MyInfo/Keynote program, on my three-year-old, 32 MB, USB thumb drive, so a smaller program is a plus.

[old guy does the happy dance :D ]

Thanks for the thread.
-Dave

AutoSponge

First Post
I started using GSNotes to input my campaign. So far I really like it. It has some limitations mostly with importing tables, but otherwise it handles the data very nicely. Links are very easy to set up and stable, I only wish I could drag and drop within GSNotes (maybe I can, just don't know how yet). I would have liked added functions like dice bags and combat matrix but I'm glad it wasn't programed in Java, so I'll keep it.

mafisto

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
Anyone know what happens after 30 days and you don't register?

What I really want is a program for writing adventures. For example, I'd like it to promt me to enter a synopsis, background, flavor text, maps, room descriptions, monster stats and all that. Then, when it's done, you just hit "Format" and it takes all your data and formats it into an adventure that looks like it came straight from Wizards themselves.

That'd be sweet.

Is there a list of which of these features would have been included in e-tools anywhere? Or a list of adventure requirements, like the list you've started but I'll assume is incomplete?

It occurs to me that I'd like something like that as well, and it's certainly within my capability to create. I just need a reference for whatever requirements would be necessary.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
mafisto said:
Is there a list of which of these features would have been included in e-tools anywhere? Or a list of adventure requirements, like the list you've started but I'll assume is incomplete?

It occurs to me that I'd like something like that as well, and it's certainly within my capability to create. I just need a reference for whatever requirements would be necessary.
Thougt I had one of the first promotes for E-Tools but have been unable to find it, too many years ago. But it was to be a module designer, it was to use the game mapper for Arcana (sp) to produce 3d maps for viewing on a PC. It was also to allow you to added notes DM and player, link it to and area, so when you published it was produced in a clean print format, much like what you see by Wizards.

Remove ads