• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Prone & Forced Movement: Saving Throw or No?

-Avalon-

First Post
I know it says if a creature if forced into dangerous terrain (pit/lava/etc) it gets an immediate saving throw to attempt to stay safe, but falls prone if successful...

If the creature in question is already prone from rolling a successful save due to forced movement, and it is forced again in the same round... does it get another saving throw? Or is it more difficult to save? How does this work, I can find no rules to govern this... only assumptions.

DracoSuave

First Post
Neither. Being prone does not affect saving throws in any way.

However, it will affect the chance of the forced-movement power hitting in the first place.

elecgraystone

First Post
Well, this seems easy to me. If you are forced into forced into dangerous terrain (pit/lava/etc) you get an immediate saving throw and the result is your gaining the prone condition. If it happened again, the same thing happens again. It's just that prone doesn't stack meaning you are still prone.

Think of an attack that can cause slow. Would you say that I couldn't use that attack if the person is already slowed? A person can continue to gain the same condition over and over again.

Bottom line it never states that you can't have that you some conditions make it so you can't make the save. Unconcious, dying, prone etc doesn't stop you from making the save because there aren't any conditions in the PHB other than you need to be forced into dangerous terrain.

Larrin

Entropic Good
You fall prone so you can "grab something" to stop you from being pushed over a cliff. If you are already prone, you still can "grab something". it isn't the falling prone that saves you, its what you do while prone, so starting from prone in no way inhibits your ability to not fall off a cliff.

-Avalon-

First Post
Ok, Thanks for the info!! We had that come up in last session, and... we had to make a temp judgment, which was that prone does not stop you from making the saves.

Just wanted to make sure this was something that others agreed with =)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads