Proposal: Caltrops

KenHood

First Post
I'm just gonna throw this one out there. (Pun intended.)

Caltrops (Mundane Item)
Weight: 2 lbs.
Cost: 5 gp
Effect [Standard Action, Range 5, Single Use]: Scattering a bag of caltrops causes one square within range to become difficult terrain until the end of the encounter. Any creature entering that square suffers a +3 attack v. Reflex. If the attack hits, the creature is slowed (save ends).

[sblock=Note]Made it so that caltrops do not inflict damage because it keeps minions from dying everytime they step on one.[/sblock]

elecgraystone

First Post
As I posted in the other thread, I'd bump the price up a gp or 2 to put it in line with the alchemy items.

Other than that... the only thing that strikes me as odd is the range. It seems a bit off to throw a bag of caltrops 25' and have them scatter right. It's D&D though, so we don't have to worry too much about realism. Mechanically, it seems fine.

Ecce

First Post
As I posted in the other thread, I'd bump the price up a gp or 2 to put it in line with the alchemy items.

Other than that... the only thing that strikes me as odd is the range. It seems a bit off to throw a bag of caltrops 25' and have them scatter right. It's D&D though, so we don't have to worry too much about realism. Mechanically, it seems fine.

If you really wanted you could play 4-Square with them and roll a D4 once or twice to determine Northeast/Northwest/Southeast/Southwest square. More randomness and realism, but more complex to work out. It's similar to some chaos sorcerer's mechanics, in a way. This has a risk of covering more area, but not necessarily falling where the thrower wants it.

More specific--

Caltrops (Mundane Item)
Weight: 2 lbs.
Cost: 6 gp
Effect [Standard Action, Burst 2 within 5 (one square must be within 5), Single Use]: Scattering a bag of caltrops causes 2 random squares within the 4-square zone to become difficult terrain until the end of the encounter. Roll a d4 (1=Northeast/2=Northwest/3=Southwest/4=Southeast) to determine squares. Any creature entering that square suffers a +3 attack v. Reflex. If the attack hits, the creature is slowed (save ends).

Special:If you roll the same d4 twice one zone becomes difficult terrain that makes the target fall prone.

Last edited:

KenHood

First Post
I makes it a little more realistic, but more complicated. 4E errs on the side of abstraction, so it's best to keep it simple.

elecgraystone

First Post
LOL My point was throwing a bag of them 25' and expecting everything to stay in a 5' square or having them evenly spread out. It just seemed a bit much to me for a mundane item :p.

I think if I wanted realism AND a useful item, I'd rather have to use it in an adjacent square and know where it went than 2 random squares in a burst 2. That way with a few bags of these, a little time to prepare and the right location you could pretty much stop people in their tracks. It's hard for tactical placement with random locations.

Ecce

First Post
I makes it a little more realistic, but more complicated. 4E errs on the side of abstraction, so it's best to keep it simple.

I'd never put it in a game I DM'd, but a PbP can afford to be a tad more complex sometimes, given the fact you have about 24 hours to play out the mechanic.

Still, KISS is usually good advice.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
On the other hand, if people make a mistake, it takes a long time to go back and correct things, and rules misunderstandings blow up to become a much bigger deal. I'd say it's actually MORE important to be simple.

I don't know about the range 5. I think I'd make them a close blast 1 (so you can scatter caltrops at a pursuer without provoking an OA, but only in an adjacent square).

Stringbean2142

First Post
I don't know about the range 5. I think I'd make them a close blast 1 (so you can scatter caltrops at a pursuer without provoking an OA, but only in an adjacent square).

I like that, but would the caltrops be that effective if they're being scattered when the enemy is right there? Looking at when the players would probably be using them, I'd expect it to be when the enemy is still trying to close with them, not adjacent.

Using them when the enemy is right there, I wouldn't be surprised to have to eat an OA to go through with it. Range 5 might be a bit much, but I could see a Range 2 or Range 3, 10 to 15 feet, with a minimum of scatter-effect. I can underhand that with reliable accuracy (by comparison, horseshoes at a picnic or in a league is 30 to 40 feet to throw, and you're aiming at a one-foot area for points) and touch to keep the scatter to within 5 feet. Passed that, I'm not sure I could control both accuracy and scatter.

It really depends on when you expect clatrops to be used by the players. Will it be before the enemy's there? If so, the toss and go seems valid and calls for a range, with the threat of an OA. But if it's when the enemy's already there, JoeNotCharles's close blast 1 would probably be the way to go.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
As in, close blast 1, choose one square in the blast to spread the caltrops in? That sound pretty good to me. Could maybe make it close blast 2 (or 3?) for a little bit of range. I think much more range than that does start to stretch credibility.

elecgraystone

First Post
The caltrop would lose all of it's effectiveness if place IN a square with an enemy. No minus to move OUT of difficult terrain and no attack since the creature didn't enter the square.

How about this. Standard action to shift 1 square and place the caltrops in the square you exit. Sound good? If the person wants to use them before the enemy is on them, then they just move back after placement.

Remove ads