Proposal: Allow updated Double Weapons

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
We orginally banned double weapons based on them being well basically horribly broken.

However double weapons have been updated now and don't seem overpowered now.

I don't really have a dog in this race as I'm not going to use a double weapon, just thought we should reconsider.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
The new writeups for double weapons are in the January 2010 errata, page 27 (Adventurer's Vault) and 62 (Eberron Player's Guide). Oh, and also 72 (Dragon 368, Staff Fighting) and 73 (Dragon 372, Spiked Chain Training). I believe that's all the double weapons - anybody know any more?

(Aside: Oh my goodness, there are Dragon Magazine updates in there now! Hallelujah!)

The new rules look pretty good to me. They've addressed the problem of weapons getting 2 weapon types simultaneously (double swords are now Light Blades only, the Ugrosh is now an axe on one end and a spear on the other, not two ends which are both spears and axes), and they've addressed the problem of every side of every weapon being off-hand (now there's a main end and an off-hand end). The Double Sword is still off-hand on both ends, but at least now it's obviously deliberate and since it only does 1d6/1d6 damage it's not remotely overpowered for a Tempest Fighter (must represent a very light sword). There's more use of Defensive than I'd like but I don't think that's enough to make it broken anymore.

YES

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The only wonky bit is that the Talenta Sharresh is still marked as a polearm though it isn't given reach (polearm is defined as having reach in the books). Otherwise, I like them a lot (and were pretty much what we did over in LEB pre-errata anyway).

elecgraystone

First Post
The only wonky bit is that the Talenta Sharresh is still marked as a polearm though it isn't given reach (polearm is defined as having reach in the books).
It's got halfling reach! ;)

Seriously though, the Sharresh was made to give small creatures access to polearm feats and such, so it's an exception to the polearms = reach.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Seriously though, the Sharresh was made to give small creatures access to polearm feats and such, so it's an exception to the polearms = reach.
I understand it, but its still in this nebulous has reach/doesn't have reach realm. They only needed to change the def'n of polearm ("most polearms have reach").

Remove ads