Proposal: Adjustments to Time Experience

Velmont

First Post
Also, as I have said in another thread, there is more than one proposal at the moment who is toward higher level/more XP. We already double encounter XP, and that was not very far away.

I suggest to be cautious, because once people will level too fast, it will be too late to take it back. So I suggest to go one step at a time and evaluate the need afterward.

DMDanW

First Post
Like I said, I was just brainstorming something different and in no way meant for it to be a serious proposal. Simply then look at allowing 3rd characters to be made at paragon plain and simple. All I'm saying is that I'd rather see a separate system for those who want to play higher level characters rather than implement a blanket system that accelerates the advancement of every PC out there.

I think that already with the time xp, doubled encounter xp and DM credit opportunities, characters are advancing fairly quickly in regards to the actually time relevant for the character.

Sure this is pbp and it is slow going at times, but to simply develop and institute a system to fast track all characters seems unwise. I personally enjoy seeing my characters grow and develop and kind of feel cheated when they advance too fast. All too quickly a character goes from fighting kobolds and goblins to battling demons and dragons, and when that progression happens too quickly something feels lost.

This is just a personal opinion of course and it is something that also reflects in the RL games I have played in the past and if the community feels it better to accelerate the advancement of PC's then so be it.

renau1g

First Post
All too quickly a character goes from fighting kobolds and goblins to battling demons and dragons, and when that progression happens too quickly something feels lost. [/FONT][/COLOR]
]

That's why I have my first level PC's battle dragons from the start :p

evilbob

Explorer
Having read the positions well-presented on both sides, I think many points have merit. That said, my own opinion is that I would vote for double, triple, quadruple, or more XP in a heartbeat. (I doubt this is surprising given my other proposal.) I disagree with the cautions of others; you can always make a lower level character, but you can't always make one higher. I think "leveling too fast" is impossible: we have days to ponder moves. This isn't tabletop, where it's easier to get overwhelmed. There's no need to fear the upper levels: the game goes to 30 for a reason.

Frankly, I would vote for starting paragon PCs - but I think that idea's a bit much for this thread. :)

renau1g

First Post
Yeah in JNC's game it would've been pretty crappy if Murphy was there as the death would lead to certain...let's say complications for his identity, like Pis over in LEB.

I believe that I've had my level 1's face some tough competition with a Black Dragon Wyrmling, but I think the Chef's Request crew got the tougher foe, with the Beholder Gauth being a level 6 Elite Controller as a level 1 group. I've learned my lesson since then as it was too high I think.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
I don't know. I've got a Level 12 Adult green dragon and 9 dragonkin kobolds (lvl 6 each) against a party of levels 3, 4, 4, 4, 5. They seem to be doing OK ;).

Luinnar

First Post
I don't know. I've got a Level 12 Adult green dragon and 9 dragonkin kobolds (lvl 6 each) against a party of levels 3, 4, 4, 4, 5. They seem to be doing OK ;).
Did the party rise as mummy lords or something? :p

I would like to point out that (IIRC) the purpose of the proposal was to decrease the variation between xp being handed out, rather than leveling faster.

Personally I don't think X2 time xp is a lot, that is only 1 more level more per year, tops (you would have to be in an adventure all year long).

Remove ads