• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Proposal) Learner Prestige Class

Pyrex

First Post
GnomeWorks said:
I'd say 1 round/level. Also, it's about equal. Sure, it has a longer duration, but the targets have another chance to avoid it (that being by using alternative methods to avoid the gaze).

How is making everyone within range save and/or avoid the gaze every round for 1rd/lvl balanced with a spell of the same level that makes one opponent save once?

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Pyrex said:
How is making everyone within range save and/or avoid the gaze every round for 1rd/lvl balanced with a spell of the same level that makes one opponent save once?

Hmm... good question. :)

If you made it a single target each round, though, that would probably work out better, rather than affecting a cone. Which is what I think I meant, but I didn't say as such.

That better?

Macbeth

First Post
Okay, I'm still alittle torn on this. I really like the idea, GW, I really do, but I'm a little nervous about adding such big rules changes. Still, even with big changes, the class seems good. I want to get the ball rolling on this, so that we get more input. Since (a)I think this class has merit, and that, while it makes some new rules, it is still very good, and (b) I want to nudge the other judges into posting, I'm going to go ahead and say Yes to the blue mage as it stands in version 2.

Last edited:

The Goblin King

First Post
Okay, I am just throwing this out there. What about making Blue Mage a Sorcerer PrC? Have it continue spellcasting progression. Make all the Blue Magic spells Sorcerer only. In order to qualify for the class the sorcerer would have to have taken Observation as one of his learned spells, have taken the Monster Lore feat, BAB, ect.

It would work, yes? It would lose the outdoorsy feeling but except for the fact that they hunt monsters I don't see Blue Mages as being wilderness people. They are in the wilderness because the monsters are there, nothing else. They could get the same experience in a dungeon or wherever.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
I suppose that making it a PrC is one way to make it alright... it's been discussed before, and I wasn't too sure about it. However, if people don't have a problem with a 20-level PrC, I guess it's alright.

How's this for a rough draft...

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a learner, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks, Knowledge (nature) 6 ranks.
Feats: Endurance.
Spells: Able to spontaneously cast at least 2nd-level arcane spells.

CLASS FEATURES
Spells per Day/Spells Known: At 1st level and every odd level thereafter (3rd, 5th, etc), the character gains new spells per day and spells known as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of learner to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class before he became a learner, he must decide to which class he adds each level of learner for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Blue Spells: In addition to his arcane spells, the learner also gains access to spells with the Blue descriptor. These are special spells that are learned from observing or being subject to monster abilities (see Observation, below).

Unlike his standard spells, the learner gains access to blue spells based upon his Intelligence, rather than what ability his spells from previous classes are tied to.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Hey, can I get some more comments, here? Please?

Perhaps even a Judge could comment on the PrC modifications... come on, somebody say something! :)

And Judges, if you think this thing needs to get the smackdown... go ahead. I'm not afraid of the word 'no'. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads