Proposal: Approve Dragon 373

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
FYI, there's a paragon feat in AP called Relentless Curse, which does the same thing as Insidious Curse, only with a much smaller investment.

I don't know how I feel about the Rod of Reaving combos. On the one hand, I don't think one item plus one feat should turn a striker into an incredible minion killer. On the other hand, the Rod of Reaving is sort of garbage against anything that's not a minion.

elecgraystone

First Post
I don't know how I feel about the Rod of Reaving combos. On the one hand, I don't think one item plus one feat should turn a striker into an incredible minion killer. On the other hand, the Rod of Reaving is sort of garbage against anything that's not a minion.
Well look at it this way. Not every group has a controller. If a warlock wants to take one of his paragon feats and magic item so he can fill in at least the minion-killing part of a controllers job, that sounds fair to me. Lets face it, if your party lacks area attacks, a bunch of minions can kick your ass.

The 'Rod of Reaving combos' only step on the controllers toes if you have one. ;)

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Ok, just looked at the multiclass feats. Don't see anything wrong there. Also the technique feats:

I'm not sure I like the way Harlequin Style negates the penalty for Brash Strike and Brash Assault. (In fact, if you have a 16 or higher Cha, you now get a net bonus to your defense when using Brash Strike!)

The rest all seem fine.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Well look at it this way. Not every group has a controller. If a warlock wants to take one of his paragon feats and magic item so he can fill in at least the minion-killing part of a controllers job, that sounds fair to me. Lets face it, if your party lacks area attacks, a bunch of minions can kick your ass.

The 'Rod of Reaving combos' only step on the controllers toes if you have one. ;)

Yeah, this was pretty much the same conclusion I (eventually) came too, along with the following additions:

1. Everyone says the warlock is a quasi-controller anyway.

2. There is more to being a controller than sweeping away mooks, and the Rod of Reaving doesn't help with any of those other functions.

For Harlequin Style, it's only a boost to a single At-Will (some exceptions apply), and the user is still granting combat advantage, which is still trouble if the target has some sneak attack equivalent. I don't mind it for Brash Strike because charisma is suboptimal for fighters. As for Brash Assault, if the penalties for making the free attack are too high, intelligent foes might not take it.

Actually, I'm rather tempted to make a Tiefling Fighter now.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Gah. Stealth errata!

I posted a thread in the rules forum to ask about Fey Death (it's here) and somebody pointed out that in the Dragon article, Fey Death lets you use your Fey Step as a free action, and in the Compendium, it's listed as an immediate reaction. (The difference is that you only get one immediate reaction and it can't be used on your turn, which limits Fey Death a lot since your turn is when you usually kill people. In this case I favour using the Dragon version.)

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Ok, discussion seems to have tailed off, so time to vote:

I'm still not sure I like that one effect of Harlequin Style, but it's not big enough to be worth banning.

NO on the Orb of Entropy.
YES on the Assassin article, with the following clarifications/amendments:

1. Fey Death is the Dragon version, not the Compendium version. (This should be noted in the charter so people don't get confused.)
2. Bonuses for having more than one party member with a Guild feat apply even if they're members of different Guilds.

Remove ads